Author Topic: Skinning Question  (Read 291 times)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Skinning Question
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:11:52 AM »
After finishing the riveting and the panel lines and playing with Aluminum it slowly dawned on me that there were a few things I did not know about how a skin was completed.  Please forgive me the following questions.

1.  Do you redo the interior of the wing/wheel wells/tires/cockpit/propellor or leave the base skin's graphics?

2.  Do you create a second layer of panel lines/rivets that are either darker or lighter to get a "depth" to the items?

Thanks for any respones.

Cheers,
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Skinning Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:32:11 AM »
1. Yep, I just use the default skin's detail on these items - in general.   I have tweaked the color in some cases but nothing major.

2.  Yep, and I offset the light layer diagonally by one pixel-width - then play with the intensity balance between the dark and light layers til I get something that looks right to me in game.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skinning Question
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
1: I redid everything from scratch when I did my bf110 and me109e skins. That includes wheels, gear struts, exhausts, etc. I used the basic ones for a template. I did this because the default tex on those models is 256x256, and it looks like crap at 1024. However on my 190s I merely "tweaked" existing stuff in those areas.

2: On my last one, I had the panel lines broken down into major areas, depending on which way the shadows would fall. I was consistent in my light shadows on the panel lines, so that one wing didn't have "back left" and the other "front right" shadows, if you get my drift. On top of that I had a full layer of panel lines blurred to hell and gone, but at low opacity. THEN I had another layer unblurred (or, less so) that just had the accent panel lines -- gear doors, flaps, hatches, etc).

THEN I divided my rivets up into 2 areas: those over light paint and those over dark paint. I changed the layer options for both to look best for their own color areas. Then blurred them. Then put an untouched rivet layer over this at very low opacity.

Granted this was just on my last skin, which I really went overboard on. I was trying some new things and I think it looks great, but now that I've tried them I'm going to tone them down for the next skin.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Skinning Question
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 08:28:33 PM »
Thanks all much appreciated comments and help.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.