Author Topic: Frickin dog  (Read 804 times)

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 11:32:49 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
You dont spend much time actually paying attention to dogs do you? LOL

They know. I know they know. And they know I know they know.

If you catch a dog in the act, they definitely know.  That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that if you bring a dog over to a mistake he made an hour ago, they don't have any idea what you're talking about.  And yes, I do pay attention to my dogs.  I've been training dogs all my life and professionally for the last 4 years.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 12:27:40 AM »
Originally posted by Cougar68
If you catch a dog in the act, they definitely know.  That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that if you bring a dog over to a mistake he made an hour ago, they don't have any idea what you're talking about.  And yes, I do pay attention to my dogs.  I've been training dogs all my life and professionally for the last 4 years.

Oh yes they do.
Many was the occasion I walked in the door and went to where the dog was only to see him look at me like "Ut oh" and wondering what was up.
then walking into the kitchen and finding the garbage all over the floor.

I've also walked into the room merely holding an item that had been chewed up at some point during the day and had the dog take one look at it and get the same reaction without me doing a thing or saying a word.

I'm telling ya. they know
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Frickin dog
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 03:20:11 AM »

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 03:30:27 AM »
Oh yes they do.
Many was the occasion I walked in the door and went to where the dog was only to see him look at me like "Ut oh" and wondering what was up.
then walking into the kitchen and finding the garbage all over the floor.

I've also walked into the room merely holding an item that had been chewed up at some point during the day and had the dog take one look at it and get the same reaction without me doing a thing or saying a word.

I'm telling ya. they know

It's likely he was in the trash just before you walked in and had stopped when he heard you coming.  Other than that, it's all body posture.  I tell ya man, I've worked with loads of dogs and they just don't remember something bad they did the hour before.  Their minds do not work that way.

For example, I have a two year old Collie.  He can be walking along happy as can be, but if I scowl at him he flops his ears back and looks like he got caught with his best friend's wife.  He didn't do anything, I just looked at him like he did.  Try it with your own dog if you don't believe me.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 03:49:39 AM »
Originally posted by Golfer
We had a chocolate lab and I am getting my own in the spring time.  

I think I once had a chocolate lab... at least that's what the Korean chef said it was.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Frickin dog
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 06:43:29 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana
We got a German Shepard puppy last Aprl and by this time I figured he'd be able to stay in the house all day without chewing crap up.  Especially since it is getting colder we just leave the dogs inside.  Well not once but twice I had to yell at him, once when I got up and once when I got home.  I'm out of ideas and my step dad seems to think his "little" dog is an angel.  Mostly because he didn't have to clean up the dog stuff for 2 monthes.  So I get home I yell "bad dog!" "NO" several times to him while showing him what he had done.  Didn't seem to phase him.  I don't know what to do, is yelling at him the wrong thing to do?  I don't want to pull out my airsoft gun and ping him with it.  I'm just extremely frustrated.

Our Husky used to run around the backyard and not come in.  I shot him once with a toned down paintbll gun.   We never had the problem again.  It didn't bruise him at all because of the undercoat he had (it was Winter).

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 07:11:29 AM »

They know. I know they know. And they know I know they know.

They know. No way you can convince me otherwise

They know

I've had dogs my whole life. They know. They all know

You`re right. I know you are. I`m just wondering if they know that other people  also knows that they know we know. Ya know?
I just don`t know. ;)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 07:35:59 AM »
Originally posted by Cougar68
It's likely he was in the trash just before you walked in and had stopped when he heard you coming.  Other than that, it's all body posture.  I tell ya man, I've worked with loads of dogs and they just don't remember something bad they did the hour before.  Their minds do not work that way.

For example, I have a two year old Collie.  He can be walking along happy as can be, but if I scowl at him he flops his ears back and looks like he got caught with his best friend's wife.  He didn't do anything, I just looked at him like he did.  Try it with your own dog if you don't believe me.

Actually no.

Wasnt the first time he'd been in the garbage.
From expeiance I cant tell you when he did it he did it right after we left the house in the morning.
I mean literally as soon as we walked out the door.

On more then a few occassions I walked back in from the car in the morning specifically because I remembered I forgot to close the gate to the kitchen to prevent exactly this and caught him dead to rights in the act not two minutes after we walked out the door.

I'll not dissagree that they respond to body posture. But they can and do think deeper then that.
 And they remember
Ok for some perhaps not untill you show them what it was they did But they do remember.
Example.
sometime during the night one of the dogs (had two beagles at the time) got hold of one of my daughters stuffed animals (one of those giant ones) and shredded it. We were running real late so I didnt have tme to clean it up and simply closed the door so they couldnt get in there and make it any worse before we got home
Came home and the dogs are doing their ohboy ohboy ohboy yourhome happy dance routine.

so we greated them as we normally do having forgotten about the mess untill I saw the door closed.
So I walk over to the door to clean it up with the dogs following  me as they normally do when we first get home and I open the door and walk in.
They follow me in and as soon as I reach over to start picking up the peices that are too big for the shop vac the male gets that guilty look and tucktails it out of the room and into my sons room and under the bed while the female just stood there wagging her tail.
and I hadnt said a word about it.
Not only did he know. he remembered.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »
Clearly when you walk in the door and his ears flop down and he isn't jumping to greet you, he's done something wrong, he knows;)
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 09:51:10 AM »
didn't read all, but it sounds liek seperation anexiety. thas an actual thing with dogs.

try making a CD of your voice, talking or something, and various "normal" noises, like the TV and stuff, then play it looped quietly while you are out.

you can also try a kennel when no one is home. my cousin has to huskies that are great, and when they leave for the daythe dogs just go right to their kennels. it is not a punishment, and NEVER put the dogs into it as a punishment, but only as a "wait here and i'll be back soon".

the dogs actually get used to, and enjoy them then.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 04:30:16 PM »
We used to leave the radio on as a calming factor when we kept him caged in the house when he was a puppy.  Will have to try it again though.

Being bored seems like a plausible idea too.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 05:23:40 PM »
The smarter the breed the more attention you need to pay.  Your Shepard is just looking for something to do. If you don't fill his time, he will.

Also Dred is right.

They know.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 05:39:12 PM »
Actually no.

Wasnt the first time he'd been in the garbage.
From expeiance I cant tell you when he did it he did it right after we left the house in the morning.
I mean literally as soon as we walked out the door.

On more then a few occassions I walked back in from the car in the morning specifically because I remembered I forgot to close the gate to the kitchen to prevent exactly this and caught him dead to rights in the act not two minutes after we walked out the door.

I'll not dissagree that they respond to body posture. But they can and do think deeper then that.
 And they remember
Ok for some perhaps not untill you show them what it was they did But they do remember.
Example.
sometime during the night one of the dogs (had two beagles at the time) got hold of one of my daughters stuffed animals (one of those giant ones) and shredded it. We were running real late so I didnt have tme to clean it up and simply closed the door so they couldnt get in there and make it any worse before we got home
Came home and the dogs are doing their ohboy ohboy ohboy yourhome happy dance routine.

so we greated them as we normally do having forgotten about the mess untill I saw the door closed.
So I walk over to the door to clean it up with the dogs following  me as they normally do when we first get home and I open the door and walk in.
They follow me in and as soon as I reach over to start picking up the peices that are too big for the shop vac the male gets that guilty look and tucktails it out of the room and into my sons room and under the bed while the female just stood there wagging her tail.
and I hadnt said a word about it.
Not only did he know. he remembered.

I am with Dred on this, some dogs are damn smart. Mine is like this.

She eats the cats food, she isnt supposed to, she will look around and make sure no one is around. Walk into the area and point at the bowl an hour later and look at her and she gets the Im guilty look and the tail goes between the legs.

Some dogs are smart enough to know.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:14 PM »
Feed him AntiFreeze and give him a Car battery as a chew toy...

If it doesn't stop him of his antics, then you'll have the BEST dog
that will break the ice at any BBQ !

:aok

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:12:40 PM by AWMac »

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
Frickin dog
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 07:01:54 PM »
Well I just don't know how else to explain it.  It's conditioned behavior, body posture, etc. etc.  Feel free to talk to any experienced dog trainer about how they remember what they did wrong an hour ago and they'll tell you the same thing.  Has nothing to do with intelligience, it's just their behavior.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Cougar