Author Topic: For our Russian friends  (Read 1001 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
For our Russian friends
« on: July 13, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
WHY in the heck is your country allowing the world to send its nuclear waste to you...?
xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
For the same reason your country keeps producing it - profit.
 miko

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
For our Russian friends
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
Actualy Nuclear Power isnt real big in the U.S. It could be much bigger. If we ever get a grip on Fusion I expect to see it get ALOT bigger.

Oh...and it wasnt ment as a "flame". Just a question.

Anthor question since I have your attention... how is the economic situation is Russia now? What is the actual political climate... ? Is "democracy" going to survive?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2001, 10:09:00 AM »
batdog, Fusion? lol dream on   ;) if the Humans really found a way for a working Fusion Reactor then there would not be nuclear waste anymore.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Gh0stFT ]
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Which is exactly why we keep trying.  Expect practical fusion in about 40-50 years.

- Yoj

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
For our Russian friends
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Hey!  We already have confusion here in the US.  Why just read the posts in the O'Club ... oh ... you said "fusion" ... sorreee ...

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
Well, "radiophobia" is aninternational problem for uneducated people.

Nuclear powerplants produce 100 times less radioactive pollution then ordinary coal powerstations. Look at France - more then 60% of electricity there is produced by nuclear powerplants.

As for me I - just look outside my window at work and see a bunker with one of the first nuclear reactors in the world. It's shut down now, and there is absolutely no danger.

All that "nuclear waste" hype is arised by journalists (most of whom barely can write) and politicians who want cheap publicity.

70 percent of Russia is not populated, and will not be populated in the future.

At Novaya Zemlya there are hundreeds of former nuclear test sites, each one resulting in a cavern 300-500m from the surface, that is absolutely insulated by a million-degrees fire that melted the earth into the glass condition. Millions of cubic meters of perfect containers for any toxic or radioactive waste, that can be sealed for at least million years.

Russia has the most powerfull nuclear industry in the world. Simply let it work, and feed people who are now almost starving because of pro-Western "ecologists" who get their envelops with dollars from American nuclear enterprises.

Miko is right - it's profit. And I hope this profit will be spent on further nuclear research.

BTW, 10-15 years ago at least 4 large projects of fusion reactors were started: Tokamak-15 in Dubna, European thorus in CERN, Japanese and American reactors. Since the start of this "democratisation" crap and the fall of USSR I didn't hear anything about them. Tokamak-15 had to be ready for tests in 1991-92, but I think that even if it was completed - Russian science didn't have any funds for experiments.

Maybe all that projects were "bought" by oil companies and states like Saudi Arabia? In this case I think that Soviet science had a great advantage over the Western world: the progressive research directions couldn't be closed by capitalist "marketing decisions"...

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
Send the spent rods to the moon... heh.. problem solved

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
Yes 10bears but what if the moon crashes into the earth?

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
For our Russian friends
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Send it to the sun.  :D

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2001, 01:35:00 AM »
It's stupid to send the energy-containing materials to Moon or Sun.

More nuclear stations, in current terms, save oil, as the precious material for chemical industry.

Offline ~Caligula~

• Nickel Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2001, 04:01:00 AM »
I used to be supporting nuclear power `till a friend of mine pointed out the problem to me.They might be designed safe,but there`s always the human factor.Shit happens,and when it does ,nuclear powerplants can ruin a lot of people`s life,for a long time to come.
Hell,I lived actually about 2000 miles from Chernobil when it blew up.They told us everything was cool,but we all know how governments deal with such things.Just keep `em calm ,even if they`re dying.

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
For our Russian friends
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2001, 10:00:00 AM »
I just started reading a book called "RED ATOM - Russia's Nuclear Power Program from Stalin to Today" which covers the Soviet nuclear power program. The porlogue suggests the program was a combination "reactors for peace" race against the capitalist opponents (the SU was the first to field a civilian power reactor)and the general consideration of nuclear technology as just another industiral tool requiring no deeper concern(from a safety and environmental perspective) than a steel mill or coal-fired power plant. It sould be an interesting read.

Charon

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
For our Russian friends
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2001, 02:14:00 PM »
i work in the power industry and used to suport nukes, right up to the point where i worked in one.  now i refuse any nuke construction jobs, i'll only do de-com work on them now.  mistakes are made and more effort seemed to be spent on avoiding blame for mistakes than actually preventing them.
 also every year they seem to learn more about nukes, and it's always the same thing they learned last year 'what we thought we knew was wrong' when i was in grade school they still thought kneeling under our desks with our hands behind our neck would protect us from 'the bomb'.

Offline Dmitry

• Copper Member
For our Russian friends
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Hell,I lived actually about 2000 miles from Chernobil when it blew up

Hmmm..... I was within 95 miles when Chernobil poped in 1986.... and if it would as you said "blew up" I wouldnt have the pleasure to be at this BBS now   :eek:

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Dmitry ]