Author Topic: Furballers Vs. Toolshedders  (Read 12030 times)

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Furballers Vs. Toolshedders
« on: October 25, 2005, 12:04:44 PM »
There has been a lot of discussion on this topic.A lot.The shedders killing
the furballers fun,etc.,etc.

In AH 1 when a large group of people were attacking a base to capture it
the opposing country would try to stop them.A furball would then ensue over the base.All the while the base is being bombed by bombers
the town being killed by typhies and 110's there was still a furball going
on in the middle of all this.

So my question is why is there such a problem between the 2?
They both need each other to make the others time spent more fun.

without base takers there can be no furball IMHO.

P.S. this is not a troll just a thought.........

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 12:09:04 PM »
well last night there was a couple nice furballs going on. it was good fun otd furballin untill toolshed heros came and ruINed it. The base was never takin...  carry on....

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 12:10:46 PM »
See Rule #7
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 12:03:31 PM by Skuzzy »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:12:51 PM »
without base takers there can be no furball IMHO.

Before the concept of land grab was even born all people did was furball and it was good.

Furballers don't need base takers at all.

There is a big difference between defending a base and a furball.

In a furball people are there to fight you, in base defense people are there to drop their ord and run away.

So my question is why is there such a problem between the 2?
The problem lies in the nature of the two.  If you are a furballer you want things to happen that create more fighting.  If you are a toolshedder you are doing everything you can to stop the fighting so you can easily walk in and drop troops.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:22:17 PM »
In my opinion  the decline of "combat" is due to map design.

The 512 maps make it extremely easy to completely avoid ever having to fight another human.

Each front should have operational bases in an area only 2 sectors wide and no more than 3 sectors deep.  Non-operational bases are not capturable/destroyable.  As land is captured the "front" moves.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Furballers Vs. Toolshedders
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:22:17 PM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
The shedders killing
the furballers fun,etc.,etc.

And that is your answer.  We cannot kill their fun.  Some of them will do anything to kill ours.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:29:29 PM »
It was rather amazing last night when I hopped on later in the evening.    Phan and I were looking for a fight and there was not one place on the map where the dar bars were even close to even.

It was AH2 at it's worst as it was all about taking fields and all about avoiding a fight.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 12:47:35 PM »
Originally posted by Furious

The 512 maps make it extremely easy to completely avoid ever having to fight another human.

Each front should have operational bases in an area only 2 sectors wide and no more than 3 sectors deep.  Non-operational bases are not capturable/destroyable.  As land is captured the "front" moves.

Interesting idea!

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 12:56:54 PM »
Originally posted by Furious

Yep, was a new map on 2 weeks ago,with a furball place in the middle unfortunatly i did't have time to play only 1 day on it , The best fun/fights ever, 3 base 5k in the middle, Did they take it out from rotation?

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 01:00:57 PM »
I think alot has to do with the type of player you are. Fighter guys cant imagine spending time flying slow carrying bombs to a target over and over as fun, and many bomber guys dont see the fun in furballing either because they arent very good in fighters or its boring to them.

That brings me to Dreds point, the reason the bombers can spoil the fighter guys fun, and the fighters cant seem to spoil the bomber guys fun is simple. The fighter guys arent interested in flying to a few bases and taking out ord at them over and over. They lack the interest in the very thing that causes them pains.

If once an hour, a few of them each targeted a few bases and knocked out the ord, their problems would be solved.

~AoM~

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »
I believe that "furballers" get slightly irked by "toolshedders" because, on a map with well over 100 bases, it is deemed absolutely vital, by the "toolshedders", that all bases on furball/fighter island be under the control of one country.

I have drawn the conclusion that the type of "toolshedders" I have described in the above paragraph are the slow people who inhabit this earth.  The rest of us just have to deal with them.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
Before the concept of land grab was even born all people did was furball and it was good.

Furballers don't need base takers at all.

There is a big difference between defending a base and a furball.

In a furball people are there to fight you, in base defense people are there to drop their ord and run away.

The problem lies in the nature of the two.  If you are a furballer you want things to happen that create more fighting.  If you are a toolshedder you are doing everything you can to stop the fighting so you can easily walk in and drop troops.

Yeah but that is right out of the manual of base capture 101 wasn't it?

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1:furious :huh
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 01:19:53 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
I think alot has to do with the type of player you are. Fighter guys cant imagine spending time flying slow carrying bombs to a target over and over as fun, and many bomber guys dont see the fun in furballing either because they arent very good in fighters or its boring to them.

That brings me to Dreds point, the reason the bombers can spoil the fighter guys fun, and the fighters cant seem to spoil the bomber guys fun is simple. The fighter guys arent interested in flying to a few bases and taking out ord at them over and over. They lack the interest in the very thing that causes them pains.

If once an hour, a few of them each targeted a few bases and knocked out the ord, their problems would be solved.

DING DING DING... FiLtH wins the prize!  He is THOR with the HAMMER!  You can't bomb something without the ord and you can't capture anything without the drunks.  Now the problem is to organize, seems impossible in here and probably will be for generations. hehehe

The only thing that is missing from the experience in here is true organization and will not be possble as in here we don't have a "Commanding General" or wing commanders or Squadron leaders etc... Lots of folks like to play the leaders and not many wanna play followers.  I guess the bottom line is  that we all need to work as a collective as much as possible and be glad that we have what we have as there is nothing out ther that can compare to the experience that we all share in the game.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1:cool:
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 01:26:04 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
I believe that "furballers" get slightly irked by "toolshedders" because, on a map with well over 100 bases, it is deemed absolutely vital, by the "toolshedders", that all bases on furball/fighter island be under the control of one country.

I have drawn the conclusion that the type of "toolshedders" I have described in the above paragraph are the slow people who inhabit this earth.  The rest of us just have to deal with them.

The thing I just dont understand is this.

Furballers have their furball island right? That's where they hang out, fight, die and fight some more. They really dont care about upping form some base far out in the middle of no mans land.

While they are fighting at furball island there are many, many bases that are left undefended and can be taken quite easily. Yet, the base takers will horde over the furball islands on each of the maps to put them out of commision. Do they think that if the fuballers do not have a place to furball it will dedicate those furballers to helping them take bases? Wouldnt it be easier to just leave those bases alone until the very end? I know it would be alot easier for the base takers to grab all the undefended bases they could while the furballers are still at furball island. But why do they still take furball island? Doesnt make any sense to me.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 01:36:24 PM »
Originally posted by doc1kelley

The only thing that is missing from the experience in here is true organization and will not be possble as in here we don't have a "Commanding General" or wing commanders or Squadron leaders etc... Lots of folks like to play the leaders and not many wanna play followers.  I guess the bottom line is  that we all need to work as a collective as much as possible and be glad that we have what we have as there is nothing out ther that can compare to the experience that we all share in the game.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1:cool:

Once ToD comes out you will have just that. The greatest aspect of this game, the MA most of all is that we have choices. Choices to join a mission or not. Choices to take a tank, a fighter or a bomber. Choices to follow a leader or now follow a leader. To work as a team, be it with a single wingman in fighters or with ten or twenty heavy attack a/c or bombers and work to take a base or what have you. Or we can choose to work alone and lone wolf. All of that sets aces high, and the MA in particular apart from any flight/fight sim out there today. ToD is just another corner of the market, a corner for players like yourself. Who do enjoy a strict set of rules, who have high priorities when it comes to organization and planning. There will always be players/potential players who enjoy that aspect of a game. And there will always be players/potential players who enjoy the more loose, free to do as the please aspect of a game.

You're just going to have to rely on your squad and those around you who do enjoy the game the way you enjoy it until ToD comes out. Because lets face it, people are always going to play how they want to play, if they cant, they most likely wont play at all.