Author Topic: Strom Thurmond Collapses on Senate Floor  (Read 515 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Strom Thurmond Collapses on Senate Floor
« on: October 02, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - South Carolina Republican Strom Thurmond, at age 98 the oldest member of Congress, collapsed on the Senate floor Tuesday and was receiving emergency treatment.

There was no immediate word on his condition as medical personnel and other senators rushed to his aid. The chamber was cleared and onlookers were ushered out.

Among those attending to Thurmond was Republican Sen. Bill Frist (news - bio - voting record) of Tennessee, a practicing physician."

Who in their right mind would elect a 95+ person in the first place? He should have been forced to retire long ago...
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - South Carolina Republican Strom Thurmond, at age 98 the oldest member of Congress, collapsed on the Senate floor Tuesday and was receiving emergency treatment.

There was no immediate word on his condition as medical personnel and other senators rushed to his aid. The chamber was cleared and onlookers were ushered out.

Among those attending to Thurmond was Republican Sen. Bill Frist (news - bio - voting record) of Tennessee, a practicing physician."

Who in their right mind would elect a 95+ person in the first place? He should have been forced to retire long ago...

Eagler, no offense personally, but think before you post garbage like that.  Strom Thurmond is an old patriot, not one of the "new" ones, he always has been, also has been one of the finest members of congress for decades, he's served his people very well and deserves a little respect.  The people who put him in office are no worse than the people who put Clinton in office...TWICE!!  

...sheesh

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
I know who he is. Not faulting him in the least, just those that elected him. What did they expect? I'd think they'd be able to come up with a younger Republican with the same values and moral while giving Thurmond the retirement he rightly deserves.

Wouldn't even use the word "clinton" in the same post with Thurmond as there is no comparison of the men or the ppl who voted each in..

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
Eagler  :(  
forced to retire

He is/was still competent and no one who is competent in their job  should be "Forced" to retire because someone has a predjudice against their age.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2001, 10:41:00 AM »
According to ABC News and CNN he was complaining of chest pains and light headedness.  He didn't fully collapse according to those news sevices.  He has been taken to a hospital.

I may strongly disaggree with his politics, but I never wish harm on those who haven't harmed me or mine ("mine" is a broad term here, it includes my country and freedom).
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2001, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Baddawg:
Eagler   :(  

He is/was still competent and no one who is competent in their job  should be "Forced" to retire because someone has a predjudice against their age.

Nothing against the old man but 98!
Sorry, have to disagree - 98 is to old to do most everything, especially a job which should carry the stress and demands as a representative of the ppl. Yes, if he doesn't retire, and if the ppl who elect him are too ignorant to have a clue, then there should be an age limit. How about 98 year old airline pilots, or bus drivers or fireman or ...

term limits would have fixed this too...

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler:
Yes, if he doesn't retire, and if the ppl who elect him are too ignorant to have a clue, then there should be an age limit

Assume for a moment that you are correct and the senator is not suitable for the job - just for argument's sake.

So you are saying the people are too stupid to make decisions for themselves, so they are not suitable to have a democracy?
 If so, I agree with you. I'd say IQ of 115, college degree and special examination on details of state workings, economics, history, sociology and basics of technology must be mandatory prerequisite for the citizenship franchise (voting right). Of course only after said individual finishes at least 1.5-year military training/service.

But what would be the point in trying to fix the democracy as it is? First, you cannot make enough rules, however wise, to protect stupid people from themselves. Second, with democracy the people themselves have to adopt those wise rules and they are too stupid to realise their need.
 Even if the rules are imposed, smart crooks will always be ahead of them because extra complexity actually gives advantage to smart and unscrupulous over stupid and honest.

If the senator is really too old to be elected and people realise that they could be smart enough to make restrictive rules to limit the age. But then they would be smart enough not to elect an unfit individual anyway and in that case they do not need any limiting rules.

miko

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2001, 07:37:00 PM »
Eeven if helath was questionable look at the senourite he ahs over the next closest senator. Yeah thats what i thought.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
so what. bugger the ol bastid.

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2001, 10:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish: