Author Topic: Some things I put together for CRS.  (Read 1051 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Some things I put together for CRS.
« on: July 18, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Uh...huh. Riiiiiiiiight.......

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
Heheh...it's funny because it's true.   :D

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2001, 04:52:00 PM »
You soon changed your tune Fscott. It wasn't so long ago we had multiple posts extolling the virtues of WW2OL - started by...err... you.  ;)

I played WW2OL for a couple of days and then shelved it. I couldn't take the CTHLs on one server, the 'go' button bug on another and the ridiculous 'pivot around one wing' turn-fights with Stukas dog-fighting spits (and winning). Not to mention the absolutely atrocious radio system which is an unmitigated pain in the arse - no default country channel? What were they thinking?

I hope the new version moves things in the right direction - there's some good stuff in there, particularly the ground war. It's a shame it's currently buried under so much rubbish.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2001, 05:07:00 PM »
Yeah the lack of insta-kill guns, no inflight radar or long range icons really does put a crimp in it for you gamey AH'ers(T.I.C.).

Fscott got his panties in a wad because no one at CRS would answer his inane, and then insulting, posts.

Seriously, though, the radios are different than what we are all used to, but once you figure out how to use them they are quite effective.  Not that they don't need improvement(different channel colors would be nice), but they do work surprisingly well, once we change your Comm SOP.

As one example: can you imagine 800+ persons on one channel?  Boy, that would work well, and that is what you would have with a country channel.

I have yet to see this mythical stuka killing spits, and I dogfought with one for a good 20 minutes.  He couldn't kill me, but I damn sure couldn't kill him(or turn inside of him at speed) either.  And I can kill with the Stuka's front guns in Warbirds, rest assured.  The plane FM is not quite ready yet, but, uh, remember how the AH planes flew in the early days?

Give it some time and check back after a few updates, it is pretty fun stuff, in spite of the problems.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »
Yeah the lack of insta-kill guns, no inflight radar or long range icons really does put a crimp in it for you gamey AH'ers(T.I.C.).

I'm so terribly, terribly sorry? How about having a functional game for starters, and solving the bugs I've already mentioned. Where did I say I give so much as a flying tosspiece about radar/icons etc? That part of the game is done very well. BTW (and FYI), not everyone UTMF DS abreviations UGBP. FGPOS.

Last time I was online over there I watched a stuka successfully dogfight 4 (count 'em) spits and down one. I watched the turns he was completing - it was a joke. That was the last time I took a plane up.

When I said country channel, I didn't mean in the AH/WB style. I meant a local sector channel - it would mean I could communicate with planes flying overhead or forces that set-up from different spawn points.

As for Aces High in the early days - I wasn't there. But I'm guessing CTHLs and 'go' button bugs weren't in much abundance. Or advertised, but strangely non-existant features. Oh, and did you have to give them any money to try it out in a non-committal type of way?

Fscott got his panties in a wad because no one at CRS would answer his inane, and then insulting, posts.

Quite possibly.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Dowding ]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2001, 07:13:00 PM »
Tongue in Cheek, and it is obvious you were not here for the first weeks.  Mind you, I never had problems with any of HTC's software not working, but then, I dont have the ones that you mention at CRS, either.

Here are some hints for your gaming pleasure:

If it won't "go", move back to theatre screen, select a different vehicle, etc.  Never had to log off for that problem.

Your origin channel is local for ground pounders, and instead of having the airpower on the same channel, there is a discrete channel for calling in air support(Imagine that!)

I would say that you saw an expert working in the Stuka, I have seen the same scenario played out many times in many different airframes, mant idfferent games.  Because some guys know how to fly real well does not mean there is a problem with the game(although they say the FM needs work, who am I to say).

I will tell you that the "perfect" and "Advanced" AH model made a drastic correction at one point that brought it more in line with....well, whatever.

Look, it is real simple.  If you like it play it.  If you don't. Don't.  However, I would say that if you don't play it, you are not qualified to say much about it.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2001, 09:35:00 PM »
Dowding. I still play it religiously.  And it is still everything I hyped it to be from the start.  It is the most enjoyable POS game I have ever played.

I really don't like their attitude towards the community though.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2001, 11:02:00 PM »
Fscott, when they have a community, your attitude may be valid.  At this point they have nothing but a mass of eels, slithering here and there, and no real way to interact in a meaningful way.

Give it some time, the unwashed masses are losing interest, and the ones that can see the pile of stinky carbon for what it can become will outlast the DooDs.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »
Gadfly - that particular 'fix' for the go button bug has never worked for me. Never. And it's the same for many others.

As for the radio, there is no official set-up for an 'air support' channel. So not everyone uses it - how hard would it have been to program it into the game?

Who ever said the AH FM is perfect? HTC has never made that claim, and neither have I. The fact that they are willing to make changes to the FM speaks volumes - not to mention the regular updates we get.

It do wonder why you post here. You obviously don't play the game or even remotely like it. So why bother? Everyone has heard your particular tune, ad nauseum.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2001, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:

Seriously, though, the radios are different than what we are all used to, but once you figure out how to use them they are quite effective.  Not that they don't need improvement(different channel colors would be nice), but they do work surprisingly well, once we change your Comm SOP.

As one example: can you imagine 800+ persons on one channel?  Boy, that would work well, and that is what you would have with a country channel.

I have yet to see this mythical stuka killing spits, and I dogfought with one for a good 20 minutes.  He couldn't kill me, but I damn sure couldn't kill him(or turn inside of him at speed) either.  And I can kill with the Stuka's front guns in Warbirds, rest assured.  The plane FM is not quite ready yet, but, uh, remember how the AH planes flew in the early days?

Give it some time and check back after a few updates, it is pretty fun stuff, in spite of the problems.

I agree 100% with everything you said and 200% about fscott.  He's being a salamander over there....

Udie

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
WW2 online gave me an excuse to purchase another 256 of ram (two 256 Crucial sticks to be exact), haven't played it since  :)

Being an a2a kind of guy, it was a waste of my online time.
good luck with it.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Why, Fscott was the biggest cheerleader here in the OC just a few weeks ago! You mean to tell me WE WERE RIGHT , Fscott?  ;)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2001, 02:59:00 PM »
CC Ripsnort, it is the best game I've ever played.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
fscott have you tried OFP yet - no I'm not taking a cheap shot, just checking, coz I genuinely think you'll enjoy it.

Its a pity WW2OL hasn't jumped forward in development. Even though I hated the release a part of me was hoping they'd have really tuned it up by now.

BTW Gadfly - that mass off "eels" is a paying customerbase. And I know DooD well from his WB days, hes actually not that bad. No Eels = No WW2OL.