Author Topic: Snowboard/Binding setup  (Read 333 times)

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« on: October 26, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
Got all the gear, still have no idea. :D

This is the first board I've owned and I'm flying out in about a week, all the kit I've had before has come out of the rental place and I've just gone with it and made the best of the set up.  This time I'm going to have to set up and sort out everything and fix it when it breaks.

Anyone have any tips? Binding angles, stuff to take, etc etc.

Cheers

Gatso

Signal 159W/Rome 390

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 12:06:49 PM »
you gotta ride "goofy foot"! it's the only way to go!

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 12:22:47 PM »
Originally posted by NATEDOG
you gotta ride "goofy foot"! it's the only way to go!

Only if you're left handed waco......

anyway..

binding angles:

30 and 15...

It doesn't sound like you're new to snowboarding if you have been renting..  But If you're just starting out I would recommend buying knee and elbow pads, and sign up for lessons...

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 12:28:37 PM »
Originally posted by soda72
Only if you're left handed waco......

<-- right handed and skateboard "goofy foot"
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mustaine
<-- right handed and skateboard "goofy foot"

seek help..  something is wrong with ya..  :D

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Re: Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »
Originally posted by gatso
Anyone have any tips? Binding angles, stuff to take, etc etc.

IIRC I used around -25° on left and +5° on right, not riding "goofy". Anyway it doesn't matter much at the beginning. It might not be very fun at at first, but ones you get the hang of it you'll love it. Beat's skiing hundred to nil. What ruined it for me was the constant pain it caused to my feet, everyone seems to suffer from it at the beginning, but I didn't find a cure even after many years.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 01:11:38 PM »
Don't learn on ice.  Worst accident I've ever seen in person on the slopes was a novice snowboarder who goofed the transition from packed powder to ice on a bridge leading to the lifts.  His face went from about 20 mph to zero as he pitched forward and went over fwd into the ice.  He was face down motionless as they worked on him for about 20 min.  I think he was unconscious the whole time and they just left him there on the ice to keep his metabolism slow until the rescue chopper arrived.  This was at Vail.

Don't be that guy.  Slow down where the huge yellow signs say *SLOW!*, and watch for ice 'cause whacking your head on ice hurts.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 01:30:15 PM »
Stance Width...mine is 21 3/4 inches

MAKE SURE!!..you always have more nose then tail after you measure your stance out

BUT...if you are talking about angles for your stance..it depends on what kind of riding you are doing

If your a Euro--You wan tto make turns in Giant Slalom..this mean sboth feet angles forward..ALOT>.lolol

If you are free riding..you have minimal forward angle more on front then rear

Sometimes you will set your rear foor at 0 degrees or even a small bit of "duck stance..meaning your back foot is actaully angled out by a few degrees

depends on your style and feel..and how you ride..you ride fakey alot?..if not..no real need to have back foot angled backwards at all...

If you are riding strictly half pipe..you will see many folks having minimal angle on both feet

ahhhh Its almost season again..wooo wooo

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 06:24:45 PM »
It's mostly deep powder, virgin snow never been touched which is nice.  Hurting myself is an absolute no as I'm supposed to be working and the snowboarding is a perk of the job.  If I break anything I get sent home which is VERY bad. Oh, there are NO signposts eagl, its not exaclty a tourist resort.

The local ride is by local standards fairly compacted but as I said I just need to be a bit more adventurous and I can find really deep powder.  I'm thouroughly looking forward to it.  No ice whatsoever.  A "few" ramps get built pretty quickly and bad weather means a pipe will almost certainly arrive.  I'm a bit of a speed freak rather than a trick junkie so I'm happy carving up the slopes.

I can ride regular as well as I  can goofy which I suppose is a product of my inexperience, I'm out for 4 months so I expect I'll decide on which I find more comfortable as I'm there.  It's cool to know there are a few other boarders out there, but Nate, Boarding in Texas??? HTF does that work :p

Cheers all :)

Gatso

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 06:28:10 PM »
Oh yeah, BGB, I'm a tall bugger. 6 foot 2 or so but I'm quite light with it.  Made choosing a board a complete pain in the rear with size 11 (12 USA size I think) feet. Still I'm hoping to visit the local snowdome in the next couple of days and I'll let yous all know exactly how the stuff I've bought seems to be performing.  Thanks all for the comments.

Gats

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 11:04:07 PM »
not sure what bindings you use..

I ride in size eleven boots...If your board is too skinny..bad toe scrub..makes you lose your edge..very bad when your haulln balls on a toe edge

There are a few after market products to help the tose drag problem..

One of them is "wedges" they lift your bottom of ypur toe up just a bit which clears soem drag room between your toe of boot and toe side rail/edge.

I ride a rather wide board..but it has great side cut into it..thsi way you can stilll make sweeet carves haulln balls..big spins...BLASTING air brah..!!!wooo woo Pow Pow comes soon to Tahoe..wooo
wooo

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 09:40:38 AM »
<------- right handed, skate goofy foot
most of the best pro skaters and snowboarders are right handed goofy footers...... Tony Hawk for example.... greatest skater of all time.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 10:21:59 AM »
Originally posted by NATEDOG
<------- right handed, skate goofy foot
most of the best pro skaters and snowboarders are right handed goofy footers...... Tony Hawk for example.... greatest skater of all time.

Same here, but I would never say that i was "great" at either skating or snowboarding.

The best way i have found to determine if you are regular or goofy foot is to get someone to give you a firm shove from behind while standing on level ground. If you put your right foot out first to steady yourself, you are goofy, left foot..regular.

I used to make snow etc at a hill near where i live and would help out with novice lessons. We used this method to get a "jumping-off" point in determining whether a rider was goofy or regular foot.

The best part was this method works best if the shove-ee doesnt see it coming or expect it.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »
I wasn't trying to imply that I was a great skater....... I was ok back in the day... but the greats are mostly goofy foot.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Snowboard/Binding setup
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »
anyone remember if christian hosoi skates goofy?

i spent alot of time watching him, and trying as a kid, but it has been so long i can't remember
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.