Author Topic: Do I need to find something for England to do?  (Read 914 times)

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Do I need to find something for England to do?
« on: April 09, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
I think she's bored!

read this

Offline -sudz-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2001, 05:19:00 PM »
That kilosucks . . .

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2001, 02:01:00 AM »
DURA LEX SED LEX...

TheWobble

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
...transmit... Operation metric death underway.... STOP

...American infiltration successful...STOP..

brainwash complete...STOP

END TRANSMISSION

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2001, 03:33:00 AM »
It's not England - it's the morons from Bruxelles . First they debated the shape and size of bananas being sold in the EU, then a massive debate about British chocolate being not a chocolate at all cuz some brands contained vegetable fat... Now metrification crap. United States of Europe - god help us all...

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2001, 03:50:00 AM »
Moron yourself  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2001, 05:54:00 AM »
Don't remember electing Saintaw into Euro parliament?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »

then a massive debate about British chocolate being not a chocolate at all

Indeed it's not chocolate at all (tm) (speaking of the taste ...)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2001, 06:29:00 AM »
Lynx, just curious, how long did it take you to get used to Imperial measures instead of Metric? I spent only 1 month in a country that uses this archaic system, and never bought anything in grocery, so I never encountered Imperial measures. But I keep them in mind, and it's quite easy to convert them to Metric. Now we have a few 305m rolls of UTP cable marked in feet, absolutely no problems with it.

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2001, 07:52:00 AM »
Once you realise that it still takes just as long to travel 50 miles at 50mph as 80km at 80 kph you stop converting. A pint (568 ml)of milk is enough milk for a day or two. A quarter pound of ham (113g) is OK for lunch for two.

Now lets look at metrification: sliced sausage (kolbasa ) used to be packed in 113g packs (quarter pounds) now it's (thanks to Europhile jerks - nothing personal Saitaw ) packed in 100g packs and sold at the same price (11.5% price hike). When milk moves from 1/2/4 pints into 0.5/1/2 litres - another 12% price increase. Retailers are laughing their heads off no doubt...

I'm not even mentioning what's passing for a glass of beer across the Channel - you don't know what a pint is, do you? (poor suckers )

straffo - two words: onion soup (trying to keep my breakfast down )

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that "big" is bad, big countries, big governments, big corporations, etc.

Individuality and personal freedom always suffer. This EU thing is also bad. But you folks will figure it out.  

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2001, 08:13:00 AM »

Originally posted by -lynx-:
Now lets look at metrification: sliced sausage (kolbasa  (Image removed from quote.)) used to be packed in 113g packs (quarter pounds) now it's (thanks to Europhile jerks - nothing personal Saitaw  (Image removed from quote.)) packed in 100g packs and sold at the same price (11.5% price hike). When milk moves from 1/2/4 pints into 0.5/1/2 litres - another 12% price increase. Retailers are laughing their heads off no doubt...

For this kind of behaviour you have laws no ?
btw it has nothing to do with Metric or Imperial system it's more a moral/ethic (sp?) problem... and an obvious abuse of the system...

About pint (568 ml) I prefer LITER
about 1.75 pint  

straffo - two words: onion soup (trying to keep my breakfast down  (Image removed from quote.))

At least it's made with REAL (c)(tm) onion  
Not that I find it tasty We can speak about cheese  

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
Lynx, Lynx, Lynx...

The same tired old, anti-European misinformation that has been dragged out everytime the question of further European integration arises. Straight bananas, I ask you.  

While being quick to identify mistakes the EU has made, you fail to identify the many improvements EU legislation has made. In the fields of human rights, working time directives and free trade (the REAL issues at stake), the tabloids and their simpleton editors simply do not cover them.

My friend, I don't know if you realise this, but there was exactly the same kind of hoo-ha over decimalisation of British currency 20 years ago. The skeptics banged on about losing the British sense of identity and that the sky would fall in.

And did it?

Did it ****. This is exactly the same situation.

I agree this prosecution is a little over the top, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Sadly the readers of the News Of The World et al will never understand this, and we will continue to hear their supposed 'British Bulldog' spirit for evermore.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »

the tabloids and their simpleton editors simply do not cover them.
jeepers - Mr Sophisticated-in-a-Flesh, huh? Which part of "The Euro lost 20% of it's value since it was introduced" you find too simple to comprehend? That would have been your savings, your business, your life down the drain had Britain joined Germany, France et al in the Euro stakes.

Who benefits from a single currency? Large multinationals for obvious reasons. Who generates most of GDP? Give you a hint - it's not them! In 1992 Britain lost a quarter of the nation's value overnight trying and failing to stay within European ERM. Billions were spent trying to support Sterling. I can come up with better ways of spending money. I'm sure so can you.

The French striking for no reason even they can remember and me paying for it through Euro's exchange rate? No thanks. It's not even a question of losing Sterling and all history related questions (although I know what happened in the country that decided to rid itself of it's past - I lived there for 27 years) it's a question of someone trying to tie together economies of so vastly different levels via common currency that the whole thing is simply bound to collapse. You wanna be inside when it does?

Tabloids be darned - they have lots to learn from the Euro prophets on the subject how to creatively present the "whole truth and nothing but the truth"... You just need to apply a bit of brain to see the whole picture, not the stuff shoved in your face...

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
Come on Lynx!!! I don't see Germany and France in some economic quagmire, which is what you seem to be implying. Despite the Euro's difficulties, they are doing fine.

Mr Sophisticated? Not really, but if you think the News of the World is an example of journalistic excellence, then there is no hope for you.  It's time to wake up and realise GB is not a super-power, is not the global power it has been for the last 400 years.

The ERM debarcle might have something to do with the ineptitude of the Tories, not the system we were in. It was Norman 'Ormal' Lamont who decided to use up our gold reserves on shoring up Sterling.

I don't mean to offend and correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it you aren't actually British?

I'm not saying adopt EMU regardless of the situation - I'm saying it needs to be discussed, analysed and represented in a neutral light. Instead of the jingoistic, reactionary and above all xenophobic way it has been, ever since EEC was created.

Adopting the EU would be hugely popular in terms of job creation. Nissan recently said that the only reason it opened those new plants, was because the UK will eventually adopt the Euro. I don't know if you realise, but foreign companies are major employers in this country.

Above all, it's time for a rational discussion in this country. Let's get rid of all this rhetoric, which basically states that Britain would somehow lose it's history/identity if it adopted the Euro. Bollocks. If being British revolves around the name of the currency we use, then I'm afraid we are in a sorry state of affairs. If that's the common link between us, then it's time to find somewhere else to live - 'cos Britain will be going *bang* in the very near future.

I like Labour's approach to the EU, and laugh at the Tories attempt at a 'policy' on Europe. It would be quite nice if we had some decent opposition in our 'Mother of Parliaments' not a bunch of has-beens, who jump every passing bandwagon, no matter how ridiculous the cause is.

Who you voting for in June, Lynx?  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.