Author Topic: Getting off a carrier heavy 101  (Read 987 times)

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/tommysteele1
Getting off a carrier heavy 101
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 05:31:26 AM »
yeah thought it could be done thanks for backing me up dude :)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 05:39:15 AM »
Rofl, wasp, you're right, I was a bit rude... I'm not a pilot or an engineer, too, I just read a couple of things: anyway, if I correctly interpreted what you wrote:

1) CV speed are too low for a plane to fly at...

2) assuming that you can fly straight and level at that speed, you would have some difference in height with the deck, unless you get to fly over the deck exactly with your gear at some centimeters (oops! inches :D) above it... and, once you're basically "hovering" on the deck, just like a helicopter... the only way to "drop" the plane on the deck would be to stall it and make it fall on the deck... not advisable IMO... (or, of course, to dive on the deck, not advisable, too)

I could have said just a bunch of senseless things, above, if so, please, someone correct me! :D

EDIT: Ooops, missed Schatzi's reply... well, I don't think it would work... at least, in real life it shouldn't... maybe only with a plane with slow stall speed and a lot of ahead wind...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:41:26 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/tommysteele1
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 05:44:01 AM »
dont worry about it thanks for look up the stuff dude it does seem to make sense i just tryed it with a sea fire very very hard managed to hit the deck but took off my gear i was at nearly the right speed and flaps did help, probably more trouble than its worth lol maybe just practice conventional way:aok

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 05:47:19 AM »
Lol, it must have been a high tension scene! :) Yep, better to practice the conventional way, after a while, it's not so hard. ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 06:25:06 AM »
actually, Gian, the AH CVs are way too fast for their own good. 43 mph IIRC.

While sustained level flight (without any descent) is impossible at that speed, you can still 'helicopter' or float at that speed.

Wasp, while i wouldnt recommend that as a standard landing procedure, i firmly believe its good to learn to fly your plane on the edge of its envelope. That includes *low* speed handling....

When i want to familiarize myself with a new plane, i usually go to TA and do some 'stunts'. Fly through any hangar available in any position possible. Snap stall it around. Deliberatly flatspin.... land on CV.....
21 is only half the truth.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »
Originally posted by Wasp
has anyone ever tryed flying at the same speed as the CV going the same direction, above the deck and just dropping on to the deck, applying brakes straight away, just a thought, i guess it could work

It can easily be done in a "Val" with full flaps ... I have landed on the cruiser doing this.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 12:19:33 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
It can easily be done in a "Val" with full flaps ... I have landed on the cruiser doing this.

You can land a B5n on a Destroyer... Aft gun mount usually eats the prop though..

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 02:45:30 PM »
with 19mph of headwind you can hover a val right above the CV. maybe with less wind even.

and you can land it on the control tower, if you are steady enough :)

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/film117.ahf
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 08:01:27 PM »
There is a film some where on the BBS where this guy lands a 262 and an  Ar234 on the CV

its hard enough landing a 234 on an airfield let a lone a carrier but this guy (sorry mate cant remember you name) made the 234 and 262 CV landing look like child play

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 02:51:06 AM »
Landed once a F4Ud on the cruiser and got a dicth :cry :cry

And worst the film is porked !
It show 200 yard behind the cruiser (but landed :))

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 04:27:33 AM »
<-- I did some 'proof of concept' films on 262 and 234 cv landings. Just right click and save, then open in film viewer.

262 film >>
234 film >>

Note: You can't see the view setup I have for the 'Forward View,' where I'm looking down the left side of fuselage for alignment with the 262 unless you use the left arrow and Page Up keys.