Author Topic: How does an EP-3 ram a fighter?  (Read 4209 times)

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
How does an EP-3 ram a fighter?
« on: April 04, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
China states they want an apology for the US aircraft intentionally hitting the Chinese fighter. How does a four-engined, large, heavy plane turn fast enough to catch a fighter off gaurd, and if so, why would the pilot do it if there's another fighter around. Both planes had to have seen each other, and unless the fighter had his wings in the EP-3's windshield, it wouldn't happen. Methinks that the Chinese pilot screwed up, hit the plane, then the wingman said the Americans did it.

What do you think?

------------------
semperfi

Everything dead in 30 minutes or less or the next one's free.
-Marines

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 04-04-2001).]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
I say that's what happens when you get used to icons.

Nath-BDP

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2001, 06:57:00 PM »
They must have AH collision model in real life.

Simply fly infront of a bomber close enough that you miss him but on his FE he flew into you. Quite funny actually.

jato757

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
its a bunch of b.s.  they dident want us to find somthin, what im wonderin is how do you lose #1, #3 engien, whole nose cone and flaps, thats odd. and did the fighter crash land, what wast the damage on its part? anyone know?

------------------

TheWobble

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2001, 08:27:00 PM »
if that EP-3 rammed that jet...then im calling my insurance agent..that house ran into my car..its the house's fault.

China once again bolsters the worlds assurance that it is completly full of toejam.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2001, 08:52:00 PM »
The only problem with ramming one of those chinese fighters is that an hour later you already want to ram another one.

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Mk10 225th

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2001, 09:12:00 PM »
Good one Wab!

Apparently that particular Chinese pilot had been reported over the last few weeks as doing a lot of "hotdogging" U.S. planes while he was doing his "shadowing."

Mk

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
I don't know the immediate damage suffered Jato, but he crashed into the sea and died.

jato757

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2001, 10:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fatty:
I don't know the immediate damage suffered Jato, but he crashed into the sea and died.
are you serious?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
Yep, we offered help in the search for the wreckage but it was declined.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2001, 11:35:00 PM »
From USATODAY.com

"In a sign of potential political fallout from the plane crash, a Republican lawmaker who opposed granting China permanent normal trade relations last year introduced a bill that would revoke the status.

"A favored trading partner with our country would follow proper protocol and not continue to hold our servicemen and women, along with our equipment, after being asked for their return," said Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif"

DING! EXACTLY! Give the man a SEE-GAR!

Hope they're paying attention.

<EDIT> ...and this year's "WELL! DUH!" award goes to:

"The Pentagon delayed announcing a decision Wednesday on whether to buy Army berets from China as a standoff continued over a downed U.S. Navy surveillance plane and its crew."

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 04-04-2001).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2001, 08:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by Fatty:

So the Chinese say. And we know the Chinese don't lie do they....

Sorry he could have been scooped up and is now in hiding as it was his fault and they all know it. I wouldn't believe it unless they come up with his corpse and a US military official has the opportunity to check his pulse.

The chink gov are so full of toejame on this one it smells all the way here

out of oriental patience

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Tells you one thing .. better ely on sattelites for spying... pretty hard to hit these..

Oh btw.. i'm not really a fan of the chinese government .. but say a Chinese military A/C is cirling a few miles off-shore of the US-Coast how long would he fly there without being "shadowed" with some US Jokeys "hotdogging" him

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Duck,

US forces routinely intercept intelligence gathering aircraft from other nations in International Airspace.

It went on all the time during the "Cold War".

Other nations intercepted our intelligence gathering platforms. It's STANDARD for everyone.

I don't think you will be able to find very many ...if any.... instances where a US interceptor had a mid-air with an intelligence aircraft that caused either aircraft to crash or even resulted in an immediate emergency landing situation.

Further, I don't think you will be able to find very many ...if any... instances where the interceptors of other nations had a mid-air with a US intelligence aircraft that caused either aircraft to crash or even resulted in an immediate emergency landing situation.

There were instances in which the Soviet Union attempted to shoot down, sometimes successfully, US intelligence aircraft.

The major difference is that in the Cold War days, while we flew in the same areas and probably on some of the same tracks, the US never let Chinese or North Korean aircraft intercept. The intelligence aircraft just left before they could get close.<edit. I do recall that the North Koreans downed an EP-3 though.

I bet we'll be going back to that policy.

Yes, the US intercepts. I don't recall any serious mid-airs, however.

The responsibility for avoiding a collision lies with the interceptor. China is responsible here.

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 04-05-2001).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2001, 10:45:00 AM »
I recall seeing on CNN that during the cold war a russian survaillence aircraft was running low on fuel and landed in alaska. The US troops there refueled the plane and et it go back up.

Narsus