Author Topic: Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Planes of Fame F6F from Chino Down
« on: October 09, 2005, 10:15:33 PM »
Last night, near Putnam County Tennessee, the F6F from Planes of Fame in Chino California went down, the pilot was killed.

I don't know the circumstances, other than witnesses said the plane appeared to be low and trying to make an emergency landing when it struck some power lines. The plane flew another 2-5 miles before crashing right next to I-40 near Monterey Tennessee.

The plane had been hangared in Sevierville Tennesse at the warbird museum there. I don't know where it was headed.

Update: It appears the plane may have been headed to Little Rock Arkansas to perform in an air show there next weekend. As of this time (about 10:30 PM Sunday), this is the lead story at http://www.aero-news.net.
As they update the site, the story will move down. The current header for the story is "One Dead in TN Warbird Crash".

I'm just sick. I saw this plane Labor Day Weekend at Middlesboro KY, performing at the annual "Glacier Girl" Airshow. Man, those guys are just great people, they treat you like you're one of them when you see them at the shows. It's like losing a friend. I don't even have the pictures from this year developed yet.

Pictures I took of the plane a year or so ago can be seen in my profile section at http://www.327.com.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 10:25:59 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »
That sucks.

Keep us posted on what you find out...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:33:12 PM »
I saw Steve Hinton fly the F6F here in Minneapolis when there was a Planes of Fame Museum locally.  Don't know if this is the same a/c.

Just terrible news though....

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 04:45:30 AM »
Man, sad news indeed. Yeah, they always seemed to treat the visitors as welcomed guests.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 02:27:21 PM »
I remember seeing that Hellcat, at least part of it, back in the early to mid 1970s at Earl Reinert's museum in Mundeline, IL. Musuem is a bit of a stretch actually, since it was more of a transitional warbird junkyard that contained bits and pieces of aircraft, mainly, with a few exceptions such as a nice B-26 and a B-25, a Bakka bomb and two or three Buchons about 80 percent complete. No rules, no supervision, just walk around the planes and bits of planes.

There was a lot of churn. Except for the limited selection of core aircraft there was always something new and something missing. I clearly remember one good visit (must have been nine or ten years old), where in addition to a razorback P-47 complete and flyable, a P-51 cockpit area you could sit in and a Saki 21 mounted in the open on a stand, there was a Hellcat fuselage sitting on its grear, sans engine and outer wings. In researching Reinhart history I came across a reference that it provided the core of the Chino aircraft.

Sad for the loss of the pilot and sad for the loss of history, in this case some personal history.

I have some photos of the museum from 1972 I will scan in soon and post. Quite the intersting place, shut down as an "eyesore" in the early 1990s as the farm fields around it had become yuppie housefarms (a real eyesore, IMO).

Charon
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 02:30:00 PM by Charon »

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »
They just released the name of the pilot. It was Art Vance, 64, of California. It appears the plane experienced engine problems and he was unable to to keep it in the air.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 06:08:47 PM »
Art Vance

Very sad.

IIRC that was an F6F3. I know I have pics of it on my home machine. Will post them later.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 07:23:36 PM »
According to the Planes of Fame site that was their F6F-5, assigned to the East coast tour.

SaVaGe

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 08:31:55 PM »
S!

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 09:25:03 PM »
Sad seen this plane many times. 4 or 5 years ago Me.Mathman.funkedup.mietla and 6 or 7 other A/H's went to the Chino Airshow. Mathman was drooling over it for hours. Mietla had pictures of all of us in front of it. Maybe he will see this and post them.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »
Not sure this is it.. but

2005 POF Chino

2004 POF Chino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:05:43 PM »
The top plane has the wrong N number, the second plane has the right markings.

I just looked at the inventory list on the Planes of Fame site, and the top plane matches neither the file picture for the F6F-3 nor the F6F-5. In the file pictures, both F6F's are painted in USN markings in those pictures, but the F6F-3 picture is from 2003.

This is the F6F-5, and is the plane that was assigned to the East coast tour. It is also the plane I saw last month at Middlesboro KY.

I just looked at the Planes of Fame site. The VP of Planes of Fame says it was in fact the F6F-5. I looked at my pics and the N number of the plane involved matches the F6F-5 in my pics.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 10:14:19 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »

SaVaGe

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 08:58:15 AM »
This sounds cold I know..... but any more info on the condition of the aircraft?

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 09:45:48 AM »
Yeah, I saw what was left. The VP of Planes of Fame is right, the plane is lost. The area where it crashed is VERY heavily wooded, with the average tree being a lot bigger than a telephone pole, and came down on a solid rock bluff. I thought about driving up to see it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I've seen enough already. Having seen this sort of thing before, I'd say the pictures don't even show how bad it really is.

You might be albe to see for yourself, do a search for the three local stations, WSMV, WTVF, and WKRN. Their archives may still have the footage online.

SaVaGe

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 12:55:02 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
They just released the name of the pilot. It was Art Vance, 64, of California. It appears the plane experienced engine problems and he was unable to to keep it in the air.

I think you need to wait for the FAA report before you make any statements regarding the crash.  

Obviously the new'sees are so full of accurate information....
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.