Author Topic: Getting off a carrier heavy 101  (Read 988 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Getting off a carrier heavy 101
« on: November 06, 2005, 10:40:25 PM »
The other night a new player was complaining that he could not get an F4U off of a carrier fully loaded. Invariably, he would wallow into the sea after coming off the flight deck.

Someone suggested he crack the throttle and back up on the flight deck to increase his takeoff run. This seems to be standard practice in the MA.

However, you do not need to backup.

All you have to do is lower the flaps fully and use WEP on the takeoff. When I suggest he use full flaps, several knuckleheads argued that it would not work... Well, to quote Gump, "stupid is as stupid does".

Offline I ran film of me taking off in the F4U-1C, F4U-1D, F6F-5 and TBM-3. All aircraft had the maximum bomb and rocket load AND full fuel tanks. With full flaps, getting airborne without losing any altitude is easy. You can use auto-takeoff or manual takeoff.

I edited the film down to just the F4U-1D. This is adequate to demonstrate a full-flap takeoff. A link to the film can be found below.

Anyone can find out for themselves by simply going offline and selecting a fully loaded F4U-1D. Dump full flaps, power up and engage WEP. Once airborne, raise the gear and begin pulling up the flaps, maintaining level flight until you see 140 mph. Then begin a gradual climb as you continue to bring up the flaps. No drama, no sweating, as easy as easy gets. Just remember, those flaps are there for a reason, use them.

Backing up wastes time. It also leaves you vulnerable by remaining on the flight deck longer than needed.

Click here to download film

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »
whoever disagreed with you obviously doesnt understand why flaps are even on an aircraft.

another tip that can help is to only lower the flaps half way, hit full power and start lowering them to full as you reach the end of the deck. doesnt make much difference, but you will gain a fraction more speed initially with only flaps down half.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 11:44:18 PM »
I just wep it and drop 2 notches of flap at the very end.

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 12:25:08 AM »
Originally posted by YUCCA
I just wep it and drop 2 notches of flap at the very end.

HEHE try uping a lanc like that u gota do more than that.

Nice film wide...

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 05:32:14 AM »
I rarely take off heavy off a CV. But if i do, I go WEP and a notch of flaps, full flaps towards the end of the deck. Gear up ASAP. After leaving the deck, i try to stay level till i have accellerated some, usually i follow the slight turn to the left, created by torque.

It starts getting really mean when someone turns the CV...

Thanks for the film WideWing. Its a good show of takeoff, as well as landing.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:18:03 AM »
i up lancs with no flap at 50% fuel fine.

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/tommysteele1
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:08 AM »
dont lancs catch wing tips on the tower and guns on an aircraft carrier anyways????

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »
i can land and take off in fully loaded lancs (14 x 1000lb's, and 100% fuel)

you do need full flaps and to turn it around and get a full run up (lanc wont back up, so you need to use the engines rudders and brakes to get back. and wasp, the lancs will hit their wingtips if you do not take off manually. you need to select engine 4, go full power with rudder and brakes, and get yourself out onto the port side of the deck. then just roll it (as long as you are reasonably light)

now the hard carrier landings start to come with landing head on at the cv (cv headed towards you). for the carrier borne planes with hooks its easy, but for things linke lancs, b24's its a little more difficult. the fast flying fighters are the hardest (mustangs, 190's, which can be done using a little rudder with the brakes to alter your velocity). i did try it once in a 262, but the wheel brakes have such a small effect, you end up flying off the back (sometimes you can actually go back to full power and keep flying, lol)

if anyone needs help landing on cv's i'd be more than happy to help, i always have lots of fun doing it

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 01:42:26 PM »
leave gear up, you can stop on a dime :)
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 01:46:36 PM »
key is to not fall off the deck as well... fly off the deck ... you should be pulling nose up by the end of the carrier....

Get that nose up.  Flaps help alot .. but i'm like yucca... few notches of flaps as I hit end of deck nose up ....  almost thoughtless

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 03:30:29 PM »
Originally posted by MajWoody
leave gear up, you can stop on a dime :)

yes, if i want to land, but i usually rearm. lol, i tried doing lancs 100% fuel and full payload earlier in the ta, take off is difficult, but i do it 1/3 times, and i have landed it head on once or twice properly, but its very easy if you hit something, its very hard to keep the plane intact landing, because you either hit the wing on that dang command deck with all the guns (our cv is slightly off scale if its supposed to be an essex class, it should be a tad bigger. you either hit a wing like i said, or you go too far to the right on approach and you buckle the gear when the wheels run over the side, so you slide on your belly.

its a ton-o-fun tho. if you're bored, just jump in the ta anytime and mess about with the cv's. c13 has all planes enabled if you'd like to practise cv landings/takeoffs in non navy planes

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 04:14:08 AM »
has anyone ever tryed flying at the same speed as the CV going the same direction, above the deck and just dropping on to the deck, applying brakes straight away, just a thought, i guess it could work

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 05:15:05 AM »
:huh

Er... uh... maybe you lack some understanding of the basic principles of flight....
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 05:17:10 AM »
ok why would it not work explain plz if u know so much lol

sorry im not a master of CV flyin dude!!

was only asking
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:20:22 AM by Wasp »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 05:27:47 AM »
Originally posted by Wasp
has anyone ever tryed flying at the same speed as the CV going the same direction, above the deck and just dropping on to the deck, applying brakes straight away, just a thought, i guess it could work

I think you can do that in a TBM.

Maybe D3A. Try full flaps and full dive brakes/flaps.
21 is only half the truth.