Author Topic: Give us this Tiger Killer  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Klum25th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.75thrazgriz.bravehost.com
Give us this Tiger Killer
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2005, 04:48:32 PM »
I dont think we should remove the tiger. I think its just the hit armor thingy. With a T34 shooting a tiger from the back should desable the tank with maybe 1 or 2 shots. But i sit there wasting all my rounds and nothing. I think the panzer shells wont penatrate the back to. Thats 1 of the weakest parts on the tiger i think. Thats how the shermans won was great numbers and some of them getting on the tigers back and disabling it.

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »
krusty, the tiger's front armor is all but invincible. aim for the rear or the tracks. you will take it out without much trouble. if he cannot be flanked, call in for air support. a MOAB should take it out without much trouble.

in addition
if (and thats a huge "if") the tiger is removed it should be replaced by the Panther.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2005, 05:53:13 PM »
I kill tigers all the time with panzer's.  I just can't go head on with them like everyone does.  U just have to be patient and sneak up on them and get on there 6.  2 shots kills the tiger.  first shot kills there engine and sometimes the die.  2nd shot kills them.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 11:34:35 PM »
Why not this for a Tiger killer...US tank destroyer-M-36.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Gato

• Copper Member
      • http://catzman.blogspot.com
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2005, 02:38:54 PM »
Why not add the Centaur, a brit tank to the mix?  It's not a tank killers, but....
With a 95 mm howitzer, it could make things interesting.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005, 04:29:44 PM »
Originally posted by Gato
Why not add the Centaur, a brit tank to the mix?  It's not a tank killers, but....
With a 95 mm howitzer, it could make things interesting.

A howitzer is not the same as the main gun on a tank - even if it is as large as 95mm. A regular 75mm tank gun of longer caliber would probabily have more armor penetrating power. You wouldn't have the range or flat trajectory of a regular high velocity tank round by useing a howitzer - less chance of a first round hit.

If you did hit the target - You might "rattle them around" a bit inside and do some damage with a hit from a howitzer but it wouldn't take the tank out.

The Howitzer armed tank is better for blasting bunkers, pillboxes & targets holding the Infantry up.

:aok
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 04:33:10 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005, 04:49:28 PM »
Which was more lethal as an anti-armor gun the 88mm gun on the Tiger?  or the 76mm on the Panther?  I was under the impression that the 76mm on the Panther had a higher velocity and more killing power vs. armor despite the smaller diameter of the shell?
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 05:10:11 PM »
Originally posted by Soulyss
Which was more lethal as an anti-armor gun the 88mm gun on the Tiger?  or the 76mm on the Panther?  I was under the impression that the 76mm on the Panther had a higher velocity and more killing power vs. armor despite the smaller diameter of the shell?

NOTHING could beat the 88mm on the battlefield. It was probabily the best anti-armor gun of the war. There are reports from early war actions of 88's taking out tanks at extreme ranges with HE & AA rounds. Shells from the 88 would go clear through a Sherman (front to rear) - with the HVAR round & superior optics of German gunsights, they were even MORE deadly. Add that to the armor of the TIGER, KING TIGER or JAGDPANTHER (also used on it) and you had an almost unstoppable package.

The PANTHER's gun was the 75mm L/70 (not a 76mm) and was also used on the JAGDPANZER IV/L70. This was probabily the best 75mm tank gun of the war and was superior to the Soviet 85mm tank gun in range and penetrating power with the HVAR round.  

:aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005, 05:29:52 PM »
NOTHING could beat the 88mm on the battlefield. It was probabily the best anti-armor gun of the war.

The main gun on the PANTHER was a 75 mm Rheinmetall KwK 42 L/70 with 79 rounds supported by two MG 34 machine guns. 75 mm was not a particularly large calibre for the time. Nonetheless, the Panther's gun was one of the most powerful tank guns of WWII, due to the large propellant charge and the long barrel, which gave it a very high muzzle velocity. The flat trajectory also made hitting targets much easier, since aiming was less sensitive to range. The 75 mm gun actually had more penetrating power than the 88 mm gun of the Tiger I, although not of the Tiger II.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005, 06:28:58 PM »
jester, the king tiger didnt use the same gun as the regular tiger. the gun that was shoehorned into the king tiger was a magnum 88 as i understand it. i am quite shure it also had a longer barrel. and also, the main gun of the panther had better AT capacity than the 88 fitted into a tiger.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2005, 10:18:10 PM »
Originally posted by CAV
The main gun on the PANTHER was a 75 mm Rheinmetall KwK 42 L/70 with 79 rounds supported by two MG 34 machine guns. 75 mm was not a particularly large calibre for the time. Nonetheless, the Panther's gun was one of the most powerful tank guns of WWII, due to the large propellant charge and the long barrel, which gave it a very high muzzle velocity. The flat trajectory also made hitting targets much easier, since aiming was less sensitive to range. The 75 mm gun actually had more penetrating power than the 88 mm gun of the Tiger I, although not of the Tiger II.

CAV,
You can't figure it just by muzzle velocity alone - there are many factors such as range, accuracy and type of rounds used as outlined below:

In May 1941 the German general staff had demanded a new Kampfwagen Kanone (Tank Gun) specification for the TIGER; it had to be capable of penetrating 100 mm at about 1,500 meters and the improved Pzgr.39 could approach that. This is one of the two reasons why the 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 was retained as the main gun of the TIGER I, instead of the Rheinmetall 75 mm KwK 42 L/70 (Gun used on the PANTHER). The other reason was the fact that at that time, armor penetration was mainly a function of thickness to diameter (T/d) ratio. During World War II, the Armor Piercing (AP) round relied on its own weight (and a 88 mm KwK 36 L/56 gun APCBC shell weighed 10.2 Kilograms, as opposed by an 75 mm KwK 42 L/70 gun APCBC shell, which weighed 6.8 Kilograms) to penetrate the enemy's armor. Theoretically, the higher the muzzle velocity, the more penetration any kind of AP round would have, all other variables remaining constant. In real World War Two tank combat, however, other important variables intervened, such as the thickness to diameter (T/d) coefficient, which means that the higher the diameter of any given round relative to the thickness of the armor it is going to strike, the better the probability of achieving a penetration. Furthermore, if the diameter of the armor piercing round overmatches the thickness of the armor plate, the protection given by the inclination of the armor plate diminishes proportionally to the increase in the overmatch of the armor piercing round diameter or, in other words, to the increase in this T/d overmatch. So, when a Tiger hit a T-34, the 88 mm diameter of the Tiger's round overmatched the 45 mm glacis plate of the T-34 by so much that it made no difference that the Russian tank's glacis was inclined at an angle of 60 degrees from vertical.

(There is much more to this report but you get the idea.)

Originally posted by SMIDSY
jester, the king tiger didnt use the same gun as the regular tiger. the gun that was shoehorned into the king tiger was a magnum 88 as i understand it. i am quite shure it also had a longer barrel. and also, the main gun of the panther had better AT capacity than the 88 fitted into a tiger.

Yea, Smidsy,
I knew they were different guns, I was refering to the 88mm cannon family in "General" & the 88mm of the TIGER I in particular as that is the model of the Tiget Tank we have in the game. From the early Flak Gun models used for anti-tank work to the 88mm models built for the Tigers, Jagdpanthers, Elephants & Nashorns even though other guns may have been close or larger size or longer caliber than the German made 88's - NONE had their scheer killing power, range, very effective anti-tank rounds, optics & ease of handling in reloading all rolled into one package.

The German 88mm cannon family was pretty much "King of the Battlefield" in WW2 as far as anti-tank guns go.  :aok
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 10:33:30 PM by Jester »
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2005, 10:23:59 PM »
Originally posted by Jester
So, when a Tiger hit a T-34, the 88 mm diameter of the Tiger's round overmatched the 45 mm glacis plate of the T-34 by so much that it made no difference that the Russian tank's glacis was inclined at an angle of 60 degrees from vertical.

Sure seemed to make a difference in AH though.  I was  blasting the Tiger and T-34 off line using a Tiger and dang me, but that T-34 felt almost as tough.  I ricocheted multiple 88mm AP rounds off of it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Sure seemed to make a difference in AH though.  I was  blasting the Tiger and T-34 off line using a Tiger and dang me, but that T-34 felt almost as tough.  I ricocheted multiple 88mm AP rounds off of it.

That's because the armor damage model in AH is V - E - R - Y simplified to the point of being laughable. I have destroyed TIGERS by putting one to two shots into the spot just below their sides but above the road wheels at medium ranges with the PANZER IV. But have turned around and and at close range put 35 rounds(!!!) of AP into the dead six (weakest verticle armor on a Tiger) of an already damaged Tiger before he blew up. This is REALLY one of the major bugs in AH that needs looking into and redone.

As you stated in your quote above, I have a ton of books on German Panzer combats in WW2, there were obviously times when shells DID glance of the inclined plates of the T-34 but usually it took only one shot from the TIGER's 88 to just lift the turret right off them.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2005, 09:17:50 AM »
Not exactly a pure Tiger killer, but some tank destroyers would go a long way to spicing up the GV game. I'd imagine they'd be much easier to model also with the lack of a turret and simple, angular shapes. It would be a bit more difficult to fight in with the limited traverse, but that would justify a much lower perk cost on the big gun models.

Hetzer w/ 75mm PaK 39 L/48
Jagdpanzer IV with a 75mm L/70 gun
Argueably the best of breed, Jagdpanther w/ 88mm PaK 43 L/71. Decent armor, 46km/h road speed.

well.. I had neat pics, and all of a sudden the links are broke. gotta fix it laterl.