Author Topic: 4 inches of white stuff last night  (Read 747 times)

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
4 inches of white stuff last night
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »
SHoot,   here in NC inthe mountians/foothills they threaten that it might snow!....................and every thing shuts down...even if it doesnt!

Im from Michigan ,..... it had to be at least 8 " before we thought about it closing stuff.
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 02:45:39 PM »
I Still prefer the Portland system for snow.

the occasional exception aside, we prefer the more civilized system of keeping our snow on a nearby mountain and visiting it when our schedule permits.
  much preferred over dumping it all over town and then heading out on the road with a couple hundred thousand people who can barely drive on dry pavement.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 03:09:19 PM »
I'm walking around in a t-shirt & shorts.

What's it like to be cold?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 03:56:04 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
I'm walking around in a t-shirt & shorts.

What's it like to be cold?

I'm walking around nice and warm, if I get too warm, I take off a layer. Whats it like to be hot? ;)

This week-end will be>>>>

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 03:59:04 PM »
Originally posted by StSanta
You have wayyy too much money Rip.

Living the American dream eh? :).

We're (my freefly team) going to the US this summer (Perris). Too bad you're kinda far from there. Wouldda love ta get drunk in your house and build a bonfire inside :D

You're welcome under my roof anytime StSanta. We *do* have a huge firepit but I'm sorry to say its outside :)

Incidently, this is Middle Class America. I can only wish I was rich but I have the richness of a very fine family.

You can stay in the guest house, the upstairs of my little tool shed out back :D

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 04:07:24 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
I have still never been snowed on. Been to the snow but never when Snowing.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 05:12:44 PM »
I will be recieving about another 2 feet tonight. Makes grand total for my house about 5 feet. This is only our 2nd snowfall this season.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 05:40:24 PM »
No snow in Tucson either. I was out riding the motorcycle today in shirtsleeve weather. It got up to 77 today.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 05:43:58 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
"pulls out small straw"

heheh
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 05:47:21 PM »
Snow... whats that?
The white thing which has hardly covered the ground this winter?

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2005, 05:56:02 PM »
4 inches closes schools?

Well....with this day and age of lawyers suing anyone and anything, I suppose that sounds right.  Back when I was going to school, it had to be one helluva storm to force a snow day.  These days, any hit of sleet,freezing rain or, gasp, flurries will do it.  And of course the kids love it...up until they realize they wont be out of school until close to July!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2005, 06:46:01 PM »
It is now has my permission to snow here as I FINALLY managed to get my last exterior job done for the year. (Damn Jewish holidays screwed up everything on me)

Nick of time too as we may be getting some this weekend. though unfortuately its not supposed to be alot IF we get it at all.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 06:55:34 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
"pulls out small straw"

I'm going to Rip's house dude.

;)

So its small and snipped?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2005, 07:11:48 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
4 inches closes schools?

Well....with this day and age of lawyers suing anyone and anything, I suppose that sounds right.  Back when I was going to school, it had to be one helluva storm to force a snow day.  These days, any hit of sleet,freezing rain or, gasp, flurries will do it.  And of course the kids love it...up until they realize they wont be out of school until close to July!

a lot of it has to do with the area.

when I lived in the mid-west it took quite a bit to close the schools and gov't offices.

here in Portland everything shuts down if just a couple inches hits the valley floor.  it's nothing to do with lawyers or insurance.  we just don't get snow with enough regularity to make it worth the gov't owning or maintaining enough snow removal equipment to get the roads drivable very quickly.

plus most Portlanders can't drive worth a damn in the snow.  I get around fine in the snow but stay off the roads to avoid being a target.

the last major snow storm (a couple years back, maybe 6 inches, people were acting like it was a blizzard) a news crew set up a camera at an intersection down the street.  

new neighborhood, 500k+ houses, all new winding street carved up the side of the hill.  it was fluff'n beautiful.  one soccer mom after another in her brand new SUV comes sliding down this hill to slam into the pile of cars already there.

no chains, no studs, no snow tires "it was in 4WD. I don't know what went wrong with this thing."

I'm not talking a couple cars.  the 'soccer mom slalom' went on for hours, until the city could get a crew there to put up barricades and a sign to warn that the steep hill that is covered in ice and snow should be avoided by those without proper traction devices.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm walking around nice and warm, if I get too warm, I take off a layer. Whats it like to be hot? ;)

Gets old quick :) I'm down to my only layer of shorts & a wifebeater. Some people think it's chilly right now, but they wear flipflops. Since you lose most of your body heat through your feet, and I never go without socks & shoes, I'm all good. Definately does suck in the summer though. I'll start sweating just heading to the mailbox... and I've got virtually zero body fat. I kinda feel sorry for the heavy people when we start hitting heat indexes of 110+.