Author Topic: The Greatful Dead  (Read 606 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »
I guess I learned enough piano, trombone, drums, guitar and bass by the age of 11 to consider myself a musician.  As such I never could understand why anyone would be attracted to the dead.  But, as I have reached middle age, and finally seen enough documentry footage to seriosuly analyze the band (Garcia had died before I started to catch on), I have got to say that I am developing a sort of fondness for their rather unique blend of....whatever the hell it is.

Plus some of the most varied and interesting people I have met along the way love the dead.

Its just an interesting topic rolex, draws out fresh conversation to replace some of  the increasingly repetative political threads.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

storch

The Greatful Dead
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 01:54:13 PM »
I'm sure you mean the grateful dead, right?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 03:01:35 PM »
sure :cry
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
I heard they were pretty good.
<----------------------------------------------------

IIRC the Dead made more money touring in the 80's and 90's than any other band in the world. I know guitar players who call Garcia "one lick". You just gotta shrug and say "yea, but it was a good one".

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2005, 07:37:47 PM »
They also encouraged fans to tape their conferences and even set up roped aside taping areas in the 'sweet spot'.  

I suspect the RIAA had Jerry killed.

Good guys, too bad Koons (Jerry's last wife) and Lesh have gone nutty the last couple weeks.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 07:48:55 PM »
BTW.. my favorite Dead concert (I saw more than a few)... was in Spartan Stadium in San Jose, CA. I was there with a date who happened to be a very good looking blonde. We sat in the stands and away from the crowd at first, then this large group starts filing in all around us. They were all Hells Angels. We were surrounded, but they turned out to be incredibly fun and friendly.

"we gotta share what we got of yours, cause we done shared all of mine"

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »
My favorites were the New Years Eve shows.  I had staff passes, and the backstage scene was fantastic, but not the way most people imagine.  In the 80s and 90s, it was a clean, family friendly scene that added to the concerts.  You could go and watch the spinners in the hallways, then spend time on the floor dancing, then go backstage for a few minutes of video games and soda.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 10:22:12 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Not intending to sound sarcastic but all musicians I've met or been around usually share the common thread of having an almost weird appreciation to all music. No matter how terrible it sounds to the rest of us.

Well I guess you can't say that anymore.  Everyone has different tastes and appreciate diffent things.  I've often thought that people who say "I like all kinds of music" either don't truly understand music (think it's pleasant noise) or are full of it.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 01:36:15 AM »
"Its just an interesting topic rolex, draws out fresh conversation to replace some of the increasingly repetative political threads."

And I accept that and agree about something fresh here, Yeager. I guess I'm just sounding more and more like my father when he would gripe about the loss of dignified, cordial conversation. Nothing personal, Yeager.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 01:59:01 AM »
Originally posted by Skilless
Well I guess you can't say that anymore.  Everyone has different tastes and appreciate diffent things.  I've often thought that people who say "I like all kinds of music" either don't truly understand music (think it's pleasant noise) or are full of it.

Not knowing exactly who you are I dont know if I can or cant.

Growing up music and musical people were always around me.
Actually my sister and I are the first in my family not doing something musical dating back to the 1800's. Though from the looks of it my daughter might pick up.
As such I have learned an appreciation for all kinds of music, from classical to heavy metal.
My father actually played with Stan Kenton for a while before he got married and the two became pretty good friends and he would visit. or us visit him from time to time. or would get together and go out for dinner. Through the years of my youth I got to meet all sorts of people. most of whom I have long since forgotten the names of.
Later on I by chance happened to meet...once Springsteen in a bar. Though I didnt realise who it was at first.
And a couple members of "Southside Johnny and the Asbury jukes" also. by chance in a bar.

In any event. the one thing that struck me was they seemed to appreciate all forms of music.
As one told me
"True musicians usually do, just like true artists can see the art in all forms f art" or somethign to that effect
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline weaselsan

• Silver Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 02:56:28 PM »
I think all of the Grateful Dead are ...Dead. Most of the Deadheads are either dead or dying. A friend of mine had all their albums...but he died.
He left them to me in his will...but I won't touch them.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 04:09:01 PM »
DREDIOCK

It's very easy for someone to say they like all kinds of music.  When I first met the bass player in my band he told me he liked all kinds of music.  In the three years that we've been playing together I have discovered that he hates Springsteen, Tom Petty, John Mellencamp, Primus, Metallica, Radiohead, REM, Pearl Jam, almost all country... ect.  He is, however, very good at what he does.

On the other hand, I have had the opportunity to meet musicians-or in this case, people who make pleasant noise with instruments-who not knowing (because of a lack of focus) where their true strengths lie, try to be everything to everyone and therefore end up being nothing to anyone.  One band in particular tried for over two years to get a following and be successful on a local basis.  They got requests for country so they learned country.  They got requests for classic rock so they learned more classic rock.  They got requests for blues so they learned blues... ect.  The main thing they accomplished was to confuse their audience.  They were left with people like themselves who thought music was just pleasant noise.  The country people would leave when they started playing rock, the rock people would leave when they started playing country.  The blues people would complain about having to wait all night to hear the few blues tunes they did.  In the end they failed because they refused to find one thing and do it well.  When you do one thing and do it well, the audience will find you.

When thinking in terms of types of music, what isle do you find yourself hanging out in at the record store?  For me, you won't find me in the country isle too much, although I appreciate a lot of country artists-Mindy Smith and Emmy Lou Harris for shear talent, Garth Brookes and Shania Twain for being such successful media potatos that I have to respect them-my main problem with country music is Nashville’s total tin-pan-alley approach to the music business these days; staff writers churning out hit after hit for professional studio musicians to play for the next pretty face of the week to stand in front of.  Modern Country music is no different than the pop that the west coast labels churn out to the lemmings that lap it up like candy.

One thing I can tell you about musicians is that is considered bad form to criticize other musicians to laymen.  On one hand we’re all out there trying to earn a living and we don’t want to influence an audience members opinion of a peer, therefore I would never be critical of a fellow musician-even another band.  By the same token, if you came up to me at a gig and said, “Man, I just love the Dead.  Why don’t you guys play some Grateful dead?”  I would never tell you that I don’t like them.  My job (literally), when I’m not playing, is to engage you in pleasant conversation, make you feel like your input is appreciated, get you to buy another beer, and stay a little longer, so why on earth would I criticize your hero?  What I would do is give you a clever antidote like “You know, I was always amazed at how well Gerry Garcia Played missing a finger”, and go on to tell you that we just couldn’t do their music justice or say something to the effect of, “Most these people here aren’t as smart as you and me and they just wouldn’t get it.  My job’s to sell beer you know!”  One guy that has been following us around for a couple of years keeps telling me we need to learn some Jethro Tull.  We’re not that kind of a band, but he doesn’t understand that.  I tell him, “You bring the flute and we’ll play Tull”.  One of these days he’s going to show up with a flute.  In private, however, musicians can be the most catty, backstabbing people on earth.

To say that you appreciate all music is one thing.  To say you appreciate all music equally is absurd.  That’s like a Beatles fan saying they equally appreciate the wailing of Yoko Ono.  It’s all music right?  Just because I say I don’t “get” the Grateful Dead doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate them.  They were one of the most successful touring bands of all time.  They toured for like 25 years straight!  They earned everything they got.  Maybe (as I’ve been told a thousand times) if I’d seen them live I’d have more respect for them.  I didn’t.  Their studio recordings, aside from a few like “Casey Jones” and “Truckin’” were loose, rambling, and unfocused.  However, they had a huge fan base and my opinion is humble.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 06:22:17 PM »
I didnt say like. I said appreciate.

I dont like opera.
But I can appreciate it
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 09:01:11 PM »
they suck

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
The Greatful Dead
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »
5- Flamebaiting, trolling, or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 11:21:31 PM by MP4 »