Author Topic: Claim DENIED!  (Read 592 times)

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2001, 09:45:00 PM »
The best thing about it is that China decides to buy Tupolev Tu-204 passanger planes instead of Boeings.

Only because of that EP-3 accident.

Tupolevs are 3 times cheaper then Boeings, and this deal can start a new market trend.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »
"This came a day after Rear Adm. Craig Quigley, a Pentagon spokesman, said the administration was prepared to reimburse China for reasonable costs."

This is ridiculous in itself cosidering they caused the entire thing in the first place.

They got the friggin Olympics, I wouldn't give another "red" cent.

Maybe they'll have "student squashing with tanks" as a new Olympic sport, sad when greed overtakes human rights and the backbone to fight for them...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
Eagler, I remember that pathetic photo from 1988.

Dealing with different cultures you have to understand that your concepts and even "common sence" must be laid off.

Have you read "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K. Dick? PKD showed his surprise that Eastern culture can be in some ways more gentle and human then practical and reasonable Western machine...

I hope that "civilised West" will not boycott 2008 Olympics as it did in 1980.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Boroda:
The best thing about it is that China decides to buy Tupolev Tu-204 passanger planes instead of Boeings.

Only because of that EP-3 accident.

Tupolevs are 3 times cheaper then Boeings, and this deal can start a new market trend.

What ?
Pathetic commie contries ramming western military aircraft as a means of deciding what kind of AC to procure thier "civilian" air fleets.
I hope they do buy your airliner. They will copy and sell it out from under you like they have with everything else that you sold them.
They will be painting them in gaudy colours and selling them as StarCrap IVs in 2 years and putting the last 4 guys in russia that have jobs out of work.
Congrats.

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Pongo ]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2001, 01:34:00 AM »
Boroda, there's not a A SNOWBALL'S CHANCE IN HELL you can succesfully argue that a country like China values individualism and respects the rights of the individual.

You'd have to either preach to the choir or a mental retard to succeed.

Of course communist China is but a few decades old and China itself much much older than that.

The Olympics however were sought by and give to the Communist rulers.

If there's one thing I cannot stad it's the Borg like ideal that the rights of the individual are non important and that the collective must, no matter what the cost, continue to operate like it always has.

I expect we'll see a few million Cginese waving in a synchronized way, moving in a syncronized way, all choreographed from their political masters.

It's scary.

Let's see, what weird country was the last one we gave the Olympics - and we should use the same arguments there - i.e "it'll help gain insight/development etc etc"?

It was in the 1930's.

It's a direct insult to people working for or supporting human rights that China got it. it really ahs me pissed off :/

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2001, 01:48:00 AM »
Premitting that the human rights violations in China are wrong and must end, is for me equally scaring the way we western countrymen use to judge the others with our parameters, sending a scaring message of supposed superiority and cultural assimilation.
Ask yourself: "maybe I am part of the Borg machine??"

Dont resist, you will be assimilated by the sacred market.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
Yeah, LOL Naso.

The Chinese aren't interested in any of that "sacred market" junk are they?

Oh, wait... they ARE!

The big difference is what they build and buy with the money they make. I'll give you a hint... it isn't a better dishwasher or vacuum cleaner for their overworked housewives.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2001, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Naso:
...equally scaring the way we western countrymen use to judge the others with our parameters, sending a scaring message of supposed superiority and cultural assimilation.

Modern capitalistic assimilation is quite real but it is voluntary. Nobody forces anyone to buy or sell - merchandise, media products, shares of enterprises or land. People vote with their money and they vote for acceptance.

The feeling of superiority is felt by citizens of western counties. Being democracies and free countries, it would be illogical if citizens knew of a better way of life and not implemented it (talking about majority here, of course - there are always some dissatisfied).
 You, being Italian, may not appreciate how it could be that majority of a country may know that things are wrong but be quite powerless to change a thing. That was the state of things in Russia before "Perestroyka" was handed down from above.
 It actually seemed less severe then that, meaning that most population might not have expressed dissatisfaction even if you asked them, but you can do wonders with no free press and state-controlled education.

There are huge communities in USA that chose and lead a way of life enormously different from the rest of the population without any impediment - including total rejection of some or all of the: culture, media, technology and market economy. The most prominent are Amish, Hasidic Jews, some chistian denominations, etc.

Anyone here is free to join or emulate them. I doubt that is true in China or some other countries.

miko

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2001, 08:25:00 AM »

You can say THAT again! (Think quality)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
I hope that "civilised West" will not boycott 2008 Olympics as it did in 1980.

The only people that were hurt by the 1980 boycott were the athletes that didn't go.  The President still has a black eye over that one (and the grain embargo).  Hopefully the President in 2008 will remember 1980.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2001, 01:49:00 PM »
Rip, Tupolevs are usually at least as reliable as Boeings. Even the good old 154s.

Mickey, in 1984 Soviet team and other teams from Eastern block boycotted LA olympics too. I still remember the incredible propaganda hype about "threats to Soviet sportsmen" etc. We had so-called "Friendship" games in Moscow instead.

And it all changed in 2 years - Good Will Games in Moscow, 1986.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2001, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992:

The only people that were hurt by the 1980 boycott were the athletes that didn't go.  The President still has a black eye over that one (and the grain embargo).  Hopefully the President in 2008 will remember 1980.

and boycotts these GAMES if the hosting country decides it's a good time to invade the little island country next door, maker of 90% of our motherboards  :)
It was one of the few things Carter did right..even if it wasn't the POPULAR choice, it was the moral one.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
Rip, Tupolevs are usually at least as reliable as Boeings. Even the good old 154s.

Crawl inside the wingbox of a TU154 after 20 years of service, now, crawl inside a B727 after 20 years of service...ya, at least as reliable...LOL! (BTW, brother-in-law is an FAA inspector, he knows his wing boxes)

Ya talk a good "party" line, though, I see your future in politics someday.  :)

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Claim DENIED!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2001, 02:12:00 AM »
stop the BOEING chant already Rip they are not heaven's gift to the flying community either  ;)