Author Topic: Proof from HTC that Hispanos are accurate. plz dont ignore  (Read 8989 times)

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Proof from HTC that Hispanos are accurate. plz dont ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »
We've been through this too many times.  This "regular kills at 900+" is a load of bull.  I can't do it that's for sure.  Show me a film of a sortie where you get kills at that distance.  Please.  Do you have any idea how many times I've asked that question and not had a single film show up?

No matter how many times we've been through this issue, people keep stating things as "facts" that are not facts.  You said "Something just isn't right with them, if they (Hispano cannons) kill regularly at 900yds."  You know what, you are right.  However, that's a big IF.  Prove to me that they kill regularly at 900 yds in AH and then I'll agree that something is wrong.  Now I do think that there is some minor tweaking that needs to happen, but it's no where near the big issue you make it out to be.

Now a note about the changes Pyro has mentioned for 1.05.  In the current version of AH, your rounds "disperse", in some kind of a pattern from their aim point.  I presume that this dispersion is random at this point.  The end result is that if you fire a great load of cannon shells at long range, they will spread out in a very large random pattern.  This is not entirely accurate, as in real life although the rounds may spread out in a pattern of the same size, more rounds would tend to be closer to the center than at the edges.  The change Pyro mentioned was to weight the dispersion mathematically so that our bullet patterns more closely match real ones, IE more rounds closer to the aim point.  The Hispano's are not lasers at all, but more like uber-shotguns.  If you put lasers on a C-Hog instead of cannons it would be MORE DIFFICULT to hit IMHO, where the current shotgun effect makes it easier than it should be.  This is the real issue.

Right now, if you hose away with cannons in a C Hog, you are throwing a LOT of lead into the air.  Because of the random dispersion pattern, at long ranges you have a really big shotgun effect.  This makes it more likely that you will get a hit at long ranges, because your pattern covers such a large area.  With .50 cal birds, this doesn't work, since a few hits won't do enough damage, so although it's easier to hit they don't get results.  With the .20mm Hispano's however, those are CANNON rounds... they explode.  It only takes a couple of rounds to damage the enemy plane, so the increased chance of a hit pays off.

What I think you will see in 1.05 is that it will be a bit more difficult to get hits out at longer ranges.  The added bonus is that if somebody does hit you, it will now be more because of skill than luck due to a large dispersal pattern.  On the flip side, I think this change will help the MG planes, since our rounds will be more likely to impact in one area and do serious damage.  In short, it will make the gunnery more realistic, and may solve some of the perceived "900 yard turbo laser" issues.

Also, you can't compare real-life pilots to AH pilots.  We are all FAR BETTER gunners than even the very top Aces in WWII.  We have fired 100 times more rounds in combat than they every did.  On top of that, we don't have to deal with many of the problems they had with air to air gunnery.  So yes, I fully expect AH pilots to be able to make shots regularly that you never hear about in WWII simply based on our superior skills due to the factors mentioned above.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"A pig is a jolly companion, Boar, sow, barrow, or gilt --
A pig is a pal, who'll boost your morale, Though mountains may topple and tilt.
When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,
You'll never go wrong with a pig!" -- Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 12-15-2000).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2000, 07:55:00 AM »
I cant tell you how many times that Golly-geened CHog has made me reconsider WBs 2.76

If it werent for the promise of 1.05 methinks Id be outta here.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2000, 09:10:00 AM »
"eheh the chog requires less lead at 900 than German 20mm do at same angle at 300"

There's always got to be a Luftwobble whine in every thread right?

It's one thing to work on an issue based on what something does or does not do.  It is yet another thing altogether to speculate that something is fudged because another similar thing is not as capable.

-Westy

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2000, 09:32:00 AM »

if someone can hit you at 900 yards with a hispano you did something remarkably wrong ..

I wouldn't necessarily say this... most people say that just jinking a little side to side will spoil shots like this. I have tried this several times and still find myself losing a rudder, stab, or even my whole tail at these distances.

(Shoulda quoted more)  

In response to a couple toher statements, I saw one post where it said that in the other guys FE they are much closer. This is very true but in most cases where I've been hit from 900-1000 I've been pulling away rapidly not being closed upon.

In defense of the Chog though.. (sort of)   this is done by not only the chog, but those so called weak 20mm on the 190's and 109's have also done this to me as well. All from distances of greater then 900. I'll sit and jink from side to side as I watch them spray for all they're worth only to hear the inevitable ping and watch as my plane shoots nose up and my tail departs the fueselage.

For those of you asking for film.. I will try and get some for you so that I can show it and will try and get some from the other pilot as well.. so we can see it from both sides.

Bane
13th TAS

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2000, 09:34:00 AM »
Can't have the crackers without the cheese, now can you Westy?  

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »
Cobra... very good point!    I for one would be an even worse shot if it wasn't for the rangefinder!

Westy...    Right on dude!  

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

-lazs-

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
Whew... thanks lep... I thot I was the only guy who can't get those easy 1,000 yard kills  in AH with cannon.

grun... let me guess... A gore supporter?
lazs

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2000, 11:05:00 AM »
The 2 vs 2 duel at the con was ended when Drex tore Ripsnort appart at 800 plus in a p38. I was watching it on drexes pc..does that mean it was at 1.2k on Rips..Both saw the same thing as far as I know.  I think that Pyro was watching Rips. Rip behaved like he had seperated. In ww2 he probably would have been successfuly seperated. And he would have built up a 1k alt advantage at the same time. The fight would likly have gone much differently. Drex fired in a little bit of desperation because of that. He knew that if he didnt tag Rip bad before they both stalled out it would be ugly for him after the stall.
I doubt that Pyro needs film from anyone to be convinced that the Hispano has non historical leathality at long ranges still.
RA Ra RA...

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2000, 11:37:00 AM »
I'm not saying these shots won't or shouldn't happen.  I'm just saying they are rare occurrences.  I find it interesting that the guy you use for an example is likely one of the best damn pilots in the entire online flight sim community.  He is in AH a WAY better shot than any WWII fighter pilot was in real life.  He has much more experience, no real penalty if he fails, and doesn't have to worry about some of the real-life issues that made gunnery tough.

Assuming a hit is made at 900 yards.  Do you guys think the .20 mm Hispano cannon shells did less explosive damage?  I know Pyro had gotten all the data he can to try and model it right.  Unless we can show that something is not correct, how can we expect Pyro to keep re-examining this after he has done all he can to make it correct?

The third issue here is net lag.  Guys, it's a fact of life in the online community.  We either simulate gunnery as closely as possible and deal with the effects of netlag, or we kludge the gunnery.  The HTC team has obviously gone the realism route in terms of gunnery, and frankly I agree with it.  We must adjust our tactics to reflect the network environment, and adjust our ranges appropriately.  So yeah, In WW2 he probably would have successfully separated, but the reality of network gaming is you have to add a few hundred yards for net lag.  We all adjust our ranges and expectations based on it, it's just a fact.  Now you may not like that compromise, but I find it far better than the alternative.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer

When they've blackballed, bamboozled, and burned you, When they've turned on you, Tory and Whig,
Though you may be thrown over by Tabby and Rover, You'll never go wrong with a pig, a pig,

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2000, 12:30:00 PM »

Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
Hi

Something just isnt right with them, if they regularly kill at 900yds.  
thanks GRUNHERZ

btw lets all keep it civil

OK, if it's 900 yards on the Hogs FE that means it will show as maybe 1.2 - 1.3K on your own.

Possibly your personal experience is completely different from mine Grunhertz, but if you asked me how many times a C Hog has killed me when my icon reading was 1.3K, I'd say never.

Come to mention it, even reading 900K it's almost never, although realistically I wouldn't complain if I was hit at a range of what is really 600 as far is the host is concerned.

Vladd    

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2000, 01:33:00 PM »
Grunherz, you got this **completely** wrong.

HTC doesnt have to proof anything. We DO have to do it, so we can get fixes.

No matter that the thing is completely unveliable, no matter that the hispanos can effectively kill a plane with two pings at 450 yards (thing that happened to me some days ago, confirmed by the pilot who got me).No matter.

NO matter that a lot of repeated hits of mausers just 5 minutes after that two ping death didnt bring me down. At 150yards.No matter.

NO matter that the real thing jammed all day long, while here we have the ultrareliable non-breech-heating fire-all-day-matic (tm). No matter.

They need proofs. But when you got a film on a two ping dead from hispanos, you get a "nah, its normal, they were powerful weapons".

Grunherz, a hearly advice. Better dont post threads like this anymore, or sooner or later you will be the next "RAM" in a lot of people's eyes. They will cut you in pieces, literally, each time you dare to post a critic post.

I know it well.

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2000, 01:51:00 PM »
The only problem I have with the Hispano is the modelling of the ammo. Make it *either* HE or AP, not both.

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 12-15-2000).]

Offline Rifle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2000, 02:00:00 PM »
900 yrd range is excessive for more than fluke kills.

Now on the subject of 20mm vs armour.

Yes the RAF had 30 then 40mm cannons on Hurricanes in N.Africa but consider that all they put on the best of the Western Allied tank killers  was th 4 20mm cannons on the Typhoon.

Attack profile would be high rear quarter and cannon shells would pass thru any grill (it wasn't armor) over the tank motor and finally into the motor. This gives you one immobile tank.

Cheers,
    Rifle

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2000, 02:05:00 PM »
Leave it to RAM to spend 1/2 a page rambling and ad aboslutely nothing to the conversation.

No RAM, nobody is cutting Grunherz up.  I dispute some of his claims, but not him.  In fact I welcome the discussion, I think it helps clear a few things up.

BTW, nobody else is going to get treated the way you do.  No one else is willing to post that much drivel... they just don't have the time to build that kind of a reputation.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2000, 02:10:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
The 2 vs 2 duel at the con was ended when Drex tore Ripsnort appart at 800 plus in a p38. I was watching it on drexes pc..does that mean it was at 1.2k on Rips..Both saw the same thing as far as I know

Do you think that them being on a closed network with T1 connection to the served had anything to do with it ?

If i remember correctly, ping times to the server were 10ms or so.

Come on Pongo   repeat after me... DUHHHH

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters