Author Topic: Skins per person and model limmit....  (Read 545 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Skins per person and model limmit....
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:21:46 AM »
Seriously isnt it time that there was a skins per person and plane limmit for skins?

I feel that the skinning of the remade planes has more or less become a race between skinners to get their skins in as fast as possible inorder to just get a slot. This is really bad for quality of skins AND it makes skinning pretty much pointless for us skinners that dont have as much time to dedicate in one week, hence take longer to produce skins.

Ive got a B Pony project that I really would like to finish but atm I feel "either dump it or rush it to get a slot". Both options are extreamly unsatisfactory and stressing. I wana make a good quality skin but atm I dont feel there is any posibility to do that.

Even thinking of making a Spit skin with the skin spam hoard around the block is just out of the question for me.

Tex

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 07:36:21 AM »
I would finish it if I were you.  Do the best job you can and give HTC the chance to compare your skin to the others and decide what is best for the sim.

I'm not sure we've ever had skins swapped out before, so I don't know what HTC's criteria is.   I would suppose they would emphasize higher quality skins, but also might prefer to balance that with a desire to spread the work out among more skinners, and make sure there is adequate representation of the different FGs the flew the skin and the theaters they operated in.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 08:18:34 AM »
Emphesis should be quality ofcourse... but should it be long term or short term quality?

If you judge "this skin is better then that skin, lets swap em" then you only consider short term quality because it will discourage new skinners and create a "elite group that sits on all skins".

IF it is as its now with people rushing their skins just to get in then it hurts both short term and long term quality.

IF we limmit slots per person then we get more skinners involved and hence more continuity.  Ofcourse it shouldnt be 2 dedicated slots.. just max 2 per plane.. also it should be possible to have more then two in but if the plane type starts to get full one of the skins of the skinner that has more then 2 in will be removed in place the new skinners skin.

This afterall is a hobby and not a competition.

Either way the way it is today is quite bad and will result in quite bad skins.

Tex.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 09:24:35 AM »
We will not allow bad skins into the game.  We are sticklers for quality.  If you find a bad one, let me know.

Basic criteria for skin replacement is 1) how unique is it compared to what is already in the game? 2) Is the overall quality better than what is in the game?  We also have to judge the mechanical and historical aspects.

Limiting any one skinner to a number of skins is not fair either.  There are people doing this who have a natural ability for doing extremely good artwork.  We would be remiss in not allowing those skins into the game, particularly when they meet the criteria.

This pushes people to do the best they can, as only the best work will find its way into the game.  Quality is not neccessarily in conflict with quantity.  It all depends on the person doing it.

The real issue is one of duplicity.  How do you guys (all the skinners) make sure you are all doing a unique work?  Communication seems to be the best way, then it is not a matter of time, just a matter of signing up.  I would suggest giving this a go now.

Create a thread for a particular model, then everyone signup to do a skin.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Skins per person and model limmit....
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 10:15:06 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Ive got a B Pony project that I really would like to finish but atm I feel "either dump it or rush it to get a slot". Both options are extreamly unsatisfactory and stressing. I wana make a good quality skin but atm I dont feel there is any posibility to do that.
Tex

Tex,

is this Kid Hofer's P-51B Salem Representative?  I noticed it was not in the current skin pack and was wondering what had happened to it.

If so please finish it!!  Its a beauty.

Cheers
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:06:46 PM »
Yeah that is the skin Im working on... but time is very limmited for me hence IVe not yet been able to finish it.. Im really questioning if I will have it done before the stack for the B pony is full...

But I will finish it and we will see what happens...

Tex