Author Topic: Patriot Act abuses  (Read 493 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 07:56:22 PM »
If their names have lotsa of a's and i's and hyphens, give em an anal search every day and twice on thursday:aok
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 08:54:05 PM »
The patriot act is voted on every year by congress and signed into law like same by the CIC, then it is challenged in the courts per the usual MBLA/NAACP challenges.  Everything is working as it should.....I guess

The one thing the patriot DOES do well is bring out all the limp wristed pixies who like to fantasize about Bush being worse than Hitler and how just the thought of carl rove gives them chubs in the middle of the night :O

Hmmm,
Havent had an attack in 4 years.  Something is working correctly, and it isnt the move'on-dot'org crowd, thats fer sure and fer certain.....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 08:58:46 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Hmmm,
Havent had an attack in 4 years.  Something is working correctly
Great logic.  There weren't any attacks like that from 1776 to Sept 10 2001 either, all with no Patriot act.

Repeat after me:  Correlation does not equal causation.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 09:23:21 PM »
The one thing the patriot DOES do well is bring out all the limp wristed pixies who like to fantasize about Bush being worse than Hitler and how just the thought of carl rove gives them chubs in the middle of the night

I'm actually a Bush supporter....I just don't like the idea of the Patriot act...stuff like this just keeps chipping away at the our rights and giving the government more dangerous powers.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 09:26:39 PM »
Great but none of you who don't like the patriot act have yet to say anything bad/good about the wall between intel gatherers that it breaks down.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 09:39:07 PM »
Why was there a wall in the first place?
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2005, 09:49:18 PM »
well ASTAC, thats cool.  Do your duty (if so inclined) and contact your elected reps and let them know how you feel, so they can take that into account next time they do the right thing and extend the patriot act.  

Like I said, there is a check and balance system in place to prevent the abuse of power.  Some of the limpier wristers would have us think the PA is exempt from congressional/judicial oversight, it is not.  If it were, I would be in the front of the line dangling my limp wristies.

Two new changes that I have heard being proposed for the PA involve allowing a prosecuter the ability to appoint a new jury in the penalty phase of a trial if the first jury failed to impose a death sentance as requested by the prosecuter.  This coould be a problem (it could be a solution to a problem....)  anyway, I dont like it.  Go for a mistrial and retry.  The other change involved adding 300+ new definitions to the list of terror crimes punishable by death.  I dont know what they are, but the artical also stated that there was congressional resistance to both proposed changes.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Patriot Act abuses
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2005, 10:13:02 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
Why was there a wall in the first place?

I beleive it had to do with the CIA's charter not allowing itself to operate on American soil.  If the CIA had info that would benifit the FBI or vis versa they were not allowed to share it.  One part of the patriot act brought down this wall.