Author Topic: Pic of a Blue Angel making a vapor bubble  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
Pic of a Blue Angel making a vapor bubble
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2001, 12:29:00 AM »
The one and only time I saw the blue angels they did this really cool trick where most of em do some low aerobatic stuff over the field to grab your attention. Meanwhile 2 circle around behind the crowd low and unseen. Then they come screamin in from behind and just overhead. They had to be goin coose to mach 1, noone even knew they were there till they were right on top of us.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Well, Dnil, it's an impression from one of my friends who saw the Angels...

Knigts Su-27s are ordinary serial machines, with all weapon systems untouched, and they can simply loar missiles and cannon ammo and go to combat.

AFAIK Angels fly specialy "light" F-18s, with all equipment not nessesary for the aerobatics.

The picture is captioned "Hangover":

:)   :)   :)

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Boroda ]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
AFAIK Angels fly specialy "light" F-18s, with all equipment not nessesary for the aerobatics.

I'd have to see some proof of that.  I have a tendancy to think you may be talking out your bellybutton here.

The pylons from any aircraft come off.  The only things that wouldn't be used would be the wing pylon fuel pumps, attack radar and weapons systems.  And, as a rule, its more difficult to take those things out than it is to just leave them.

Besides, I've seen many an airshow where a generic F/A-18 put on a better show than the Blue-Angels.  An F/A-18 that is active duty from either a Marine base or a Canadian base.

The Blue-Angels and T-Birds are just painted pretty... with neet little smoke generators.  Anything outside of that and I'd have to ask you to go on more than just "a friend told me".

AKDejaVu

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
from what i know the f18s are initial low rate production models, basically early f18s.  Also the angels dont fly with g-suits, I dont know of any other teams that dont use the suits.  There is a great IMAX film of the angels, I am pretty sure it would change your mind boroda.  Do they have IMAX theaters in Russia?

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
Don't know what IMAX is  :(

Ok, Deja and Dnil, I'll try to find you some sources.  :)

Never thought about G-suits, have no idea if Knights use them and can't think about any reason why Angels don't.

Sorry, forgot to answer about flight hours per year. Last time it was discussed (maybe in mid-90s) they said - 40 hours.  :( The average age of a fighter pilot was 36... Last year most of the fighter airschools were closed, I wonder if there still is one. No more then one now, I'm sure  :( This process started in Gorbachev's "destroyka" times. I studied with the guys wrom dismissed fighter-schools, we had maybe a half-dozen who joined us on the second year in MSTU (Bauman's Rocket College), in 1990. They studied there for 2 yeras, finished lonely flights in Yak trainers and were already flying MiG-21s with instructors.

BTW, anyone coming to a Moscow Airshow in August?  ;)

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2001, 10:05:00 PM »
with my new job there might be travel to russia in the future, I will look ya up boroda, would love to see some of the aircraft museums there.

As for the g-suits, it doesnt look good for their pre-takeoff display so they just dont wear um.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2001, 11:01:00 PM »
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/faq.htm

Why don't the pilots wear G-suits?
G-suits are designed with air bladders (pockets) which inflate and deflate to keep a pilots' blood from pooling in the pilots' legs while executing sharp, unpredicted combat maneuvers. Unlike combat flying, the Blue Angels demonstration pilots know the maneuvers they will fly prior to execution, each pilot knows when one will be pulling gravitational forces. Knowing and anticipating the changes in gravitational forces allows the Blue Angels demonstration pilots to combat the G-forces with muscle contractions. In addition, the Boeing F/A-18's control stick is mounted so it is centered between the pilot's legs. The Blue Angels have a spring, with 35 pounds of pressure, installed on the control stick which gives the pilot a "false feel, " allowing the pilot minimal room for uncommanded movement. The pilots rest their right arms on their thighs for support and stability while flying. The G-suits' inflating and deflating air bladders would interrupt this support and stability, causing uncommanded aircraft movement. Overall G-suits would detrimentally impact flight safety.

What are the fastest and slowest speeds flown during an air show?
The fastest speed is about 700 mph (just under Mach 1; sneak pass) and the slowest speed is about 120 mph (indicated speed; Section High Alpha), both flown by the solo pilots during the show.

What are the major differences between the fleet model and the Blue Angel F/A-18?
The Blue Angel F/A-18s have the nose cannon removed, a smoke-oil tank installed and a spring installed on the stick which applies pressure for better formation and inverted flying. Otherwise, the aircraft that the squadron flies are the same as those in the fleet. Each Blue Angel aircraft is fleet capable and able to return to combat duty aboard an aircraft carrier within 72 hours.

<EDIT> Since someone is going to ask...

http://www.airforce.com/thunderbirds/f-16_fact.htm

Thunderbird Modifications

Dogfight switch rewired to accommodate smoke oil on/off switch

Smoke oil safe switch added to right console

Smoke oil plumbing

Ammunition drum and cannon removed to accommodate smoke oil drum

The jet-fuel starter doors were removed

Thunderbird paint scheme and motif

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Toad ]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2001, 11:01:00 PM »
Who cares for pre-takeoff display?  :)

Knights usually take off from Kubinka, fly to the airfield where they "perform" and then RTB.

Last time it was a Levashovo airfield near Leningrad, at least 600km from their base.

Have to finaly transcribe "Russian Knights" in Russian: they are "Ruuskiye Vityazi". "Vityaz'" is not exactly a "Knight", but just a proud and strong warrior, not nessesary a nobleman. The closest English word I can find is a "champion", but in this case it can be easily musunderstood.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2001, 11:09:00 PM »
Toad, I am happy to announce that you broke down another Russocentric legend  :)

I'll post your link in Russian flightsim echoes.

But I still think that 72 hours is too much, if they are not going to repaint their planes back to standard camo.  ;)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2001, 11:33:00 PM »
I think the biggest job would be replacing the cannon, boresighting it and making sure the electronics for it work correctly.

Paint? You should've seen how fast green things became tan colored back in '90. 72 hours? Not even.

Realistically, however, if it ever got down to where the handful of T-Bird or Blues planes were needed to make a difference it would mean we'd already lost.  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2001, 11:58:00 PM »
Toad, a single Krasnodar type sub equipped with supersonic antiship missiles with nuclear warheads can wipe the whole American CV group from the ocean surface...

In case of total war you have to expect combat losses that US have never faced in it's history.

It's not like playing computer games from 10km high blowing down bridges over Danube.

Sorry for linking this thread with the other one.

Smoking 25th cigarette, 9 AM here, going to work without a single hour of sleep... I hate weekends.  :)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2001, 12:03:00 AM »
Toad, a single Krasnodar type sub equipped with supersonic antiship missiles with nuclear warheads can wipe the whole American CV group from the ocean surface...

In case of total war you have to expect combat losses that US have never faced in it's history.

For Russia or China it's not new. And I don't think that your country will start negotiations because "American people don't whant it".

It's not like playing computer games from 10km high blowing down bridges over Danube.

Sorry for linking this thread with the other one.

Smoking 25th cigarette, 9 AM here, going to work without a single hour of sleep... I hate weekends.  :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2001, 02:57:00 AM »
"Toad, a single Krasnodar type sub equipped with supersonic antiship missiles with nuclear warheads can wipe the whole American CV group from the ocean surface..."

One word....

"Kursk".

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2001, 03:09:00 AM »
At least U.S subs are good for ramming civil-vessels...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Boroda, why would we ever find ourselves at war with Russia?

What circumstances would precipitate a war between your country and mine?