Author Topic: Wanna help?  (Read 503 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Wanna help?
« on: September 24, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »
I had posted the following in a previous thread concerning peoples use and treatment of the huge number of flags that have been purchased recently.  Most people may not be aware of the intracate customs of how to display and retire the flag properly.  The last thing I want to see is a photo op on CNN of piles of little American flags being bulldozed into some landfill 2 months from now.  I propose we try the following:

//*******************************************
Maybe the best thing to do is start one of those email chains (I know I usually hate them). Send out an email designed to educate the public on the rules and ask each recipient to pass it along to everyone on their email. Those things spread like wildfire.

Maybe Veteran organizations should offer to collect worn flags from the public when it is time and retire them in mass in a public ceremony. Invite the public to come with their children to bring the worn flags and invite them to observe the ceremony. Pass out literature while they’re there. Get a whole generation of young kids educated on their nation’s flag, its history, and customs.
//*******************************************

If you'd be interested in helping me pursue this further please email me at:

AKWabbit@swbell.net

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Wanna help?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
Just a note. In my area, Southern AZ., the Boyscouts collect old flags and "retire" them in the aproved manner. Check with your local troops.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Wanna help?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2001, 05:13:00 PM »
Ahh didn't know that!

thanks
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Wanna help?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »
Here is an e-mail that I sent today....
------------
Hello friends and fellow Americans.

Please take a few minutes to read this very important E-mail about the American flag.

Like me, I am sure many of you have a strong feeling of patriotism right now, in the wake of the events on 09/11/2001. Many of us have taken to displaying the American flag on our homes, on our cars, or wherever else we can find to display it.

It is important however, that the flag is cared for and displayed in the proper way, as it is a symbol of our country and according to US flag etiquette, considered a living thing.

These two web-page links can be a great help to those who don't know all the things about how the flag should be cared for, etc. http://www.annin.com/etiquett.htm   http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/dayart/20010914/flagdisplay.gif  

One of the most important things I think has been the display of flags from cars and trucks. Most of the flags that are available in stores are not designed to withstand normal driving speeds, which simulate winds of up to 70 MPH when driving at highway speeds.

One thing I ask, and perhaps could be passed on is for everyone to please remove flags that have been torn or ripped, and replace them with a higher quality sewn flag, instead of the inexpensive silk-screened ones that most stores are now selling.

Once a flag has become too worn, faded or torn, it should be retired from service. In some cases, it is required to destroy flags that are in extremely bad condition. If a flag needs to be destroyed, it is best done in a respectful ceremony and usually by burning.

I am planning to go to my local VFW to see if they would be interested in organizing a public gathering or a place for people to bring their worn out flags. Then, perhaps hold the retirement ceremony for the flags so that the public may watch and get a better understanding for it.

Please pass this mail on to your friends, families and co-workers. With your help, we can all know how to share in the proper ways to care for and display our American flag.

Thank you.

David Littlejohn
---------------

Please make a copy and send it to your friends and families also.

<SALUTE>

--------------------

Wing up, Get kills, Be happy!  :)

Midnight, CO
412th FS "Braunco Mustangs"
davidlj@charter.net

Offline Stalker

• Zinc Member
Wanna help?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2001, 05:27:00 PM »

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Wanna help?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Wabbit

I read your other post too. I think that is a great idea as well.

I will try to get some things going ASAP.

As for the panphlets, the last flag I bought came with someting very similar to what you describe, almost to the letter. I have it stored in my file drawer. I don't think there is any copyright on the document, but I'll check in the morning when I get home. I it's not copyrighted, I will see about geting the copies made and distribute to the local stores in my area. If it is copyrighted, I will take the info from the US codes and prepare them for printing.

I'll also do some surfing tonight for flag dos and don'ts.

Something similar to the NRA's gun safety program geared to kids would be great to get children more in tune with things also.

Thanks for the ideas Wabbit. I feel ten times better about the situation already  :)