Author Topic: British police officer shot during riot.  (Read 1731 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
British police officer shot during riot.
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:49:44 AM »
What the hell is a ball bearing gun? OK, maybe I can guess. That is apparently what was used in the Birmingham riots at the weekend. All I can say is thank Cod the perp could not lay his hands on something more serious than a ball bearing gun. We know what we have to thank for that.  :aok

In the bad old days before *that*, 92 officers were shot in a five year period (1908-1912). These days it's much less frequent.

*It* works, but hey - no-one ever said it worked... perfectly.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:52:26 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

It would if you outlawed ball bearings.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 04:52:57 AM »
You have to go back to 1908 for a time before your gun ban in order to cite statistics of cops getting shot....  What gives?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 05:01:37 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
It would if you outlawed ball bearings.
No, outlawing ball bearings would not do the trick. However, if we were to target the supply of ball bearings, we'd have an answer! However, ball bearings have other uses, unlike certain other types of hardware whose supply has been targeted, so we can't outlaw them. Same thing goes for cars.

Grun said
You have to go back to 1908 for a time before your gun ban in order to cite statistics of cops getting shot.... What gives?
Because that's how long ago since cops were being shot on a weekly basis. Then, in 1920...

...and since then, I know of only two cops to have been shot and killed in the past 21 years. And one of those was shot by a bullet fired from a machine gun in the Libyan embassy.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 05:10:06 AM »
... ball bearings have other uses...

Only when caged within an inner and outer race are the balls themselves useful.  One could write a law forbidding the dismantling of caged rolling element bearings and the posession of dismantled bearings outside of the companies which assemble such caged rolling element bearings.

Yes. this is a good idea, and I think civilized societies everywhere should go for it.  Now that the cat is out of the bag on the projectile uses of ball bearings the criminal element everywhere will begin to fashion ball bearing projectile weaponry unless it is agressively controlled.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 05:55:24 AM »
The company that produces these bearings must be sued immediately. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 07:00:48 AM »
"However, ball bearings have other uses, unlike certain other types of hardware whose supply has been targeted"

Did Beet1e insinuate that firearms have no use whatsoever except killing people?  Yes, it's pretty clear he did.   That's pretty outrageous, even for him.  

You know better than that Beet....lying isn't like you.

J_A_B

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 07:14:15 AM »
However, ball bearings have other uses, unlike certain other types of hardware whose supply has been targeted, so we can't outlaw them. Same thing goes for cars.

English lad and his instructor shooting clay targets.

The Glorious Twelfth. A "driven day" (shooting birds chased by beaters from a stationary butt). Alvie Estate, in the Scottish Highlands.

Host and Laird Jamie Williamson holds a freshly shot grouse on the Glorious Twelfth. A "driven day" (shooting birds chased by beaters from a stationary butt). Alvie Estate, in the Scottish Highlands.

What Beet means to say is that  ball bearings have other uses that he personally finds necessary in his life, unlike certain other types of hardware that he doesn't personally find necessary in his life, go hifreann leat.

As long as you play his way, he'll be happy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 07:20:21 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 07:53:16 AM »
And here we have the typical  gun owners in the UK hunting grouse from the safety of their foxhole. Because as well all know. Grouse are dangerous creatures and are prone to shoot back.;)

All I can say is.
If owning a gun in the UK means you have to dress like that.
Im glad I dont live in the UK.

that style of dress alone is enough to deter people from owning guns LMAO
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:03:28 AM »
Well, Dred, in a way you are exhibiting the same characteristics as Beet. It's not important to you so.........

I've attended one English driven shoot. I really hadn't expected to be asked along, I was there to pick up a dog. Fortunately, I had a varied enough wardrobe that I was able to scratch together some field clothes. I ended up adding my business suit tie at the last moment. I got a few rather different looks initially but at lunch, several came up to me and said something like. "Glad you dressed for this; shows respect for the sport and the game, doesn't it".

It's all in how you look at it. Their clothes are supremely suited and adapted for the type of hunting they do, just as our are suited and adapted for our type of hunting. Just as shooting driven grouse from a butt is as valid, logical and proper as walking up pheasant on an open prairie.

I'll tell you this; when I got home from that trip, I tossed out some of my older raggedy hunting gear. I tend to go with my old comfortable standby stuff until it's worn thin. After that trip, I decided to show a bit more respect for the sport and the game. I bought some new stuff and now I replace it when it gets shabby looking.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 08:15:32 AM »
What the hell is a ball bearing gun? OK, maybe I can guess. That is apparently what was used in the Birmingham riots at the weekend. All I can say is thank Cod the perp could not lay his hands on something more serious than a ball bearing gun. We know what we have to thank for that.  :aok

In the bad old days before *that*, 92 officers were shot in a five year period (1908-1912). These days it's much less frequent.

IMO, a compressed air gun of sorts, almost like a piantball marker.  Ban guns, society will improvise to find ways to kill each other.   Maybe Cricket paddle catapults are next?

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: British police officer shot during riot.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 08:19:42 AM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
IMO, a compressed air gun of sorts, almost like a piantball marker.  Ban guns, society will improvise to find ways to kill each other.   Maybe Cricket paddle catapults are next?

Karaya

K2 has a point, humans will always find ways to kill each other. You have to work on the cultural aspect, not the weapons that are available to the culture. But some brits just don't understand that.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 08:21:03 AM »
ROFL! - I haven't lost my touch - 8 in the bag! ;)
"You know better than that Beet....lying isn't like you. " - J_A_B
Thanks, JAB! You've always been nicer than some of those other meanies. What I should have said is that no-one here in the UK needs a handgun. And indeed, we all get by without.  As for shotguns like the ones shown in Toad's pics, I can have one if I want, but currently have no need. If that changes, I'll let you know!

Mr. T - thanks for posting those Alvie Estate pics. I was able to find their website, and it looks like an interesting place. I might have to go there myself. Their prices look OK. I'll even give the clay pigeon shooting a try! As you can see, Scotland is very beautiful - peaceful too, except places like Glasgow. I was there just last month - at Onick, from where we climbed Ben Nevis (4406ft). My cod, it nearly killed me. The heart & lungs were OK, but oh the legs! - took 3-4 days to recover.

Mash - oh *they* already have other means - sharp objects etc., but these methods are much less efficient, which is why many fewer people are killed, and is also the reason that police and military forces around the world tend to use guns rather than swords. :aok

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 08:26:22 AM »
The 8th AF is planning a raid on Schweinfurt's ball bearing plant. Hope it goes better this time.

~AoM~

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 08:28:48 AM »
Well, if you end up using ground vehicles, remember to fasten your seatbelt. I know it's easy for you to forget!