Author Topic: Getting Paid To Game all day  (Read 550 times)

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Getting Paid To Game all day
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:33:24 PM »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:40:01 PM »
WTF the loser won 100,000 bucks. I would go, get hammered and just keep dying until the other dude won.

This year Mr. Wendel has earned about $600,000 in licensing fees and another $231,000 in tournament winnings.

WTF is wrong with this world.:rolleyes:
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:51:57 PM »
That's nothing.  Julia Roberts gets $20M per movie.  There's an indication of the average population's taste and values.

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:50:42 PM »
Julia Roberts gets $20M per movie

Actors work very long hours for days at a time sometimes at remote locations.This is some kid from Kansas gettin paid to be a dweeb.

Maybe HT should start a contest like this,there is plenty of us to attend it,prize might not be that high but it's still something.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:37:11 PM »
Actors get paid to play pretend. They are over paid and over rated by far.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 09:05:37 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Actors get paid to play pretend. They are over paid and over rated by far.

No they are not. Most actors are waiters or largely working crap jobs or often umemplyed. The few that make big $$$$ do it because they bring in good revenue in the box office.  I'll be the first one to bash these people when they think their actor status makes thir opinions politically important but they do earen their money and take a huge risk doing what they  in trying to get to that highly paid status.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:56:49 AM »
Grun,

I have far more respect for a waiter than I do for an actor. The waiter does something useful. I don't have much respect for emtertainers at all. Some are good to watch perform but I sure as hell wouldn't think their work is worth more money than a mid level NCO in any of the services. Those NCO's work in far more challenging environments to boot.

AFAIC that goes for professional sports players as well. Way over rated and certainly gorossly overpaid for just playing a game.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:57:27 PM »
Way over rated and certainly gorossly overpaid for just playing a game.

You think it's that easy huh?I'll give you 50 try's at the plate,and i'll bet everything you dont hit 1 pitch the pitcher throws.Same  bet goes for Tennis,you wont return 1 ball that  Venus serves you.It's funny how someone can dog a professional sports players  for getting PAID.That skill
that they have takes years of practice to even get where they are.

These guys playin video games for cash prizes,i hate to say it but they prolly practiced alot as well.Or they are just button hitters.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 01:32:36 PM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
Actors work very long hours for days at a time sometimes at remote locations.This is some kid from Kansas gettin paid to be a dweeb.

Let's see, this kid is earning a very nice six-figure salary and most of us are not earning what he is.......

Exactly who is the dweeb in this equation?

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 01:42:10 PM »
Originally posted by AutoPilot
You think it's that easy huh?I'll give you 50 try's at the plate,and i'll bet everything you dont hit 1 pitch the pitcher throws.Same  bet goes for Tennis,you wont return 1 ball that  Venus serves you.It's funny how someone can dog a professional sports players  for getting PAID.That skill
that they have takes years of practice to even get where they are.

These guys playin video games for cash prizes,i hate to say it but they prolly practiced alot as well.Or they are just button hitters.

There's nothing wrong with getting paid, it's how much they are getting paid.  I agree with Mav on this one, some of the actors and pro sports peoples salaries are absolutly ridiculous.

I've worked hard for years and have practiced very hard too but I don't make anywhere near what they do.  Just because they happen to be on TV doesn't make them any better than any other hard working professional in this country IMHO.

Except for Shatner.  His recent performance on Boston Legal has been top notch ;)
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:09 PM »
Why does everyone on here feel it's there business how much anyone gets paid for services rendered?  The only time you have a legitamate gripe is when the company you have invested in or the company you work for does something like give it's CEO a multi-million dollar bonus for non-performance or if you co-workers are getting paid more for the same job that you do.  Other than that, supply and demand rules the day.  It's called capitalism folks-try it, you'll like it.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 02:17:52 PM »
Skilless,

Buy a ticket to a sporting event. Buy tickets for a family of 4 to just go watch a movie. That is incentive enough to be concerned how much people who produce nothing  get paid.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 02:27:07 PM »
High priced players bring in the crowds.

Buy tickets for a family of 4 to just go watch a movie.

Thats why there are Dollar theatre's.

Offline Skilless

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.4remnants.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Skilless,

Buy a ticket to a sporting event. Buy tickets for a family of 4 to just go watch a movie. That is incentive enough to be concerned how much people who produce nothing  get paid.

I stopped going to sporting events and movie theaters years ago:  Way too expensive.  Apparently many don't feel the same way.  As soon as the threshold is passed, where the majority no longer feels they are getting their money's worth, either these industries will perish or they will re-evaluate their price scale and pay scale-as I said, capitalism.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 02:48:05 PM »
Maverick,

Your error is in saying that they "produce nothing".  You're wrong.  They produce nothing of value to YOU PERSONALLY, but to millions of others, sports players are providing something of value, something worth paying for, and just as importantly, doing something with a level of proficiency and appeal that only an extremely small percentage of people are capable of.

That makes their skills a marketable commodity, and they'll get paid relative to what people will pay to see them play, just like a particularly nice brand of toilet paper will cost more because certain people like using premium toilet paper.  Just because YOU don't like premium toilet paper doesn't automatically mean that premium toilet paper should cost less...

If it's nice and not easily available or attainable, it's value will go up.  Skill in sports, acting, or as a surgeon, is not common so compensation for practicing or displaying those skills should reflect that.

Otherwise you're either jealous beyond your ability to apply logic, or you're a commie :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.