Author Topic: Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2005, 09:00:06 PM »
this thread needs to be closed...

thanks Yeager for ruining a discussion about the topic, and most importantly, making Art's life so mundane....

mlm
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2005, 09:06:04 PM »
bodhi,

your welcome.

and there really is no reason to close this thread.  Everyone has been polite, with the exception of bodhi but even then it was a really weak attempt at being lame.

When a guy climbs into a cockpit and takes off, he knows the risk.
I mourn the mans passing, he was doing what he loved.  but I mourn dearly the destruction of a beautiful airframe as well.  The people factory is crunching out babies at a grizzly pace, the F6F factory closed about 60 years ago.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2005, 09:39:19 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
bodhi,

your welcome.

and there really is no reason to close this thread.  Everyone has been polite, with the exception of bodhi but even then it was a really weak attempt at being lame.

When a guy climbs into a cockpit and takes off, he knows the risk.
I mourn the mans passing, he was doing what he loved.  but I mourn dearly the destruction of a beautiful airframe as well.  The people factory is crunching out babies at a grizzly pace, the F6F factory closed about 60 years ago.

This is such a dumb statement I have a hard time believing it.  When my good friend crashed and was killed in his AT-6 performing at an airshow was the airplane worth more than the life inside of it?  Human life comes first.  An airplane is metal, wire, plastic and rubber.

Any airplane wouldn't be special if it wasn't for the people who flew them.  I can't say don't forget that, because it seems you never knew it.  Consider that a free lesson.  I'll say it again.

NO airplane would be special if it wasn't for the people who flew them

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2005, 09:41:27 PM »
someone has to stick up for the airplanes.  

You guys want to kill them all to enjoy your own silly obsession......THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF AIRFRAMES, THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF PEOPLE

LIKE I SAID: PILOTS KNOW THE RISK
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2005, 09:46:37 PM »
someone has to stick up for the airplanes.  

You guys want to kill them all to enjoy your own silly obsession......THERE ARE A LIMITED NUMBER OF AIRFRAMES, THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF PEOPLE

LIKE I SAID: PILOTS KNOW THE RISK

You ran out of argument about a page ago.  Capital letters aren't going to salvage it.

Again...

Airframes are metal, wire, plastic and rubber.  You wouldn't give a damn about them if it wasn't for the people who flew them.

The airplane is a tool.  Like the M-1 Garand, the bayonet and the bullet.  The F6F didn't shoot down a single enemy fighter.  It was the pilots.  The people.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2005, 10:10:56 PM »
You wont be happy until you have destroyed every vintage warbird.

there is no argument here.

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2005, 10:15:42 PM »
You're right, there isn'y.

No one should stick up for the planes. They, as well as everything mechanical, can be replaced.

A life cannot. Every pilot knows the risk, but that does not make his life worth less than the airplane.

Try telling that to his family, or his friends. Try telling that to anyone who has been killed in a vintage plane crash since the war ended. These aircraft, no matter how valuble or rare, are just machines. They're just tools used to accomplish something. The pilot's life is not worth less than that.

Every last warbird WILL eventually be destroyed by time itself. No matter where it is, airborne or not, time will destroy every single one. You're not going to gain anything by hangering them for all time.

And there's far less damn good pilots than there are vintage aircraft.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2005, 10:18:15 PM »
You wont be happy until you have destroyed every vintage warbird.

there is no argument here.

Pretty sure that violates at least one of the now infamous BBs rules.

I'm not sure you get it...I'm not 'riled up' by your posts.  I'm very calmly and cooly calling you a troll.

But yes...I find great joy in watching warbirds crash.  In fact...it's developed into a fetish than just a kink.  I need it.  I run a video when I'm with the girlfriend and only climax when I see vintage warbirds wind up as twisted scrap engulfed in avgas fueled flames.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to come to terms and have only you to thank.  To you, Yeager...I say thank you.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2005, 10:23:19 PM »
No prob bro.  Glad I could help you through this.

Just remember, these old planes are rare and valuable beyond words.  Every time one is destroyed you are one closer to having none.  Do your part, preserve history.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2005, 11:36:03 PM »
Art once had to bail out of a Corsair on fire.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »
Does that mean we can lock all our WWII vets in special places where they can be kept alive for as long as we want while useless people meander by and ogle at them?

You know, those servicemen are just as old and as storied as the planes they flew. Without them, those "special" planes would be useless piles of junk just like the ones smoking in fields. I bet they can tell better stories, too.

If I wanted to know the history and mechanics of the Corsair, who do you think I would? A museum rep who studies the plane or my grandfather who flew them?

You know how much these planes cost? They have cost, you know...they ain't priceless.

Every time we lose a pilot of a vintage warbird, either one who flew them in the day or one who flies them now, we're losing a valuble part of history. We have plans for these planes...we can build them from the ground up.

We can't build another Art...we can't build another Col. Price. The pilots and the men that fly these craft are more valuble than the machine...all the time and every time.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2005, 12:06:25 AM »
Originally posted by texace
Does that mean we can lock all our WWII vets in special places where they can be kept alive for as long as we want while useless people meander by and ogle at them?  

... perhaps we could stuff them and put them on static display.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2005, 12:08:08 AM »
without these planes flying there would be a whole lot less then we have now.  Again the numbers are increasing, not decreasing.  Yes we lost 1 hellcat but others are waiting to get restored.  If they couldnt be flown they wouldnt be restored at all.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2005, 09:28:42 PM »
thats gotta suck to have to bail form such a baddazz plane

floating down wacthing that machien hit ground..

thats got to be one slooow float down

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2005, 09:42:10 PM »
Those pilots perfectly know the risks.  Any pilot knows the risks.  No one holds a gun to their head to make them fly.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"