Author Topic: joystick calibration problems!!  (Read 520 times)

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/tommysteele1
joystick calibration problems!!
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:00:47 AM »
calibration problems!!!!
my stick will not calibrate properley in AH2, when in windows calibratin it shows the stick to be centred but in aces high when calibration is complete the stick is always calibrated to far to the left wots going on!!!!  
its a saitek st290
:confused: :huh
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 04:03:14 AM by Wasp »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:50:57 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but low end Saitek joysticks...about half of them it seems...don't do well with Aces High and it's always a calibration issue. I've owned Cyborg USB Golds and its replacement, the Evo. They seem to last about 3 months and the "pots" wear out.

You can try calling Skuzzy to see if he has any ideas. Does the stick perform well in other applications?

If you buy any other Saitek product, spend the $$ on a replacement warranty...you'll probably need to replace at some point.

Not intending to run down Saitek...the X52 I recently bought is a crowd pleaser.

DmdMax

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
its not calibrated to the left, its just the engine torque. if you are using wep the plane will spin to the left slowly because of the prop spin. because you were using a mouse before you would not of noticed the effect because the mouse does not centre itself. its normal, dont worry. it should only happen in wep. use right aileron trim to counter it (L key by default)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 02:05:59 PM »
Counter torque with *aileron* trim???????? L is rudder trim to the left ;). And i think combat trim takes care of that anyway IIRC.

And btw Pooface, torque *is* noticable when flying with mouse.

Wasp, when you say its off to the left.... does the *plane* move to the left or do the graphics in SETUP>CONTROLS>JOYSTICK>SETTINGS show its off?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:23:27 PM »
nah it not the engine the airelons are not level when i look out the cockpit. and the stick does work fine in other games im well confused

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »
i can probabley live with it till i get a better stick thanks for the advise guys will just have to spend more money lol

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 01:31:28 AM »
wasp, you could try adding a little more deadband (In Joystick settings) to the roll axis. Maybe that helps.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 11:38:06 AM »
Originally posted by Wasp
in other games im well confused

I was well confused once; now I'm just confused :)

DmdMax

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 12:33:24 PM »
lol, sorry my mistake :D

right aileron trim is the , key. believe me, that rolling is due to engine torque. you only notice it when using wep 'p' key.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 01:03:41 PM »
Poof, how do you explain the *banked* ailerons with torque???????

I could believe that a plane 'might' have a very slight roll tendency due to toque at very high power, but what wasp described is way too strong effect and besides i assume he has that prob in all planes, not just the high eng power ones.....

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 01:59:48 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Poof, how do you explain the *banked* ailerons with torque???????

I could believe that a plane 'might' have a very slight roll tendency due to toque at very high power, but what wasp described is way too strong effect and besides i assume he has that prob in all planes, not just the high eng power ones.....

shatzi, combat trim trims your plane for speed, not throttle. it is set to default as trimming for your speed and maximum power. if you go to wep, you are producing more torque than what the combat trim expects, and the plane slowly rolls left. try it in the ta, just fly straight max power, no autopilot, then engage wep. the plane slowly rolls over. wasp never said anything about it rolling quickly, he just said it was rolling left all the time.

he flies in h2h, and so probably uses wep the whole time, util he gets killed, due to the tiny distances. wasp, try flying without wep unless in combat. otherwise, learn how to trim your plane manually

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »
Originally posted by Wasp
nah it not the engine the airelons are not level when i look out the cockpit. and the stick does work fine in other games im well confused

Weather the ailerons are lvl or not is not only dependant on the joystick alone. Try the following:

Put your plane in the training arena and use the manual aileron trimm,
"m" and "," i think to set the trim indicator from one extreme to the other. you will see that the ailorons move out of center. BTW with comat trim it also compensates for diffrent loading, if you have bombs on your wings and drop one of the bombs and the other wing is still heavy then the combat trim trims the ailorons eaven more out of center.

Checking weather your joystick input is good or not you have to do in the joystick configuration, where you see 3 lines for the 3 axis and see the lines move if you put it away from center.

No need for manual trim, combat trim is fine. The plane never flys straight when not on auto pilot, that is the nature of fighter aircraft: When you design the plane so it flys straight without any input it has to fight against the forces that make it fly straight when maneuvering.

So nervous plane = better maneuverability = better fighter.

Plane flys straight n lvl without input = less maneuverable= good civilian (non-airobatics) aircraft.

It might still be your stick is spiking, but the problem that your ailerons are not centered while your stick is depends on the trim feature in the game. There are huge discussions weather the trim stuff if realistic or not, but it is realistic that the plane does NOT fly straight and that the ailorons, rudder and elevator are NOT in the middle when flying (nor on the ground).

On the ground, when there is no airflow around the controll surfaces, real fighters have the controls not centerd at all by itself, at least most of the ww2 fighters.

Hope to clear that up a bit, you can of course fiddle around with the manual trimm to get em centerd but then your plane rolls like hell and doesnt fly straight in no way.

[EDIT] you can fly P38, no torque.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:28:38 PM by Schutt »

Offline Wasp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks Schutt that helped alot  and i think its worked :aok

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:46:44 PM »
Didnt know the trim actually caused the ailerons to be off center position. (i never looked out the windows to check on my ailerons before....) My bad. Im sorry if i caused confusion.

I still dont think manual trim solves the issue, i guess youll just have to 'know' about it and dont worry. The effect never stood out in a fight (at least not for me). I use combat trim in most situations.