Author Topic: IWO JIMA, - incredible  (Read 737 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »
a movie about Iwo is being made?

Clint?  Clint who?  Eastwood?

Links please
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 12:06:01 PM »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 07:04:52 PM »
Author James Bradley, - son of "Doc" Bradley, one of those who raised the flag.
Copyright owner & producer AFAIK is Steven Spielberg.
Director (da boss) is Clint Eastwood.
Spent some odd 3 weeks on the set. Mostly cold and bored, except sometimes it ROCKED.
Must admire Clint's workmanship. Honoured to have been there.

Clint deserves some :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 07:15:34 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Author James Bradley, - son of "Doc" Bradley, one of those who raised the flag.
Copyright owner & producer AFAIK is Steven Spielberg.
Director (da boss) is Clint Eastwood.
Spent some odd 3 weeks on the set. Mostly cold and bored, except sometimes it ROCKED.
Must admire Clint's workmanship. Honoured to have been there.

Clint deserves some :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok
Are you an extra on the film?

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2005, 03:17:03 AM »
That would be yes.
"Private Farmer" was my nick ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2005, 03:38:36 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
A post about Iwo Jima and  Jim Thorpe hasn`t been mentioned yet? Hmmmmm.

Most threads about Iwo Jima will not mention Jim Thorpe as he was born in 1888 and would have been 57 years old during the battle.  An athlete in 1912 Olympics, he won the decathalon and pentathalon and was later stripped of victory due to playing semi pro baseball. The Medals where restored posthumosly.  

Ira Hayes is who you mean. (hey, they were both Indians)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 04:42:11 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Most threads about Iwo Jima will not mention Jim Thorpe as he was born in 1888 and would have been 57 years old during the battle.  An athlete in 1912 Olympics, he won the decathalon and pentathalon and was later stripped of victory due to playing semi pro baseball. The Medals where restored posthumosly.  

Ira Hayes is who you mean. (hey, they were both Indians)

;)
"Born Dec. 7, 1919, in San Francisco, Thorpe grew up with a father he described as a hobo.

Thorpe came to Carson City in 1935, and enrolled himself in the eighth grade. Though he attended several technical and trade schools, he never graduated from public school, but came away with, in his words, an "equivalent education."

He spent four years with the U.S. Navy, most of it on the USS Tennessee, where he fought in the battle of Iwo Jima."
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 06:00:30 AM »
"A barber in the Navy, he went to California after the war and honed his skills."

My apologies Jackal...

I know of a guy named Thomas Jefferson who isn't 250 yrs old.  Maybe I can weave him into a thread sometime.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 06:29:08 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
"A barber in the Navy, he went to California after the war and honed his skills."

My apologies Jackal...

I know of a guy named Thomas Jefferson who isn't 250 yrs old.  Maybe I can weave him into a thread sometime.

:rofl That`s the third time that has worked. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
IWO JIMA, - incredible
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2005, 12:10:28 PM »
So was the guy famous or what?