Author Topic: Digital Camera  (Read 546 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 10:09:18 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
True enough. I dial mine down to 3.2 mp.

I bought the camera because it had other features I was interested in... shutter priority, aperature priority, control of ASA settings, etc.
:aok  I learned the hard way, my 7.1 megapixel Canon G6 purchased in Dec 2004  is inferior to my Nikon D70s 6.1 megapixel in so many ways I can't even count, and none of it has to do with megapixel. I thought I could get away with less features that the G6 had to offer to save some bucks.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 10:11:15 AM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
Paid 200 bucks for my sony.  Just the basics but its very upgradable and takes good  photos for photo album stuff.  Maybe not professional quality, but who can tell.
You bring up a point of interest...a good photographer can take excellent pictures even with an inferior camera, granted it has a good lenses..good photography is not really about the camera as much as it is about the person behind the lens...

I'm hoping MiniD will give his two cents in this thread, he's a decent photographer.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 11:46:59 AM »
BlueJ

There are many good makes, but personally I would be sure to get one which comes with a cradle, into which the camera is placed for downloading of pics, and recharging. My brother has just bought a cheapo exilim (no cradle) and it also uses standard AA batteries. In my experience, the rechargeable versions of those do not last long between charges (less than half life of normal batts). The exilim/cradle job I have has a long life battery pack <-- definitely recommended if you go on long trips and cannot recharge while you're away. I shot 120+ pics with mine, plus about 10 videos and numerous sound files, and the recharge indicator didn't go into the red zone until the last day of the 2-week trip.

Also, the standard memory card will likely be 128MB. I found I needed at least 512MB. There are plenty of aftermarket memory cards to be had on eBay.

Yes MiniD is a formidable photographer, but... I like a camera which I can keep in my pocket!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Digital Camera
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 11:56:41 AM »
I also believe in Canon and would reccomend this:

Point and shoot snapshot from an older S400, about 1/3 of the full 4.0 megapixle size:

eskimo

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 12:02:50 PM »
Thanks guys. :aok

One question. Do only the camera with the craddle have the ability to put your pictures on the computer ?
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 12:08:42 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Thanks guys. :aok

One question. Do only the camera with the craddle have the ability to put your pictures on the computer ?

A good camera battery will last you over 2000 pictures. With my earlier canon S40, and my canon G6, its months between charges.

I prefer using flash card reader. You can view the pics on your PC, and delete directly from the flash card while in filmstrip mode on the PC. You can take your flashcard down to most stores that have film processing and select the pics directly off the flashcard for processing.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Digital Camera
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 12:39:51 PM »
The Canon's have a standard mini-usb port on them, so I keep a bunch of them (cheap) around and can plug it into any computer to download the pics.  No need for flash reader, no need to carry around a heavy cradle.  Personal preference, I guess.

Something nice about the S and SD series is how small they are.  The smaller they are, the more lilely you'll have it with you to take a picture.  Added bonus, the zeiss lenses are great.  3x optical in a camera as small as that is rare, especially with good lenses.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Digital Camera
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 01:08:22 PM »
Eskimo...that's the one I just picked up, the SD550.  BUT....the freaking sound doesn't work at all.

The only thing that I can think of is that it was charged minimally to snap a few pictures so that the person who brought it to me could claim it is theirs if customs asked any questions.  I'm trying to charge it fully now.

I've tried everything...mute is off...volume is maxed out etc.  Nothing..no sound at all.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Digital Camera
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 02:05:11 PM »
Murphy's frigging Law.

I have a lemon.

This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Digital Camera
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 02:09:35 PM »
Absolutely do not get a cradle or a camera that requires one; it’s an absolute waste.

Get a camera that will fit easily into your pocket.  I have a degree in photography and that’s the best advice I can give anyone.  Why?  Because the best camera in the world will do you no good if it’s at home and you and your subject are not.  A little pocket camera like any of the Canon Elph series are as easy to carry around as a cell phone.  I can climb a mountain, work all day, go kayaking or even sleep with my S400 in my pocket and not even know its there.  It’s noticeably bigger than what’s available today.  I’ve never talked to anyone who regretted owning a Canon Elph.

Whatever camera you get, get one extra rechargeable battery; name brand is not essential on the battery and the imitators can be much cheaper.  Also get a decent sized card, like a 512 or a 1 gig.  Your camera will probably come with a small card that will fill up annoyingly quick.  These two things should be considered essential.  

I really like a card reader and they can be found for under $20, but they are not essential.  

Do not waste money on a “start up kit”.  

If you get a camera that will fit in your pocket, do not get a camera bag!  Lots of folks do this and it defeats the purpose of owning a compact camera.  Just carry the camera in your pocket, it will be fine.

Tripods are often worth owning.  They will give you clear pictures in poor light and allow you to take near scanner quality pictures of old print photos (with the flash off to eliminate glare).

eskimo

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Digital Camera
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 02:14:38 PM »
Doh!  Except Curval!  

Wouldn’t you know it; he’s just frigging cursed though.  
If he bought a Bic pen it would probably be defective, or someone would steal it.

eskimo

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Digital Camera
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 02:34:32 PM »
Everything Eskimo2 just said.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 03:35:13 PM »
I have a Fuji Finepix E550 as well. They are super cheap, especially for a 6.3 MP camera and are very nice for a snapshot camera. It powers on almost instantly and has a nice big display. Also it uses AA batteries which I like. I don't like the XD card, but hey, they're cheap enough. The E510 is almost as good and is even cheaper.

g00b

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 05:24:46 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
You can take your flashcard down to most stores that have film processing and select the pics directly off the flashcard for processing.
Better still, some photolabs produce software that enable you to upload pics to the processing lab via a FTP interface. Going down to the store is soooo.... 1990s. :p

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Digital Camera
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 05:56:05 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Better still, some photolabs produce software that enable you to upload pics to the processing lab via a FTP interface. Going down to the store is soooo.... 1990s. :p
Good point!;)
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8605995&uid=2726312&members=1