Author Topic: Cheap joysticks  (Read 877 times)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Cheap joysticks
« on: November 30, 2005, 06:21:35 PM »
I'm working on getting into AH again, and among my needs is a working joystick (my old Logitech is too far gone and never was terribly reliable anyway).  I haven't paid the slightest bit of attention to joysticks for several years, so I'm highly out of date.  I see lots of discussion about $100 dollar rudder pedals, $300 dollar HOTAS setups, and stuff like that.  Those things are nice, but they don't help me. I would like some opinions on cheap joysticks.  I'd be willing to go up to the $60-$70 dollar range, but prefer under $45 or so.  USB or gameport makes no difference to me.

What I want in a stick:  

Reliable.  This is the only real "requirement".  If it's going to break in half or have more spikes than an Arizona cactus after a week, I don't want it.  A $10 stick should last at least 2 or 3 months, while I would hope to get at least a year of good service out of something which costs over $50.  I'd be more than happy to use a 2-button stick if it's actually reliable.  

What I don't want:

HOTAS.  I hate those things.

Things that would be nice but aren't required:

Heavy pull--the heavier, the better
Some sort of rudder control like a twisty stick (only desireable if reliable; the Z-axis of my Logitech stick only worked adequately for about a week)
4-6 buttons
Heavy base so I don't have to tape it to the desk

Things which are irrevelant (meaning if these individual parts are junk or break easily, that's fine because I don't use them anyway):

Throttle slider
Hat switch

I appreciate any feedback.  If you think you have an idea of the sort of stick that fits my preferences, please share your opinion.

J_A_B

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 07:18:47 PM »
Saitek Cyborg Evo

It's USB twisty stick, hat switch and 8 buttons

Has everything you're asking for at $35.

My old stick was a Logitech and I wouldn't wish one of those on a Knight!

Got mine at Mediaplay and I like it.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 07:04:25 AM »
Spend the extra $$ for the replacement policy. 1/3'd of Evos are in the trash within 3 months; 2/3's in 6 months.

Dmdmax

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »
evo's are great, mine bust, but it was my fault, i soaked it in water by mistake and the chip shorted out. then i got an x52, which is the shiz!

had my evo for a while, and it had nothing wrong with it. im sure you'll find it well worth the money

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »
or Saitek ST290 for more like 26$

fairly good spring to give a little pull, twisty rudder, 6 buttons & hat all reachable by thumb, throttle on base, & REVERSABLE HAND REST for lefties. 3 months no probs so far

Offline Bong55th

• Zinc Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:43:01 PM »
I have a Saitek Cyborg evo  twisty , throttle , nice pull and at 30$ had it for about a  year

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 09:53:22 PM »
Saitek X45. Not high priced.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:06:16 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop
Saitek X45. Not high priced.

But unreliable with the smallest of USB power issues. My power supply was just starting to lose it's girth and I ended up killing 7 X45s in six months. Poor Best Buy.

I have an Evo Wireless; the wireless part sucks, but the stick itself is in great shape still. It has a wide but light base; it won't rock if set on a desk. I keep mine in my lap.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 07:31:21 AM »
I also use the Saitek Cyborg EVO, and have had it for almost a year now.  The spring is strating to get a little weak, but over all I have been very happy with it.  I am getting ready to go up to the X45 or 52..... I would check out Saitek's web site.  You can get floor model/demo units for almost half price.   I dont have the site addy in front of me, but do a search for Saitek USA....
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:27:22 PM »
Thrustmaster Topgun Afterburner II

Been using mine since 2002, still goin strong. Has enough buttons for all my needs, option of twisty stick or rudder rocker thingy on throttle (I don't know how anyone can use that thing). Never makes my hands hurt or anything... quite comfortable, even for a big hand. :aok :aok

Read hte bottom of your post... you can make it pretty tight. 7 buttons not including trigger, never slides around on me.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:29:33 PM by wetrat »
Army of Muppets

Offline maxxius

• Nickel Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 08:21:58 AM »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 01:06:53 PM »
FYI there are still a lot of Sidewinders for sale on Ebay.

Was even an orginial Sidewinder 3d pro new in box for very reasonable.

Just read it VERY carefully, some of those sidewinders don't have rudder.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 05:54:07 PM »
My cyborg EVO is in need of replacement just now. I've had it a little over a year. That's not bad for the price I guess. I liked the 3D gold better.

May step up to CH this time...

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »
Originally posted by Blooz
Saitek Cyborg Evo

It's USB twisty stick, hat switch and 8 buttons

Has everything you're asking for at $35.

My old stick was a Logitech and I wouldn't wish one of those on a Knight!

Got mine at Mediaplay and I like it.

:aok
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Cheap joysticks
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 07:18:09 PM »
I've got a brand spankin new in box Saitek X45.  Picked it up at Best Buy during a sale since I thought I'd lost my replacement warranty paperwork for one that went bad.  Found the paperwork and exchanged it.

$50 sound good?  I have no idea what it'll cost to ship it.