Author Topic: Tuskeegee Airmen  (Read 549 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« on: November 09, 2005, 08:09:28 AM »
Has anyone heard about a recent death of one of them?  A kid at school claims his grandfather was one of them and he had recently passed away, or it might have been the anniversary of his death.  I googled it but couldn't find anything.  Last name should be Whetmore or Wetmore, unless he was related to the kid's mother.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »
Ya might want to ask ROCKY if you see him on in the MA
His father was a T- pilot and he follows the happenings on the vets from that group

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »
Many T-Airmen were not pilots. I met one a few years back who was a confirmed gunner ace in B-25's.  He also served on our local school board.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 05:52:14 PM »
Amazing group of individuals.  Strong, determined men that overcame phenomenal odds just to serve their country.

My hat is off to them all.  Fortunately, I have had the pleasure of meeting several of the pilosts, and a few of the mechanics.  Every single one was a gentleman, and a pleasure to talk to.

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:23:19 AM »
I have a problem going up to older fellows who appear to be in their 70's and 80's and asking "Did you serve in WW2?"  I'd shake their hand or something but I think it would be rude to go up to someone and say that.  After all, some of them might not want to talk about it.  My great uncle's that were in it died several years ago, my other great uncle (other side of family) was a photographer in Vietnam, he's the only veteran I know of in my family.  Guess it's time to get the courage to ask if I can see his pictures and stuff from the war.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 02:35:32 AM »
The guy I sit next to at work is a WWII veteran.  81 years old and still working 20 hours a week by his choice.  He checks up on other seniors, makes sure the meals we deliver are working out for them, pays them visits to make sure they are doing ok and if not he works on getting the appropriate social services in touch with them.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 06:49:06 AM »
my other great uncle (other side of family) was a photographer in Vietnam, he's the only veteran I know of in my family. Guess it's time to get the courage to ask if I can see his pictures and stuff from the war.

I wouldn't ask him anything pertaining to the war in Vietnam.Most of those guys are better off forgetting that time in their life,the best thing you can do is too let him decide too tell you.You might not want to open an old wound.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 07:12:28 AM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
I wouldn't ask him anything pertaining to the war in Vietnam.Most of those guys are better off forgetting that time in their life,the best thing you can do is too let him decide too tell you.You might not want to open an old wound.

Not to start a fight, but I disagree.  While I would not press and harass him on the subject, I would open the door.  In my experience what most of the Vietnam vets suffer from is not being able to talk to anyone about it.  Like most war vets, you will probably not get a day-by-day, moment-by-moment detailed report, but you will be surprised at the willingness to discuss things.  Simply let them know how much you appreciate their service.  Like I said, don't "interrogate" him, but some sincere encouragement can do wonders.

On this point I do agree with AutoPilot:  If you try to open the door and it get's slammed, don't take it personal.  If the door is open and they suddenly close it, don't take it personal.  Just make sure they know you are interested in them and their brothers-in-arms.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:37:17 AM »
Originally posted by Blammo
Not to start a fight, but I disagree.  While I would not press and harass him on the subject, I would open the door.  In my experience what most of the Vietnam vets suffer from is not being able to talk to anyone about it.  Like most war vets, you will probably not get a day-by-day, moment-by-moment detailed report, but you will be surprised at the willingness to discuss things.  Simply let them know how much you appreciate their service.  Like I said, don't "interrogate" him, but some sincere encouragement can do wonders.

On this point I do agree with AutoPilot:  If you try to open the door and it get's slammed, don't take it personal.  If the door is open and they suddenly close it, don't take it personal.  Just make sure they know you are interested in them and their brothers-in-arms.

Well put blammo........

Had a young gentlemen come upto me asked if i was in Vietnam. Said no Just under age as i was born late 50's. I answered that i had 2  brothers a cousin and My father there  from 1964 - end of war. This young  man asked if I lost any of them in war, I paused for sec and said well yes my oldest brother was killing 1967 april 1st he was Airforce pilot. the next thing he said shocked me. " I think I'm your nephew" ( guess my simple mind couldn't understand why a young black man would think he was this white old guys nephew) . He goes on to tell me how his Father was killed 1967 april 1st 3 months before he was born. Still i said many men probally died april1st 1967 in viet nam. Of course I was stupid again, His reply Airforce pilots? This youngman took alot of courage to find me and aproach me in a way not to scare me off. I called his mom talked to her for about 5-6 hours. Knew was no doubt that my brother and her were together. Still had to do a DNA at their request not mine. And they now big part of our family. Most you WARBIRDERS KNEW him by his first name TYREE as he flew with his first name. Tyree Wnet to Airforce acad. in Co, springs and flew for 6 years in af like his father. The greatest gift of this was the joy my mom who lost two sons in viet nam got from having a grandson to watch grow up into fine young man like his father. She always thought My brother would be found alive or come home and would live waiting for that day until Tyree came to my company pretending looking for a job, Instead of her focus on Richie it became tyree this tryee that. I believe that is why she lived a long a fruitful live. All because 1 young man took the courage to find out who he was.

I thought my brothers were my hero's but that kid makes me more proud every day. His mom probally nicest lady I have ever met. She raised that young man better then My wife and I raised ours. And she did it alone. ah watermelon better stop keyboard getting to wet.   Blammo Hope David's doing find my david will ask about him every once in while..........

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:00:44 PM »
Rod

Awsome post
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 02:43:26 PM »
Thank you for sharing that Rod.

Some Vet's will only talk to you after you get to know them.  I used to work in a mill with a Vietnam vet where we had hours and hours of time to talk.  After a few months he started telling me stories of his time in the war.  I was a teenager then and felt honored that he felt comfortable enough to tell me his deep dark secrets.  After listening to some of his stories it was then that I realized that war really is hell.  

I learned to have a great deal of respect at a young age for the brave men who put their lives on the line for a war that was not always popular.  I could tell that he had a hard time with the hippie culture opposing the war and instead of being welcomed home as heroes as they should have been, they were treated very badly by some in this country.  I think it helped that I was too young and all that happened before my time.

The mill closed down years ago and I have no idea where he is now but I always felt proud to have counted him as a friend and to have learned about Vietnam from someone who was there in the thick of it.

If there are any vets on this board, I would like to say a great big thank you for your service.  You are all heroes in my book.

Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 03:25:07 PM »
Don't be afraid to ask questions but show some tact when you do. It's one thing to ask a vet if he served, when and where. That sort of thing. DON'T ask a vet if they ever killed someone. That will most likely get the door slammed in your face. Be polite and thank them for their service.

I was fortunate enough to have several Vietnam Vets serve with me during Desert Storm. My First Sargent, Platoon Sargent, and my Section Chief were all Vietnam Vets. They were all some of the most down to earth people in the unit (and we were in a National Guard unit from Oklahoma A btry 1/158th FA). They were very cool but when they talked about combat we listened. They had been there and done that, so when the ground war started I looked to them for guidance like most everyone else did. Hell I was only 19 at the time and scared to death. Those guys got me through it in one piece. I think we (the unit as a whole) were able to show them just how much we appreciated them and their service, when we got home. We made sure that all the Vietnam vets in the Battalion (12 total I think) were the first ones off the plane. After all those years they finally got the cheering, flag waving, happy homecoming they deserved. The funny thing is they didn't want to make a big deal about it. Our Battalion commander finally had to make it an order, and I can remember every person on that plane cheering for them as they walked off. It was great to be a part of that.

Remeber to thank the vets tomorrow. Belive me they have earned it!!:aok
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 05:03:52 PM »
I don't think he ever killed anyone, pretty sure he didn't.  My dad's parents are in their late 60's and so my great uncles would be in their 70's or 80's at this point.  My uncle that was in Vietnam was the youngest, which is why my great uncles served different wars etc etc.  Like Rod mentioned, I don't think I would go up to someone and ask, what if they look older then they actually are?  It usually offends women more then men but you never know.

Is there anywhere I can go to meet some veterans who would be willing to share their stories?  I should probably make a trip to see some tomorrow.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 06:49:53 PM »
Find your local VFW and go in for a visit. Nursing homes are good to. Ask around and you will find someone who has served and willing to talk to a younger person about their experiances. I live near Portsmouth VA and actualy get to meet alot of vets at the Naval Hospital here. I've gotten to talk to several guys that survived Pearl Harbor when they were in the Navy. It gives you a whole different perspective hearing first hand accounts of things that happened, that you only read about or see on a TV documentary. Pretty amassing stuff.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Tuskeegee Airmen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:40:32 PM »
I don't think I would go up to someone and ask, what if they look older then they actually are? It usually offends women more then men but you never know.

The WW2 Vets are a comepletly different story,about 10 years ago i was interested in WW2 Re-Enacting but thought it was dis-honoring too the men and women who gave thier lives.I went to a local event and found that the majority of Vets were there ,and making sure that we did things the right way for they wanted to keep the memory of what they did alive.