Author Topic: A Bad Investment  (Read 386 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
A Bad Investment
« on: July 16, 2001, 05:39:00 AM »
BAD INVESTMENT
Take it from a businessman: the War on Drugs is just money down the drain.
By Governor Gary E. Johnson (R-NM)
June 26, 2001

As the Republican governor of New Mexico, I'm neither soft on crime nor pro-drugs in any sense. I believe a person who harms another person should be punished. But as a successful businessman, I also believe that locking up more and more people who are nonviolent drug offenders, people whose real problem is that they are addicted to drugs, is simply a waste of money and human resources....

http://www.motherjones.com/prisons/print_investment.html

Wow... I agree with a Republican...  :)
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
A Bad Investment
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Hey, you gonna send your Republican Tax refund you get this month to a non-profit charity?  Just curious.. ;)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
A Bad Investment
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Not a chance. I'm keeping it.
sand

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
A Bad Investment
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2001, 12:53:00 PM »
Well, he's 100% right on one thing.  If we stop prosecuting drug charges, prison rates will drop!!!   :p

Seriously, he's the first politician that I've seen to come out and speak honestly and truthfully on this issue.  Doesn't mean he's the first overall to do it, I don't pay that much attention to catch everyone's comments.  It's refreshing to see someone say "Hey, we were wrong, this isn't working.  Let's fix it, and more importantly, do what's best for our citizens."
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline PapaH

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.nightwatchmen.net
A Bad Investment
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2001, 06:25:00 AM »
The drug war may be unwinnable.  Hope more of our politicians get the word soon.

Looks like Great Britain and Canada are really lightening up on the Marijuana issue.

My wife is a Canadian citizen, and for several reasons we have been considering moving to British Columbia in the next couple of years.  Not least among our concerns:  The Drug War.  I am getting more and more uncomfortable with this strategy.  It feels vaguely 'Viet Namish' to me...a difficult situation that we cannot buy or bomb our way out of.

BC now has a 'Marijuana Pary'...don't laugh!  Among their platform items:

Decriminalization of Marijuana
School Vouchers
Repeal of the National Gun Ban
Decrim and licensing of Brothels

Hmmm...vouchers, hookers, guns.  Except for the pot, sounds like the Republican Workers Pradise.  And I'll bet, truth be known, alot of the suits smoke a joint now and then!

I hope the above mentioned Governor doesn't shoot himself in the foot, tho.  This'll make GREAT mud for his next Dem opponent to sling!

PapaH

P.S.:  It is my understanding that the BC Marijuana Party stood someone for election in EVERY district this year...they were the only party to do so.  :cool:

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
A Bad Investment
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2001, 11:42:00 AM »
Pot is still illegal in GB (possession, use or production). But the police are a little tired of trying to do the impossible and enforce the laws we have. Its easy to get hold of, its cheap and its easy to conceal.

Legalise and tax it as heavily as tobacco or alcohol - everyone knows its about as dangerous as both of those narcotics.

Use anti-drug resources for the real killers.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.