Author Topic: Cool F-117A  (Read 721 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« on: October 28, 2005, 06:33:40 PM »
This pic was taken from Edwards AFB Air Show last weekend.  It's one of the prototype F117s and this was it's last flight.  It's going to be demilled and used as a mait. trainer.  For the Air Show the base had to go through ALOT of goat roping at the pentagon to get it painted this way.

It was cool, it flew over head than turned to show the crowed it's belly and the crowed went nuts.  Trust me this is not a photoshop.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 08:05:59 PM »
For some reason, I feel a disturbance in the "I hate flag wavers" force. ;)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 08:12:03 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

I just thought it was cool because it is something you won't likely see again.  From what I understand the Base went through ALOT of paperwork and waivers from the pentagon to do this.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 08:14:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

You're just itching for an argument and you lack patience.

Nice pic, Gun.
sand

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 08:29:57 PM »
Anyone for a badminton game?

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 09:26:20 PM »
Neat pic, neat plane. Here's my peeve against the "F"-117. It's not an "F"!!! Why is it called an "F" and not an "A" or possibly a "B"??? Sorry for the hijack, like I said, it's a neat pic:D
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 09:40:32 PM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
Neat pic, neat plane. Here's my peeve against the "F"-117. It's not an "F"!!! Why is it called an "F" and not an "A" or possibly a "B"??? Sorry for the hijack, like I said, it's a neat pic:D

Well It's a single seater....I think it's more of an A-117 rumor has it that when it was being "procured" congress thought the USAF had enough bombers and didn't need any more so because of it's size and performance it was called the F-117.  I agree its like calling an A10 and F-10.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »
Very cool. Wish I coulda been there.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 09:55:44 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Very cool. Wish I coulda been there.

It really wasn't that great of Air Show.  I wish I could have walked around with my family more but I had to work a food booth.  They did do a "tora tora tora" attack at the end with about 20 CAF planes wich was cool and then they did a pass and review with all the AFTC air craft in formation.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 09:04:31 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I just thought it was cool because it is something you won't likely see again.  From what I understand the Base went through ALOT of paperwork and waivers from the pentagon to do this.

Why so much paperwork for a ship that will be decommed after the flight?
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 09:39:21 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud

When they were developing the bird (in secret) one of the layers of disinformation was the designation of the plane.  Just like the U-2  (utlility), the A-12 (attack, original designation for what became the SR-71), and others that never made it to production.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 09:42:25 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert
When they were developing the bird (in secret) one of the layers of disinformation was the designation of the plane.  Just like the U-2  (utlility), the A-12 (attack, original designation for what became the SR-71), and others that never made it to production.

Are you certain about this? IIRC, the A-12 was a Navy program that was discontinued in the early 90's because of gross mismanagement (or something to that extent).
sand

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 09:50:14 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Are you certain about this? IIRC, the A-12 was a Navy program that was discontinued in the early 90's because of gross mismanagement (or something to that extent).

Yeah I believe the SR-71 was the YF-12
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Cool F-117A
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 10:36:40 AM »
The YF-12 was a slightly smaller version of the SR-71 designed as a Soviet bomber interceptor.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Cool F-117A
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2005, 11:12:06 AM »
Not only that, but wasn't a disinformation thing, as I've actually touched a Y-12 up at Blackbird Park in Palmdale.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis