Author Topic: the sun?  (Read 390 times)

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
the sun?
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:15:25 PM »
surely the bigggest and most long standing, yet almost never mentioned bug.

at sunrise the sun comes out of nothing cut in half, it is what looks like a cartoon sun still in what i now consider to be a developing graphical heaven.

the sun does not in anyway enhance the mood of the arena, 7am to 7pm looks the same, then a while of very bad looking sunset which, when the sun goes down, turns into a beautifull orange glow over glorious landscape.....untill a minute later the whole thing spins and the uber sunrise hits you for another 'day'.

surely i dont need to post a screen shot for anyone to know what i mean.

but i can if there is a despute to my computer settings or game gliches.

the game looks so good these days, the lighting ambience is the weakest link now by a mile in my opinion.

just a thought.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the sun?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:39:22 PM »
I think the "sun" is coming up over the horizon. The problem is that haze and a checkbox (I think it's called "horizon" or "horizon transition" or something) create a fog or haze at the horizon. The sun doesn't respect this, so it displays straight through, as if it's coming over the edge of the horizon.

I've thought about it before. That's what I've come up with. Might be right, might be wrong.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
the sun?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 09:06:09 PM »

looks fantastic!!

a perfect morning becomes very cartoon as the sun breaches the horizon.

and still worse untill the right time of day.

oh, and maybe if we had night.....er.......  no scratch that.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the sun?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 09:09:30 PM »
Try it with the transitions turned off. It looks like it's not shining through the horizon transition so it's really rising earlier than shown, but is hidden behind the haze. Might be a display code issue (display this on top of this, etc)

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
the sun?
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:12:20 PM »
so you dont get this?  in that case its my fault but help me sort it out plz :)  attempting transition dumpage presently.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
the sun?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:33:45 PM »
No, I get the same thing. I'm just trying to figure out why it happens. Normally I just ignore it.

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
the sun?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »
Yeah I get the same thing and like Mech I tend to look past it until I happen to pay it attention again. Then it nags at me until I can look past it again. I do thinks its cool though.

Viscous cycle.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
the sun?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 10:46:10 PM »
I also see this.  Thought it was my crummy graphics drivers.  Guess not.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
the sun?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 11:00:31 PM »
The sun seems to think of your wings as the horizon. If you climb way up high and the sun is supposed to be on the horizon, it's right out your window instead of slightly below you.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
the sun?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 12:29:49 AM »
WTG OOZ, thats exactly it.

went to check it.

the same time of day but a slightly higher camera view point and the sun loses all realism.

it only works on the ground or at sea level.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 12:47:02 AM by mechanic »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
the sun?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
WTG OOZ, thats exactly it.

went to check it.

the same time of day but a slightly higher camera view point and the sun loses all realism.

it only works on the ground or at sea level.

*Does a dance* :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
the sun?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 11:44:12 AM »
imo the sun is slightly too big too, and to bright at sunrise. the sun does need a remodel i think

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
the sun?
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 07:21:55 PM »
i would like to see night time again =[ i miss the night time missions :D run in there and they be blind as a bat with a sock on its head.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
the sun?
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 11:30:39 PM »
!pmub