Author Topic: DeLay  (Read 450 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« on: December 05, 2005, 04:28:26 PM »
The news out of Texas, DeLay's conspriacy charges were thrown out, but AP reported it like this:

DeLay's Money Laundering Charges Upheld
AP - 4 minutes ago
AUSTIN, Texas - A judge dismissed the conspiracy charges Monday against Rep. Tom DeLay but refused to throw out the money-laundering counts, dashing the Texas congressman's hopes for now of reclaiming his post as House majority leader.

Intresting slant on the headline....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
DeLay
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »
I'm not surprised by the slant...

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 04:40:43 PM »
It's just one of the more obvious examples I've seen recently.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
DeLay
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 04:41:28 PM »
Wishful thinking reporting?  I think Dan Rather is a ghost writer....

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 04:51:47 PM »
The conspiracy charges have been dropped. Remember, these were the charges based on a law enacted after the alleged incident. Judge Pat Priest has ruled that a trial will go forward on the Money Laundering charges... the very charges that were absent in the first, flawed indictment handed up by a grand jury that reviewed the case for 6 months, and were later obtained by another grand jury after just hours of presentation.
Looks like another case crumbling at Ronnie Earle's feet.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
DeLay
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 05:36:01 PM »
Here's the latest Yahoo! headline-

DeLay's Money Laundering Charges Upheld

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051205/ap_on_go_co/delay_7;_ylt=Ane6e5mJ1SlZhFfvc2ByuXCGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
DeLay
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:08:31 PM »
Another crooked politician is getting off
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
DeLay
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:57:36 PM »
Yah, yer right Six. I doubt Ronnie Earle will ever be prosecuted for running this partisan witch hunt.
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 10:07:11 PM »
Delay is a good man.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: DeLay
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 01:21:17 PM »
This is funny, great troll mate.

Sakai
"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 04:47:25 PM »
I wonder...

Is "Money Laundering" worse than..say... "conspiracy" ?

Why yes.. yes it is!  I wonder why the headline would read like that?  Because it's the FREAKIN TRUTH.

Lets say a guy is charged with murder and Jaywalking. then the jaywalking charge is dropped. Would your headline be....

JAYWALKING CHARGE DROPPED

or

MURDER CHARGE UPHELD.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
DeLay
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 06:05:32 PM »
I can gar-un-tee the Lay man and his team are focusing on the money laundering charge right now.  Why shouldn't the media do the same?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:08:43 PM by ChickenHawk »
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
DeLay
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target

Lets say a guy is charged with murder and Jaywalking. then the jaywalking charge is dropped. Would your headline be....

or

MURDER CHARGE UPHELD.

The first one if he was a republican, the second if a democrat.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 06:15:21 PM »
I wonder...

Why yes.. yes it is!  I wonder why the headline would read like that?  Because it's the FREAKIN TRUTH.

or

MURDER CHARGE UPHELD.

Too simple.  

It would be like if they Jaywalking charge was made AFTER a jaywalking law was enacted and the occurance happened BEFORE said law was in fact law.

And to get an indictmen on Murder the prosecution would have had a grand jury investigation for 6 months....then after not liking what the grand jury had to say and after intimidating them didn't work....throw them out and getting a new grand jury to spend more time trying your best to get an indictment.  Also keeping in mind the aleged murderer still has not had his day in court to defend himself and the prosecuter having had a bone to pick with him from the begining.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
DeLay
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 07:28:17 PM »
I wonder...

or

MURDER CHARGE UPHELD.

MT:

DeLay was charged with (at least) 2 crimes and the judge ruled that one should be dropped.  Dropping the charge is action: Headline: Something Happened.  

What happened with the other charge? ... No change in status with the other charge.  Nada, zilch, nix, nothing happened, no action. Headline   Nothing Happened

I find it interesting that the news writer thought nothing was more important than something.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:30:18 PM by Holden McGroin »