Author Topic: What happened to LW?  (Read 21231 times)

Offline justin_g

• Copper Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2005, 10:09:56 AM »
Here's a graph that might help make things clearer:

The curves show the sustained climbrate at speeds from stall to top level speed. IOW the curves represent the available excess power at any given speed.

In this case; Plane A will have superior acceleration at lower speeds -  until it crosses under the Plane B curve, after which point Plane B will have superior acceleration performance.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »
Well apparently SOMETHING is throwing a monkey wrench into all the theory about these things. In AH as it is, certain planes outdive planes they historically could not. Since AH2 every plane across the board gained about 50% dive and zoom and E retention capabilities. That's without each and every plane getting a new FM, that's just the code around the FM.

So drastic changes can be made which don't affect AH's "top speed" or "climb rate". We've seen it! Biggest problem to adjust to from AH1 -> AH2 was not gunnery for me, it was "how the hell are they diving like that/zooming like that???" Zeros outrun P40Es with WEP on the deck both co-E. La7s outdive P47s, and out-zoom 109s. As somebody else mentioned, P47 can pull a move at 150mph and hang on its prop with full flaps until 50mph with no problems. So while "top speed" and "climb" and maybe acceleration are correct, other things add up to make the flight envelopes of the planes in AH incorrect.

It's like a thousand papercuts. One is no biggy. 2 is a pain. 3 is annoying. By the time you get to 1000 it's just unacceptable.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2005, 11:16:26 AM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Saying the best climber should be the best accelerator? If they are directly related I mean.

Basically, yes. P-47D-11s climb like a brick, accelerates like a VW minibus.

Ki84s climb like a rocket, and accelerate like a topfuel dragster.

Climb and acceleration are directly related, however...

Originally posted by Crumpp
Sure over the total envelope.  Other Aircraft may still accelerate faster however depending on the portion of the envelope examined.

Exactly Crumpp, thats what I have been saying. While some planes may accelerate best a low-mid speeds, and some at mid-high, their ability to accelerate and their climb rates are still directly related and really are the same thing.

Offline milian

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »

And hence the problem, if Top speed, and climbs are correct, then Accelerations. Also must be correct.

You can not seperate the items because they are all directly related.

Zoom climbs would also include some loading so you would also have to find out if stustained turn rates are correct.

But if sustained turn, top speed, stall speed,and climb rates are correct. Then accelerations have to be correct, in dive zoom or level.

Stall characteristics are much more subjective then the other pieces of the flight envlope.

HiTech

Dok, Think of Climb rate as a car going up hill. The lift is serving just as the tires of the car do, and has no effect on climb rate.

Drag does effect climb rate, just like it would effect acceleration in a car. But for any given speed the drag does not change if your are flying level or going up hill. As long as the speed remains constant so does the drag.

(Side note drag does drop very slightly in a climb (do to less lift required), but for normal purposes you can ignore the change)

Basicly it is exatly the same as a car, the exess power can either pull you up hill, or increase your speed. Climb rate and acceleration are linear functions of each other.

those statements only underscore the ignorance and incompetence of the HTC flight modeling staff.  These statements are absolutely false.

First:
"And hence the problem, if Top speed, and climbs are correct, then Accelerations. Also must be correct."

absolutely false.  Consider two aircraft, one with a drag plate area of 4 sq ft such as the P-51, and then another with a plate area of 40 sq ft, both aircraft of the same weight, let's say 10,000 lbs.  Let's say we also give one model a wing efficiency of 1, and the other a wing efficiency of .1.  A flight model CAN be developed where each aircraft WILL have the same climb rate and the same top speed.  However, since the as in the climb, the flight model that has a wing efficiency of .1 will require about 1,000 more hp to produce the same climb rate, likewise, the aircraft with a 40 sq ft drag area will require about 15,000 hp to go 350 mph at sl, whereas the 4 sqft model will only require about 1,500 hp.  I guarandamntee you that the difference in wing efficiency in the climb rate will create a change in acceleration, same as with top speed.

Another thing with zoom climbs, you don't know, and cannot calculate, the horsepower at speeds greater than the top level speed.  For all you know, the maximum horsepower at top speed could be decreasing on one aircraft, whereas on another it could gain another 10% of horsepower in a dive due to ram effect and prop efficiencies.  

"But if sustained turn, top speed, stall speed,and climb rates are correct. Then accelerations have to be correct, in dive zoom or level."

This is absolutely false.  The sustained turn performance is greatly tied to wing efficiency.  Consider again the equation for induced drag:

induced drag = 2 * weight^2 / (rho pi wingspan^2 wingefficiency velocity^2)

now consider an aircraft in a a 3g turn.  The aircraft will weigh 3 times as much, and in relation to drag - that is 3 times SQUARED.  Now consider everything being equal in two different aircraft except for horsepower and wing efficiency.  So that the equation could be reduced down to a constant * weight^2 / wingefficiency or let C = 2/(rho pi b V^2)  

thus you have

induced drag = C W^2/e

now you WILL have a greatly different required HP for the two aircraft if one has a wing efficiency of .95 and one that has an e of .45.  EVEN THOUGH the turn rates may be the same, they WILL have different acceleration. So at sea level, for a b=32 ft at 200mph, C = 1/330,000

so for a 10,000 lb aircraft at 3g, the difference in induced drag between a .45 and .95 wing efficiency is 2890 lbs verses 6075 lbs, or a 1535 hp vs 3240 hp.  That difference will definitely make a difference in acceleration.

"Dok, Think of Climb rate as a car going up hill. The lift is serving just as the tires of the car do, and has no effect on climb rate."

absolutely false.  In a sustained climb, as you know, the lift is constant.  However the amount of lift can be changed by the angle of attack of the wings.  BUT in changing the angle of attack, you also change the amount of induced drag created.  Going back yet once again to wing efficiency.  Again, two aircraft with differing wing efficiencies and different climb power rates to create the same climb rate, WILL have different accelerations.

"Climb rate and acceleration are linear functions of each other."

That may be true for a single airspeed for a single aircraft, but as I have already shown, what is the slope of the linearity?  You simply can't say that because you have the climb rate correct, that you have acceleration correct.

As far as turn rates go also, it's not just horsepower and wing efficiency, but also the stall.  If one aircraft stalls at 75 mph and another stalls at 110mph, the slower one almost certainly will turn inside the faster one.  Case in point, and probably my whole reason for this diatribe is simply look at the Spits stall point in the game.  You can probably measure the early spits at 75 mph and the later ones around 85mph.  BUT these should be IAS speeds.  Going back to the Spit 1 where the stalling speed is generally quoted as 76 to 78mph, 78mph in the N1371 report, BUT this is IAS, and if you look at the position error for the Spit, it is nearly 12 mph at this speed, meaning the TAS stall speed is closer to 90 mph than 75.  The same goes for the FW 190.  Wonder why the 190 has such poor turn performance in AH?  It's because of the high stall speed, well over 100mph.  The 190 doesn't have any problem turning, the problem is it reaches it's stall WAY to early.  The 190 has a wing area of 197 sq ft.  Given that Stall speed = (2*W/ (Rho CLMax WingArea))^.5 or that CLMax = 2W / (S * Rho * Vs^2), that gives the 190 a CLMax of of 1.25 at 7000lbs, wherease with the spit, a 75mph stall speed at 6000 lbs give it a CLMax of nearly 1.8, when in fact, there should be very little difference in the CLMax of each aircraft, and both should be closer to 1.5.

The plane and basic facts are that these guys are simply inept when it comes to flight modeling.  They can't even realistically calculate a proper stall speed, and use IAS numbers for what should be TAS, and can't even do a CLMax calculation to verify that their assumptions are correct.  Their flight modeling technique is just about as good as their spelling.

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
Exactly Crumpp, thats what I have been saying. While some planes may accelerate best a low-mid speeds, and some at mid-high, their ability to accelerate and their climb rates are still directly related and really are the same thing.

I don't know how AH models acceleration but it can make a huge difference.

An aircraft that can accelerate in the lower end of the speed scale can afford to bleed it's opponent down.  As long as it pressed the advantage it will always maintain it.

I have noticed the same thing about certain aircraft.  I have to wonder how a Hurricane can dive with an FW-190 or a Bf-109.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2005, 12:18:27 PM »
there should be very little difference in the CLMax of each aircraft, and both should be closer to 1.5.

Interesting. I have Focke Wulf documentation saying the CL max 1.58 for the FW-190A8.

We have been trying to retrace the conditions the aircraft was under vs measured polars.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2005, 12:25:06 PM »
Originally posted by milian
those statements only underscore the ignorance and incompetence of the HTC flight modeling staff.  These statements are absolutely false.

The plane and basic facts are that these guys are simply inept when it comes to flight modeling.  They can't even realistically calculate a proper stall speed, and use IAS numbers for what should be TAS, and can't even do a CLMax calculation to verify that their assumptions are correct.  Their flight modeling technique is just about as good as their spelling.

If it smells like a Straiga, walks like a Straiga and quacks like a Straiga....

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »
Grits, interesting but what happens when it comes to a dive?

I mean, we all know the P47 was infamaous for accelerating once put in a dive. Then this whole thing must be turned upside down?

Interesting Info here...

*Will keep on listening*
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 02:13:45 PM by Wilbus »
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2005, 12:48:55 PM »
Originally posted by milian

Why dont you submit your resume to them Professor?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2005, 12:50:10 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Grits, interesting but what happens when it comes to a dive?

I mean, we all know the P47 was infamaous for accelerating once put in a dive. Then this whole thing must be turned upside down?

One word...MASS. They climb like bricks, and fall like bricks. :)

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
What happened to LW?
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »
I don't think the personal attacks were helpful, but overall we're making some progress here. We're discussing physics now instead of bias and conspiracy theory.

So I'm remaining hopeful - if we can find out the root cause of the Fw's low-speed handling/spin and acceleration woes, maybe that'll help resolve other abnormalities people have been talking about.

Somewhere in all this is an answer.

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
keep personal attacks to bare minimum

im hopefull that 190s willl be solved.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »
Crumpp:
Total drag = (lift)induced drag + parasite drag.
induced drag decreases with speed while parasite drag increases with speed.
Not sure if there is a crossing point, but if it is, it is not at top speed.
Acceleration is told to be in close relation to ROC (HoHun)
Dive speed is NOT in relation to ROC.
Terminal Velocity does NOT rely totally on mass. Mass will help within the same airframe though. (Remember the 2 cannonball test from the tower in Pisa as well as the feather and hammer on the moon, - remember Newton)

And Milian: are you a troll? :confused:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Crumpp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2005, 01:31:06 PM »
Not sure if there is a crossing point, but if it is, it is not at top speed.

Yes there is a crossing point.  That is where drag is the lowest and usually the cruise speed of an aircraft.

Acceleration is told to be in close relation to ROC (HoHun)

Yes as stated already accelleration is closely related to climb.  I don't feel like repeating myself a dozen times.  Please go back and read the thread.

All the best,

Crumpp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
What happened to LW?
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
Crump,

That is what I meant.  After the peak climb/acceleration speed (that is, after all, what we're talking about here) where parasitic drag exceeds induced drag, total drag will simply increase as the speed increases until the total drag equals the aircraft's acceleration.  The greater the drag the lower the acceleration and hence the lower the climb rate.  Due to differing parasitic drag on differing airframes each aircraft using different engines and propellors each aircraft will have it's own, unique, curve.

There is something I would like to point out about the dive acceleration that people keep talking about.  You seem to think that it was much different than it was.  I recall that somebody, Widewing I think, posted text from the USA's comparitive flight trials of the A6M2 against various USN ans USAAF fighters.  The American fighters pulled away from the A6M2 in a dive as you'd expect, however the actual distances gained on it were not nearly so large as you would expect.  I don't remember the numbers so I won't post guesses, but I do remember it totally changed my take of things like the RAF's description of the Fw190's diving capability compared to the Spitfire Mk IX's.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-