Author Topic: Airforce Pride  (Read 626 times)

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
Airforce Pride
« on: December 03, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
What happened to "don't ask don't tell?":rofl
http://www.wimp.com/airforce/

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »
Thats just wrong dude, but what can you expect with the kids that are out there now? If I was the line chief I would have that guy in my office for a little chat about proper marshaling signals.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 12:44:52 AM »
You guys are too funny. Those "kids" are what keeps those planes flying on a daily basis. They are the same ones working 12+ hour shifts while the folks who cry about how unprofessional they are sit in a comfy chair in an office somewhere.

You must not really have a clue about how close a real squadron can be.
Nobody really gives a watermelon about outsiders crying about stuff like this. The maintainers and aircrews on the F-15 are a tight nit group. They always have been and they always will be.

Hopefully there are more of airmen like this than there are of the uptight arses in the "line chief" slots.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:43:06 AM »
Actually I'm an insider. Been in the military since 1989. Seen combat in Desert Storm, been halfway around the world, and in my current job I have to deal with these kids everyday. You are right, that what they do is amazing considering their age and the hours they work, but a little professionalism goes a long way also. I'm not some uptight supervisior. I get along with all my guys and like to have a good time as much as anyone. The one time I don't joke around is when the job has to get done. That guys actions were inappropriate on the flight line, while marshaling aircraft. If you are not professional enough to recognize that then I guess I would have to lump you in with the kids that think it's all a big joke.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 06:47:30 AM »
That is in direct violation of the USAF strict code of nerdy squareness!

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:57:35 AM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
The one time I don't joke around is when the job has to get done.  

Damn Straight.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 08:19:56 AM »
When I was on the FL I would see crews joking with pilots all the time. Not something unusual.

Hell the pilots did more wrong than the crews. I remember being outside a pump house when a C-5 came past and the pilot saw I was close to the taxiway and he gunned the engine. My but rolled for at least 20 yrds and when I got up I saw the pilot with his head out the window laughing his butt off.

I didn't think anything other than that it was funny as hell.

Even on a hotpit where you had to be extra careful pilots would send an unsuspecting crew chief rolling if they could.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:21:57 AM by Mighty1 »
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:38:36 AM »
Mighty. A pilot with wit like that could find the outside faired end of his relief tube turned 180 degrees as well. That could be a real knee slapper!
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 08:41:52 AM »
I'm not some uptight supervisior. I get along with all my guys and like to have a good time as much as anyone. The one time I don't joke around is when the job has to get done. That guys actions were inappropriate on the flight line, while marshaling aircraft. If you are not professional enough to recognize that then I guess I would have to lump you in with the kids that think it's all a big joke.

Bah, looks to me like he was just goofing around and blowing off  little steam.

Is it possible he knew the pilot fairly well and was just goofing on him?

There mere fact he was being filmed from that looks like the cockpit doing this would indicate so. At least in my mind.

I'd be willing to bet that 99.999 times out of 100 he goes about doing it in the proper way.
And when the watermelon is on the line. Such as a combat flight. He is probably deadly serious about his job 100% of the time.
And as far as I could see. The job did get done.

What I am seeing here is in indicator of a high morale leval. Which is every bit as important and sometimes moreso then pure professionalism.

Personally given the jobs of these guys I'd rather see them  goofing around a bit and having fun with their jobs *on occasion* then being miserable and just going through the  motions.

Unless this guy made a habit of doing this all the time I'd cut him some slack on this one. Or pretend I didnt see it.

There are times when comming down on someone in the name of professionalism can be more detrimental then meaningful.

IF something "had" to be said. I would say to him. Ok that was pretty funny that time. Just dont make a habit of it."

This creates a  win/win situation between the supervisor and the worker while still getting the point across
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 09:01:35 AM »
Somebody was filming from the cockpit. It was obviously setup.

Ya, some of you guys need to get a sense of humor. Really. You think thats the harshest sort of thing that service folks do? don't be naive.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 09:02:14 AM »
Heh, the way that guy was signalling you would think he was Navy
:D Seems to me the signals were good enough that the pilot understood the commands and was able to pull out without hitting anything.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Airforce Pride
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:55:07 AM »
Actually I'm an insider. Been in the military since 1989. Seen combat in Desert Storm, been halfway around the world, and in my current job I have to deal with these kids everyday. You are right, that what they do is amazing considering their age and the hours they work, but a little professionalism goes a long way also. I'm not some uptight supervisior. I get along with all my guys and like to have a good time as much as anyone.

I don't believe I've ever met an uptight supervisor that knew he was an uptight supervisor.

Judging by your screenname I will guess you are a Navy guy.  Thank you for your service.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Airforce Pride
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 12:18:28 PM »
so what happened?  Can't see it.. blocked.

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
Airforce Pride
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
Originally posted by Tumor
so what happened?  Can't see it.. blocked.

Tumor

Right-click the "Download" button under the video window and play it on your media player.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
Airforce Pride
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:46:07 PM »
Actually ex Army now in the Coast Guard. Grew up as an Air Force bratt. Dad was a C-5 Galaxy Flight Engineer.

I also have a good relationship with the guys that work for me. We hang out after work and such (Monday night football at the local bar, BBQ's at everyones house's, birthday parties for everyones kids). We have a good time at work also when we are just hanging out in the shop. They also know that when it's time to get a job done, I want it done right and thats not the time to be screwing around.

I've been in or around the military my entire life (34 years) and there is a time and place for everything. While in uniform, that is when you need to have your game face on and be professional in everything you do. Thats my personal opinion and I know some will disagree with it. Thats fine. I mearly commented that if that guy worked for me I would be having a chat with him. I actually thought it was pretty funny, but like I said, not real professional. Hell I've had my guys do stuff like that before and I laughed my prettythang off at them. I also asked them to never do it again when other people outside our shop could see it. I get e-mails and feedback reports from all sorts of units that we support, and 99% of them always comment on how squared away my guys are when they come onboard to do work. That reflects directly on everyone who works here as a group. Makes my job real easy when it comes time to do evals for my guys. They always get high marks, because they do a great job.