Author Topic: Robotech  (Read 617 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Robotech
« on: July 08, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »
I don't know how many of you out there remember this series.  I think it came out in 1986.  Anyways, I remember it fondly.  I was in 7-8th grade when this series was run on TV.  I used to rush home from school so that I could get home by 4 when it was on.  My mom would ask me why I "had" to watch it.  I just explained to her that it was my version of the soap operas that she watched.  :)

Well, it is currently being released on DVD.  I just picked up the first set, which has episodes 1-12 and an DVD of extras, including various sketches and such.  Well worth it.  I think the next set comes out in August.

Oh well, just thought I would give a heads up to anyone else that remembers this adaptation of Anime.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2001, 08:39:00 PM »
why wait? you can already buy the entire Robotech collection, including the other Macross movies in a set.

Too bad they ended that series, I think its THE best mecha based anime ever done.

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
Robotech
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
I have the first set too and I am still a huge Robotech fan I would love to see a online sim for it I would leave AH for it any day to fly my mecha.  My favorite saga was the Invid Invasion and the Sentinals... but they never finished the Sentinals.  :(

Hodo

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingonads:
I have the first set too and I am still a huge Robotech fan I would love to see a online sim for it I would leave AH for it any day to fly my mecha.  My favorite saga was the Invid Invasion and the Sentinals... but they never finished the Sentinals.   :(

Hodo

Read the Jack McKinney novels if you haven't.  He finishes the Sentinels as well as wraps up the whole series.  

Interesting that Math started the thread.  I just got Set #1 last week and watched the episodes over the weekend.   :)  Looking forward to getting the next set.

Actually, the entire set you can get already is the original Japanese run Macross, not the Robotech version that Carl Macek put together.  

Math, I did the same thing when I was a kid, tho since it came on at 6 here, it was rushing to finish dinner and get excused from the table to make it to my room to watch it!   ;)  I remember how excited I was when one of my friends went to a convention and got news of The Sentinels and saw a preview of it.  Sucked that it got cancelled, though I did get what they made on tape.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Robotech
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
Do you mind telling me where you got the DVDs? I would very much like to have them. Thanks

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
you can get the box at any Best Buy.

Online you can get it for a discount.
 www.tokyopop.com  sometimes has great savings in anime, and they try hard to get the original stuff (aka, Japanese language subtitled AND english dub..dubbed in Japan that is, DVD's).

I recomend this place, my copies of Macross, Earthian, Mononoke Hime, Akira and Neon Genesis Evangelion and my sis' copies of Sailor Moon, Rayearth and Slayers (hehe, this is a cool one to watch for sheer brutal fun!) have their dubbing very well done...and NONE of that toejamty censoring you get in most other places.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »
I got mine from Amazon.com (mostly because I was shopping for books at the time.  just easy to get them all from one place)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
Robotech Simulator ... REALLY old but heck, its robotech! lol!

http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?id=1611

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Just to dig up this old thread...  Got the 2nd legacy collection yesterday, even though it wasn't supposed to be released until the 7th.  Guess Amazon got their shipment in early.  Haven't looked at the extra dvd just yet, only watched a couple of episodes off the first DVD (skipped the recapping episode tho.)

Gonna be spiffy when I've got them all.   :)  

Similar subject, any anime fans have opinions on Neon Genesis Evangelion?  I'm thinking about picking up the first of that series.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Robotech
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2001, 05:56:00 PM »
Man, now I am jealous!   :)

Oh well, got my 2nd box reserved, so hopefully the call will come next week.

Also, I ordered the remaster of the original Macross with the English subtitles.  Supposed to come out in September, but the screens I have seen look fantastic!  I also got the Akira Special Edition DVD re-release.  Talk about an awesome DVD!  My roommate, who is not the biggest fan of Anime, watched part of it, then came back and watched the entire thing.  

I am also wondering about Evangelion, though everything I have heard about it is very very positive.

-math

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
I have the first set of Evangelion movies. I dont like it. Its... umm.. how to put it... stereotypical to the point where you know what will happen. My neighbor has the last set of movies, and sure enough, from watching the 1st two you know how it ends.

Crappy storyline too.

Try EARTHIAN or Starship Troopers (yes, theres an anime version almost as old as the book. Great to watch!), Ah Megami Sama! (Ah My Goddess!), Tenchi Muyo are fun too, Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) is spectacular amongst others.

Im more interested in storyline and plot than explosions and action.

...and on the 8th day, God created Anime, and nothing else got done after that!  :)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Robotech
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tac:
I have the first set of Evangelion movies. I dont like it. Its... umm.. how to put it... stereotypical to the point where you know what will happen. My neighbor has the last set of movies, and sure enough, from watching the 1st two you know how it ends.

Crappy storyline too.

Try EARTHIAN or Starship Troopers (yes, theres an anime version almost as old as the book. Great to watch!), Ah Megami Sama! (Ah My Goddess!), Tenchi Muyo are fun too, Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) is spectacular amongst others.

Im more interested in storyline and plot than explosions and action.

...and on the 8th day, God created Anime, and nothing else got done after that!   :)

Are you referring to the movies, or the series?  There are 8 volumes of the series, then a few movies afterwards.  

I've got Princess Mononoke to watch this afternoon.  :)