Author Topic: Real cockpit and Aces High cockpit comparisons  (Read 2435 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Real cockpit and Aces High cockpit comparisons
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2005, 02:41:37 PM »
There was not actually much changed in the new 109 compared to the old one. The areas marked with red were visible in old 109, now they are thicker. The general impression just seems much more restricting... maybe partly because of teh darker colors (almost black)

The above mentioned 1-sided polygon approach could actually be used to compensate the lacking light refraction phenomena in thick armoured glasses... like in the 109 windshield. COmpare the photos and game screenshots.... straight ahead...  (frames appear about 1/4 thinner in real life)

... and slightly from the side (about 1/3 thinner in real life)

I honestly think that even this slight change would mean a lot with e.g. deflection shots. With longer distances the thicker appearing frames make a bigger difference since the larger hidden angle hides more and more area.. and planes.

Therefore the 1-sided polygon approach could be fairly easily utilized to the 109 windshield frames. They would still appear the same from outside, but they would appear thinner from inside. Could this be done, please?

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2005, 04:12:52 PM »
on the below X-sections - purple line is the 109 cockpit / inst panel with the red being a guestimate at where the adjustable seat would be...the blue lines on the 51 are the cockpit / panel. Green lines are the 109 canopy.

You can easily see that the pilot in the 51 would be farther back from the front winsheild than the 109 pilot. That is going to translate to stuff looking thinner due to the futher distance of the virtual eyepoint, or thicker when closer. Also a good illustration at how much more room the 51 pilots had compered to the 109.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 04:25:18 PM by Waffle »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2005, 05:50:25 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS

You can easily see that the pilot in the 51 would be farther back from the front winsheild than the 109 pilot....

Eh? The windshield begins from the bend. In your lower pic they are about 4-5 pixels apart at the top of the windshield. Certainly the bottom of the p-51 windshield goes further away, since it is in a more shallow angle. Still that is no explanation to the viewed difference from inside. The p-51 windshield frames just happen to be modeled transparent from inside in AH2.

Sorry, but IMHO, your pics give no reasonable grounds for the huge difference in the windshield frame width between AH2 p-51D and the 109:s.

btw. both of my screenshots were taken from as far back in the cockpit as possible.

One result from that roomier cockpit of the p51 was that pilots feet were lower than in 109.. which also meant that, AFAIK, the 109 pilots could pull some more G:s before the blood rushed to their feet than the p-51 pilots... that is without a G-suit.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »
I aligned the back of the pilots seat from the 109 on the p-51. Look at where the rails start for the 109 (green lines over the 51)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2005, 07:03:25 PM »
Oh wow, I never noticed that the front windshield view is actually wider than the top windshield view.  

Hitech can this feature be modified in our 109s?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2005, 04:58:01 AM »
Grunhertz,
it IS NOT wider, it only appears so from inside because of the thick glass. From outside they are equally wide. Still, IMHO, it should be tried to be modeled the way it appears. The solution I offered in the drawing above could do the trick.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2005, 05:06:29 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
I aligned the back of the pilots seat from the 109 on the p-51. Look at where the rails start for the 109 (green lines over the 51)

Waffle,
The bends where the windshields start or end (at the top) are very closely at same distance. The bottom parts have more distance between them, but STILL this does not explain the difference in thickness. The fact remains that those p-51 frames are not visible from inside in the game.

But what the heck.. let them be like that, I dont care. It is up to the pony fans to ask for more "realistic" frames if they want such... most likely they prefer the transparent ones ;)
I would only wish to have the same method applied to add little more visibility to 109 windshields.

Offline Mime

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2005, 05:51:29 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Waffle,

I would only wish to have the same method applied to add little more visibility to 109 windshields.

I would, too.  Front view in 109 is really overdone and needs to be fixed.

Offline Nosara

• Copper Member
horizon
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 10:20:22 AM »
Get rid of the sky blue,cessna 150 attitude indicator. Its not correct,it was not there 60 odd years ago. The artificial horizon was black with white painted inserts.