Author Topic: Boycott US Companies that Out-source to India  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Boycott US Companies that Out-source to India
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 11:28:45 AM »
Kind of reminds me of a GM engineer that I know who piously exclaimed back in the 90's that the production guys made way too much and that moving production overseas is a good thing.

Three years ago, five years before he could retire, he was laid off and brought back as a contractor at 60% of what he was making.

A month ago he told me that when the current project is done in march 06 that the department will be closed and ALL of the new work is going to India where a top notch engineer can be had for 26k, he has begun to rethink his position.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 11:35:37 AM »
Outsourcing is just an efficient use of labor, and will continue to be a fact in the more global economy that has developed. It is just an efficient use of resources. Why should a company pay $X to have something produced and delivered if they could have it produced & delivered for $X/2 by simply moving operations. It forces competition, efficiency & is the basis of capitalism. In long run, economy & consumers are much better off.

If you are in work that is in threat of being replaced & outsourced, then you better recognize the situation, develop new skills & get more education. Either that or you can sit back and whine about how unfair the big cruel world is.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 11:37:54 AM »
Originally posted by indy007
There's some subliminal tricks they use in outsourced customer service too. Language lessons every day, and fake american names. The "Steve" that answers... yeah, his name is most definately not "Steve'".

This is what I saw when I caught an episode of "48 Hours" or "60 Minutes" a while ago.  They were doing a piece on outsourcing and visited a call center in India.  All the reps in the tech center were of course young adult Indians, and stated that they each had their own sets of American names to use when they answered calls.  They also work on sounding more American when they speak, going as far as practicing regional accents.  Of course this was just one call center and not all of them go that far, but the concept is quite an eye-opener.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 11:38:07 AM »
Originally posted by BigGun
Outsourcing is just an efficient use of labor, and will continue to be a fact in the more global economy that has developed. It is just an efficient use of resources. Why should a company pay $X to have something produced and delivered if they could have it produced & delivered for $X/2 by simply moving operations. It forces competition, efficiency & is the basis of capitalism. In long run, economy & consumers are much better off.

If you are in work that is in threat of being replaced & outsourced, then you better recognize the situation, develop new skills & get more education. Either that or you can sit back and whine about how unfair the big cruel world is.

Exactly. If my company didn't find ways to make better use of labor, then 220,000 would be out of work.  Competition uses tax payers money to sustain their business, as well as make good use of outsourcing, we don't have such a luxury.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 11:38:10 AM »

Yup, this is just about a direct quote of what he said in the 90's :)

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 11:43:21 AM »
Originally posted by Shamus

shamus
So do you think that his experience is a blanket statement of what will happen to all business that uses outsourcing?  After all, the Big 3 have been in the proverbial toilet for quite some time due to mismanagement, ignorance of the competition overseas, until it was too late.  We were following that same path until upper management pulled its head out, this year will be the first in a few that we've beat Airbus in orders placed due to lean and efficient practices....

FWIW, Boeing added 7,000 more american workers to the payroll in this last year, and will  add another 6,000 in 2006. Probably more since we may end up going to a stretch version of the 787.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 11:53:44 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
So do you think that his experience is a blanket statement of what will happen to all business that uses outsourcing?  After all, the Big 3 have been in the proverbial toilet for quite some time due to mismanagement, ignorance of the competition overseas, until it was too late.  

Of course not, I do however feel that it will happen to far more of you that you think though.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 11:58:13 AM »

shamus

I said this in the 90s? Don't recall that, but I have been a long time believer in capitalism, free markets and efficiency.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 12:02:33 PM »
I said this in the 90s? Don't recall that, but I have been a long time believer in capitalism, free markets and efficiency.

No I was refering to the engineer in my example.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 12:02:37 PM »
Of course not, I do however feel that it will happen to far more of you that you think though.

shamus
I have no doubt that more jobs will be lost. I also have no doubt many thousands more will be saved since a company will become more competitive in a global market.  One mistake I've seen time after time again is complacency in ones job. Never stop learning, always look for something better, never "expect" to have a job, complete your work like someone else wants your job. That's the key to survival today in the job market.  Most importantly, save money, and never put yourself in a position where you *need* a company pension or Social security.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2005, 12:17:04 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
There's some subliminal tricks they use in outsourced customer service too. Language lessons every day, and fake american names. The "Steve" that answers... yeah, his name is most definately not "Steve'".

This seems to be the latest tactic and is a running joke at our office.  Imagine a thick heavy Indian accent that answers the phone with "Hello, my name is Bob."

We have to send a lot of defective products back and it takes twice a long when you have to have them repeat every other sentence.  Our time is valuable and it gets old and irritating.

Outsourcing tech support to India might be good for the bottom line this quarter, but I wonder how long it will take these companies to realize they are loosing customers who are fed up with this nonsense.  As a consumer if I'm not happy with the service I get from a company, guess what,  the next product I buy will be from a different company.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »
I guess I look at the situation from an investment perspective, since it is what I do. I am repsonsible for earning a return on a significant amount of money.

As an investor, we buy a lot of stock in various companies. In doing so, we have an ownership stake in the company. The management & board of directors have an obligation to the owners of the company, not an obligation to the employees. Boeing is good example. If they fail to maintain costs and take advantage of cheaper labor alternatives, they are failing me as an owner of the company. If Boeing can get someone to do software testing more effieciently at a lower costs, they have every obligation to do so. They are forced to remain competitive, be efficient, adapt to ever changing market conditions & increase the bottom line. If they don't, investors will sell the stock & they run the danger of becoming non existent. It is just a fact of competition.

It is also possible to outsource certain jobs, while increasing the total job market. It is just redistributing labor capital to efficient areas. Long gone are the days when you could just go to work for a company & expect to work there for many years.

Offline BigGun

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005, 12:21:47 PM »
Originally posted by ChickenHawk
Outsourcing tech support to India might be good for the bottom line this quarter, but I wonder how long it will take these companies to realize they are loosing customers who are fed up with this nonsense.  As a consumer if I'm not happy with the service I get from a company, guess what,  the next product I buy will be from a different company.

If they are smart, they will pay attention to this & adapt as the market changes.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 12:24:13 PM »
I guess I look at the situation from an investment perspective, since it is what I do. I am repsonsible for earning a return on a significant amount of money.

As an investor, we buy a lot of stock in various companies. In doing so, we have an ownership stake in the company. The management & board of directors have an obligation to the owners of the company, not an obligation to the employees. Boeing is good example. If they fail to maintain costs and take advantage of cheaper labor alternatives, they are failing me as an owner of the company. If Boeing can get someone to do software testing more effieciently at a lower costs, they have every obligation to do so. They are forced to remain competitive, be efficient, adapt to ever changing market conditions & increase the bottom line. If they don't, investors will sell the stock & they run the danger of becoming non existent. It is just a fact of competition.

It is also possible to outsource certain jobs, while increasing the total job market. It is just redistributing labor capital to efficient areas. Long gone are the days when you could just go to work for a company & expect to work there for many years.
Good post and its evident that you know today's global market strategies very well.:aok

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 12:37:13 PM »
Corporate America is selling out American Jobs.

They are literally at war with American Labor.

Guess who pays for this?

Bottom line is NOT profits. it's national survival. Wake up, smell the curry. We're in deep **** and corporate america is digging us in even deeper with BS 'bottom line' platitudes and 'outsourcing'.

Check Northwest Airlines as an example of this blatently criminal corporate behavior. Takes federal dollars. orders airbuses with it. dumps american workforce. executives bail with multi-million dollar salries and parachutes. company declares bankruptcy. Sickening.

Yer a SELLOUT, Rip. A plastic phoney-baloney american, spewing platitudes and BS.. tossing work overseas when we have a massive trade deficit is un-american. Look around you.. think we can keep up selling our workforce short? How long before the economy implodes?

Look at the legacy yer leaving yer kids. look in the mirror. yer a sellout. plain and simple.

enjoy yer stuffed christmas goose, Rip.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.