Author Topic: Harriet Miers withdraws nomination  (Read 903 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Harriet Miers withdraws nomination
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2005, 05:32:48 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
I can't defend Manson, because I don't know that much about him or what he says in his music.   I've seen some footage of him, and he strikes me as a more vicious version of David Bowie or Alice Cooper.    You wonder what day these rockers will finally reach the edge of the envelope they are pushing, and what it will look like.  I was just surprised to see he spoke in complete sentences, and was fairly eloquent and understandable.

I would expect that you won't find many "shock" rockers that are as calculating as Manson. He realizes that controversy sells and he knows exactly what he's doing, IMHO.
sand

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2005, 10:39:50 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
McClain? I thought his name was McCain.
Forgive my typo.

Yeah, the guy from Arizona. The only Republican with morals.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2005, 11:33:32 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
Forgive my typo.

Yeah, the guy from Arizona. The only Republican with morals.

he's about as republican as Zel Miller is Democrat.

C'mon arent both sides just the least bit happy that this woman wont be on the SC?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2005, 11:36:24 PM »
I can't defend Manson, because I don't know that much about him or what he says in his music.   I've seen some footage of him, and he strikes me as a more vicious version of David Bowie or Alice Cooper.    You wonder what day these rockers will finally reach the edge of the envelope they are pushing, and what it will look like.  I was just surprised to see he spoke in complete sentences, and was fairly eloquent and understandable.

actually I rather liked his interview in "bowling for columbine"  While I dispise him personally the guy doesnt act like he's had one too many "whip-its" and comes off as a wells spoken speaker.  

I think some of his older music rocks but, havn't really been all that into him since then.  His videos are another story.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2005, 08:22:34 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
They've killed more people than ephedra... and the FDA has banned ephedra.

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0300/d000397/d000397.html

Yeah... I know, it's off topic. ;)

Hah!  I checked this article over.   First, it appears to cover BOTH elevators and escalators together.  I didn't see any data for escalators alone.

Second, about 2 1/2 as many installers/maintenance people are killed per year as general public.   The most common cause of death is a fall down an empty elevator shaft.    This is a workplace safety issue, IMO, not a public safety issue.    Sandy, your statement leads one to believe escalators are unsafe in normal operation, which is quite misleading.     It's exactly what Michael Moore was pointing out in BFC as a big part of the problem with American culture.

This is my kind of thread.   So many topics at once!

Agreed on the "cop killer" bullet label.  Its an unfair name designed to influence your POV.   Simply should've been called "body armor piercing bullets".   I can see why the police don't want them in the hands of the general public.   And if someone believes armed rebellion against the government will eventually be necessary, I can see why you'd fight for the right to have these.

I wonder how a John McCain/Zel Miller ticket would fare in 2008?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
oboe... probly half of the thousands of rounds I have at present will penetrate body armor.   every legal hunting round sold will.  

as for the NRA.. it was corprate law... they only had less than 9 days to change.  

And... why should they?  I don't get your's or moores point.  the NRA had nothing to do with the shootings in columbine... it is arguable that manson contributed by suggestion tho.   The NRA is exactly diametricaly opposed to what happened in columbine..

Of course manson would appear contrite and thoughtfull and respectful in the interview... then he would turn right around and use lyrics or accept pay from old lyrics that suggested that other kids do the same or worse than his fans at columbine..

his defense was... that while he suggested violence... he couldn't make people do anything so had no blame but... just out of respect he would lay low till it all blew over...

you and moore are saying that the NRA should stay away even tho they are and allways have.. advocate firearms safety and responsible ownership.  I see no reason for the NRA to not meet...  Maybe you can explain to me why that is?

There were propane bombs there too... should the propane council stay away for a while too?   How bout... black trench coat manufacturers?

as for the title of the movie... You would have to see it to get it.  There is a very funny part at the end having to do with the title of the movie and a world famous documentary maker.

you are right tho to watch anything billed as a documetary with sceptisism.

again.. if you want.. email me and I will send you the movie and you can send it back when you are done.

I would love to hear what you think of it... more so even than someone who agrees with me.

lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
 Sandy, your statement leads one to believe escalators are unsafe in normal operation, which is quite misleading.  

I'm going to have to do some digging to find the actual number, but I think there have been less than 20 people that died as a result of abusing ephedra. So, I'm going to stick with original statement that escalators have killed more people. :)

Yeah, you and I and most people around here know that escalators are generally safe, but I've read just enough about them to make sure my shoes are tied before I get on one. :)

Again... I'm off topic.
sand

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2005, 11:12:57 AM »
If so many rounds can penetrate body armor already, then why the big fiss over it?

I'm not saying the NRA should've stayed away.   It was totally their call, and they made it.   The risk was being labelled insensitive.   Not a big deal to me by any means.

Corporate law has almost much strength as wet toilet paper.   When executives get together and decide they want or need to do something, it gets done.

You and I aren't always on the opposite sides of issues, I think.   I appreciate your offer to mail the movie to me, but let me check around here first - the librabry, a couple of nearby video stores, etc.

Thanks!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2005, 10:01:22 AM »
oboe... to put it simply... the anti gun nuts have never been accused of being too bright about the subject that they are so vehement about.. they generally have very sketchy and lazy views on firearms  and, in this case.. ammo.. you may have noticed also that they tend to have a flair... more than a flair... for the dramatic.   "cop killer bullet" sounds pretty darn good when you want to ban something... "hunting bullet" or "range safe" doesn't sound near as good.   If all assault rifles had been called "plinkers" and were a bright and cheery color... they would have never noticed em... look at the mini 14... it is beyond their radar because... even tho it has the capability of the black evil ones...it is innocent loooking relatively.

as for corprate law.. or any law...  again.  Do you not think that "members" such as moore would not sue the NRA any time that they did not follow the exact letter of the law?  seriously... do you?

you and I are on the same side of every issue... you just haven't realized it yet.   I hold out great hope for you.

lazs

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2005, 12:22:29 PM »
I wouldn't say we're on the same side of EVERY issue, but yes, I think we agree on alot (the foolishness of MTBE as a gasoline additive appears to be another one - I take it your experience and knowledge of water treatment allowed you come to an informed opinion on that matter).    But thank you for your faith in me.      

This is a generalization and so will have exceptions, but I sorta think anti-anything nuts tend not to be too bright.

I really don't have any faith at all that organizational leaders are really bound by organizational law.   I've seen it enough in my own experience, so that argument just won't hold water with me.  There are numerous ways around any issue they want to get around - both above and below the table.   Regarding the NRA Littleton rally, there were probably members who would've supported a location change, and probably members who would've vehemently opposed the change.    They held the rally, and have been accused of being insensitive.   Big deal. I'm sure they would've faced criticism from somewhere no matter what they did.   I don't think I've been overly critical of them, though I personally would've supported a venue change.   I tend to view it as a missed PR opportunity to put a more concerned face on the NRA.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2005, 08:11:45 AM »
well.. you probly know more about corprate law than me but... you do realize that guys like moore are NRA members?

I would not put it past him to file charges if he was not notified by the absolute letter of the law of any change.

as for the rally.... I would be against it on one simple principal.... You can look like manson and like you feel guilty or... you can look like the NRA and say... If people went by our principles.... there would be no school shootings.   The NRA had no compicity in the shootings and does more than anyone to prevent these types of things...  to back down would imply the oppossite.

lazs