Author Topic: Vid Card problem  (Read 621 times)

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:23 AM »
Skuzzy:
I wrote to you about a month ago on here re: my e-GEForce 6600GT vid card, and some strange colorful fragments on my screen. I have tried making changes to everything I can think of with no joy. Then, 2 nights ago I found out something else; I logged on to the website here (HT) and then logged off and into the MA, and no weird fragments. I flew for about 2 1/2 hours with no problems at all. I tried it again yesterday afternoon, and sure enough the same thing happened; I log on to an internet site first (HT) then log off, and log on to AH2 arena (offline) and fragments are gone. I have a coupla screen shots but cannot post em up here.
All DX diag tests for direct draw and direct 3D functionality results= no problems found.
I am stumped ;( If you can help or explain this I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

My system specs are:

Dell Dim 8300 3.0 ghz P-4
Creative SB live sound card
EVGA GEF 6600 GT 128MB AGP 8X
512 MB ram
DX ver. 9.0c
CH Control Manager device USB Pro-throttle; USB Fighter stick

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Vid Card problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 03:11:01 PM »
I have a feeling its the video drivers your using .. some drivers work great on certian manufurers cards ..on same card diff man they wont ..

also pay attention to cpu temp and case heat . you maybe throttling back on the cpu and causing a bottleneck .

another thing that can relate to this is a weak powersupply .. (youll ussually get alot of crashes though )
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 04:41:38 PM »
Roscoroo:
Thx for the response. The only thing weird here is; when I go online to this website BEFORE I log into the arenas; I log off the internet (from here) and then I log onto the AH game arenas, I do not get the vid color fragments.
I only get the fragments when I attempt to log directly into the AH main arena or offline.
I have considered a new power supply; in fact Skuzzy suggested that.
I rolled my drivers to older ones for my card and, I still got the weirdness. Within the past week I reinstalled my vid card software; reinstalled DX, and installed newer Det drivers (v. 77.77) and still got the display problems ingame. So, I just tripped onto the HT internet thing a few days ago, and I get a smooth, clear display ingame once I log onto this site and BBs.
I tested this 2 hours ago; it just won't work by logging on to any website, it has to be this HT site and the BBs :noid

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 04:48:27 PM »
Firewall ,AV, or a firewire/wireless routor problem ..

does ah work fine offline ???  if it does then thats were id start looking next . it seams wierd but well ya never know .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 06:04:53 PM »
Yep, it sure does work fine offline but, only AFTER I log on here first.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 06:09:54 PM »
its a stumper ...

perhaps something to do with the cache file ? .. im still wondering if it could be AV/firewall ect type thing too .
Roscoroo ,

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 05:32:25 PM »
Roscoro: I have the aces high location set up in windows firewall as an exception. I don't know how that can be a problem though. I will try shutting my firewall down and try to logon, to see if I still get the weirdness.
Oh and I need to add to my system specs, I am using Windows XP as mu OS.

Hey Skuzzy, if you want to wade in here I'd appreciate it ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 05:42:29 PM by Don »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Vid Card problem
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 05:51:46 PM »
It's just wierd.  I cannot fathom why it would act like that.  Sounds like init issues in the driver, which could be caused if you have an onboard video chip which is not disabled and the drivers for it are not removed.

Other than that, I am scratching my head.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 07:38:26 PM »
>>Other than that, I am scratching my head.<<

Yeah Skuzzy. I have tried just about everything I have read about or know. Still, when I log onto this place first, then shut it down and logon to the arenas the problem goes away. In fact, I actually like my vid card's performacnce on the whole. The one thing I haven't tried is to do a complete re-install of AH.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Vid Card problem
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 06:53:03 AM »
You can try re-installing Aces High, but I am thinking a fresh OS installation might be in order.

There is one other possibility.  Make sure "fast writes" are disabled in the system BIOS ROM for the AGP slot.  Could be the problem.

I would also remove the CH control manager.

Get back to basics and see what happens.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Vid Card problem
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 09:54:24 AM »
Sometimes you cannot see the forest for the trees.

Don, do you happen to have two comm devices in your computer, such as a modem and an Ethernet card?

Windows can get confused about which interface to use for its network connections and Internet Explorer would correct the problem, allowing Aces High to work.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 02:16:34 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Don, do you happen to have two comm devices in your computer, such as a modem and an Ethernet card?

Windows can get confused about which interface to use for its network connections and Internet Explorer would correct the problem, allowing Aces High to work.

he may have removed one/ added a card or different connect at sometime with out getting it clean  , Or it couldbe that old firewire/usb type problem . I think were starting to look in the right place ... opening a browser to gain the connect .... hmmm

also adding a card in the wrong slot could cause the ole irq conflict ..
Roscoroo ,

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Vid Card problem
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 09:10:48 AM »
Rosco/Skuzzy:
I will look into the 2 comm thing and the vid card placement. I won't get to it for a coupla days but, I will check it out. I do have an ethernet card loaded with two other PC's hooked up to it, and the dial up modem which came loaded in the PC is still there too. I have a cable modem which I have for my cable service as well, and I don't recall if I disabled the original modem.