Author Topic: 4 inches of white stuff last night  (Read 832 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
4 inches of white stuff last night
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 07:36:17 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
4 inches closes schools?

Well....with this day and age of lawyers suing anyone and anything, I suppose that sounds right.  Back when I was going to school, it had to be one helluva storm to force a snow day.  These days, any hit of sleet,freezing rain or, gasp, flurries will do it.  And of course the kids love it...up until they realize they wont be out of school until close to July!

thats about the size of it here.

We get a light dusting and ther is a delayed opening. No more then an inch or two will close the schools.

I hear it has more to do with the buss Companies not willing to drive the kids then the school system willing to open the schools.
And people that work for the buss companies tell me its the insurance companies.

Probably has more to do with the Buss companies bottom line then and not wanting insurance ot go up due to an accident anything.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 07:39:08 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Gets old quick :) I'm down to my only layer of shorts & a wifebeater. Some people think it's chilly right now, but they wear flipflops. Since you lose most of your body heat through your feet, and I never go without socks & shoes, I'm all good. Definately does suck in the summer though. I'll start sweating just heading to the mailbox... and I've got virtually zero body fat. I kinda feel sorry for the heavy people when we start hitting heat indexes of 110+.

Just out of curiosity, were you born in a warm-weather climate? I'm curious in a psychology point of view. Personally, I really enjoy 4 seasons, but not extreme seasons like Minnesota where I was raised....we moved to Florida during a transition to N.J. back when I was 12. I loved Florida for about 4 months, then I got tired of a solid season of it after one year.

I see alot of Californians that move to the pacific Northwest and after a couple of season become pretty depressed, particularly in the winter, some eventually move home because they miss the mild climate.

I'm a true believer that your environment as a child shapes what you tolerate in your habitat when you become an adult. Sure, there are exceptions,  but, if given a choice,  I think we tend to acclimate ourselves to what were were raised with.  We don't have the extreme cold winters that Minnesota had here in Wa State, and I do NOT miss that at all, I love the rain because I don't have to shovel it...but I love the turning of the leaves, the chill in the air in fall... the "Deadness" of everything except pines in the winter, and the "Rebirth" that occurs in spring.  We get one or two snowfalls here in the Northwest in the lower elevations, then its gone a day or two later in most cases. The beauty of it all is if you want snow for a full season, its 1 hour away in the Cascade mountains where the ski resort are.  Otherwise its just rainy here in the foothills. Alot like England in the winter.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 07:46:05 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2005, 07:41:31 PM »
SE Pennsylvania is the best.  They even accidentally say the word "Snow" on a news report, and everyone and their mother stocks their houses so full of food you'd think that it was the blizzard of the millenium coming.

Happened everysingle time.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:54 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
thats about the size of it here.

We get a light dusting and ther is a delayed opening. No more then an inch or two will close the schools.

I hear it has more to do with the buss Companies not willing to drive the kids then the school system willing to open the schools.
And people that work for the buss companies tell me its the insurance companies.

Probably has more to do with the Buss companies bottom line then and not wanting insurance ot go up due to an accident anything.

N.J. is pretty hilly too. Midwest is flat as a pancake, and prepared. States with hilly streets and predictable wet winters are not as prepared. I lived in Greenbrook for 2 years, Watchung hills.  1" of snow and they'd shut down everything.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2005, 07:54:58 PM »
Another thing about getting snow here in the valley is that it generally never gets all that cold, so as the temp goes up and down, you invariably get a good amount of ice during the downswing.  Plus, the dept of transportation won't use salt.  They instead dump tons of pea-sized gravel all over the roads and highways...I'm guessing the gravel is supplied gratis from the local automotive glass shops.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2005, 07:58:50 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Just out of curiosity, were you born in a warm-weather climate? I'm curious in a psychology point of view. Personally, I really enjoy 4 seasons, but not extreme seasons like Minnesota where I was raised....we moved to Florida during a transition to N.J. back when I was 12. I loved Florida for about 4 months, then I got tired of a solid season of it after one year.

I see alot of Californians that move to the pacific Northwest and after a couple of season become pretty depressed, particularly in the winter, some eventually move home because they miss the mild climate.

I'm a true believer that your environment as a child shapes what you tolerate in your habitat when you become an adult. Sure, there are exceptions,  but, if given a choice,  I think we tend to acclimate ourselves to what were were raised with.  We don't have the extreme cold winters that Minnesota had here in Wa State, and I do NOT miss that at all, I love the rain because I don't have to shovel it...but I love the turning of the leaves, the chill in the air in fall... the "Deadness" of everything except pines in the winter, and the "Rebirth" that occurs in spring.  We get one or two snowfalls here in the Northwest in the lower elevations, then its gone a day or two later in most cases. The beauty of it all is if you want snow for a full season, its 1 hour away in the Cascade mountains where the ski resort are.  Otherwise its just rainy here in the foothills. Alot like England in the winter.

I hate Cali weather, 4 months of hot 2 months of really hot 4 months of medium and 2 months of semi cold and maybe rain.

I love WA weather, I love rain, like colder weather then hot.

Only think good about Cali weather is you can hit jeep trails for most of the year. ;)

6 months of never seeing a cloud depresses me.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2005, 08:01:13 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
N.J. is pretty hilly too. Midwest is flat as a pancake, and prepared. States with hilly streets and predictable wet winters are not as prepared. I lived in Greenbrook for 2 years, Watchung hills.  1" of snow and they'd shut down everything.

LOL we have a bit of everything here depending on what part of the state your in you can find areas flat as a pancake  or as hilly as West Va. and everything inbeween
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2005, 08:07:41 PM »
One thing about the climate I can say is this is the first year i a long time I can remember having a real spring and a real fall.

Typically springlike or fall like weather lasts about a week and a half then its on to either swealtering humidity or gray and freezing

This year Spring lasted about two months of gradually warming weather and fall gradually cooling.

Nice for a change.
Hope we get ALOT of Snow.
I hate winter without snow.
Snow at least looks nice and is winterlike.
but for it to be just bitter cold and gray all the time Yuck I hate that
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2005, 08:09:45 PM »
Dusted us up for about an inch on the way to your place rip.
great shot of your boy on the jump.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2005, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks Pongo. Heres the other warming up to a snowman he and I built:
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL767/2726312/8668097/120659761.jpg

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2005, 01:40:17 AM »
Hah Rip, yer "guesthouse" looks a lot more well maintained and comfortable than my former apartment.

Ya take yer lowlives, then ya remove the goodness that's left, then ya let what remains control a building with small rooms about 18 square meters each. On the plus side, there was always an ample flow of people, drugs and weapons :aok.

My new apartment is a nice one, which I am sad to say probably is a notch up from your tool shed. It even has warm water and I haven't been held at knife point or burglarized a single time yet.

Must say that your house is evidence that Americans have more purchasing power in general than just about any nation. Looks pretty upscale, your house.

Who knows, might drop by. Maybe my boss finally agrees with my whines about "overtime should be compensated". That'd easily make a few flights across the US affordable :D.

Since you decline the indoor bonfire party, I've opted for a hi octane outside BBQ/mass destruction at the outside facility. You DO have matches in the US, right?

Thanks for offer Rip, it's sincerely appreciated.

Offline SASMOX

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2005, 01:49:54 AM »
Virrat, Finland 12-01-2005

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2005, 02:13:55 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Nice pics Rip. The first pic looks like a postcard. Very cool.

Yeah, I was gonna say that, but the pink pickup gotta go ;)
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2005, 02:58:55 AM »
Nice place you have there Rip. Your kids looks like the kind that can give you gray hairs... if you had any. :p

I love snow, but the ammount you have there is more or less perfect, maybe just a couple of inches more would be just right. We only have a thin coat atm, but there is supposed to be abit more today and tomorrow.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2005, 04:40:39 AM »
CAV58 - hell,

They used to cancel school if there was a chance of snow - I remember atleast 5 occasions growing up when that happened and the day of the 'snow' it was sunny and 50 * outside.

My town consisted of a bunch of ******* in 4WD who couldn't drive.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$