Author Topic: Very weird problem, need urgent help.  (Read 633 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Very weird problem, need urgent help.
« on: December 25, 2005, 09:43:24 AM »
Have a very weird problem with AH on a computer.

It is a Laptop, used to run very well on it, smooth and in high resolution and good detail. A couple of weeks ago strange things started to happen.

After a while of flying everything goes into slow-motion, planes become sluggish, roll rate is lowered by 50% or more as it every other input. After a while it stops being in slow-motion but then the game thinks it needs to catch up so everything start running at 200% the speed instead, every input goes twice as fast. After a while this too stops and normal conditions are once again restored.

The normal flying lasts for a few minutes before it all repeats again.

It is not my connection, it has been tried here at home aswell as other places with different ISP's.

AH has been reinstalled on the computer both in the same folder and in other folders.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Lan784

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 10:29:33 PM »
List ur Graphics Card and CPU memory data and also Memory Card

I have never heard that happening before to tell u the truth. I think its either ur CPU memory is low or ur graphics card isnt supporting the game.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 07:35:48 AM »
Wilbus, Processor getting hot by way of intermitent fan slow down/speed up? or low on memory/memory stick going bad?

just a thought..........or  spam/mal/spyware...................

checkout this link it checks for both viruses and spy/malware and lets you decide what to do with it:

http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp

good luck Wilbus
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »
Thanks guys, you are both close I think...

Found out last night that it happens every time the graphic card fan starts. Question is, why does it happen now and not for the first few months it was used and why does it only happen in AH and no other game?
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 12:11:56 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Thanks guys, you are both close I think...

Found out last night that it happens every time the graphic card fan starts. Question is, why does it happen now and not for the first few months it was used and why does it only happen in AH and no other game?

Dirty Fanblades?

power low? fan pulling a drain on the rest of the system
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
If it only happens when the fan comes on, it suggests two things to me.

Either your video card is getting too hot, and the fan isnt kicking on until the heat is causing problems.........

Or you have too much stuff running and your power supply cant hack it, and that fan is just the straw that broke the camel's back.  

You said it ran fine before?  Have you added any hardware since then?  Anything that would use power?  Check the fan power connection and make sure it is seated properly, not partway off showing any bare metal on the connections that could be grounding somewhere.  

What kind of temps are you seeing on the video side?  If you dont have any way to tell, try downloading an app that will watch the temps for you.

One last thought, also heat related.  In your BIOS setup, is there a setting called "Thermal Throttling"?  If you ARE running hot, and this setting is turned up, it will cut cycles on the CPU to compensate until the temps drop.  That effectively cuts your CPU's clock cycles by whatever % that setting is on.  At 50%, it will cut your CPU clock in half, skipping every other cycle.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 03:39:27 PM »
Thanks, will check those things. No new hardware has been added btw.

One more strange thing that I forgot to mention before.

The slowdown ONLY happens when I am online, it doesn't happen in offline mode, it doesn't happen in any other games or apps whatsoever no matter if the videocard fan is running or not.

Also, during this time the connection is fugged. During the slowdown the netstat is in the very bottom, when it speeds up and runns twice (or so) as fast it is in the very top.

This also affects my other computer running on the same connection at the moment but that computer doesn't slow down, it only gets warpy.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Lan784

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Thanks, will check those things. No new hardware has been added btw.

One more strange thing that I forgot to mention before.

The slowdown ONLY happens when I am online, it doesn't happen in offline mode, it doesn't happen in any other games or apps whatsoever no matter if the videocard fan is running or not.

Also, during this time the connection is fugged. During the slowdown the netstat is in the very bottom, when it speeds up and runns twice (or so) as fast it is in the very top.

This also affects my other computer running on the same connection at the moment but that computer doesn't slow down, it only gets warpy.

:huh :huh :huh :huh  thats weird

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
i used to get strange crashes and slomotion bits, and then the sound went wild. i installed a new driver a few weeks back and it hasn't had anything happen since. try updating you vid card driver, if it doesnt work take it to the PC shop and see what they can do with it

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 06:47:26 PM »
Mine used to do that too.
Played with video card drivers and it went away.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 02:32:02 PM »
Originally posted by Lan784
:huh :huh :huh :huh  thats weird

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

I will try playing with the video card drivers, hopefully it is as simple as that.

What is weird with it though (ok, yet another weird thing) is that when it runs at half the speed, the FPS is at 100+.

It just keep getting weirder and weirder.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 03:39:52 PM »
heat generated by your strained graphics card is my guess, once it gets too hot, the rest of your system becomes unstable including your network con which is hosing up the other comp somehow..

what happens if you turn down the settings to performance from high detail in ah? lower res? anything to take the strain off the vcard...

my guess is that the fan can't keep the lap cool anymore, maybe a bad fan or your card is getting hotter now than it was was new?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 12:31:26 AM »
Update:

Laptop: Toshiba M60-BK3

Videocard: Nvidia go 6600

Video settings:

1440x900, No AA, no AF, 256 texture size.

Tonight i updated my vidcard drivers again ( generic 81.98 ) , and for some reason when im low near field, everything speeds up, and as i pull up it goes back to normal (no slowdowns, just sudden speed boost when low near field). I was thinking it was the illusion of speed as i get low, but no.. i slowed down to stall  and i could still roll like a maniac and everything would move faster like im flying by @ 400+mph.. Weird stuff..

Few months back i tried older drivers ( generic 78.XX i think), and game would speed up and slow down at all alts (much worse then tonight). It would be very noticable  during tight turns, i could see the ground and sky slow and speed ....when  i reverted back to original toshiba drivers (73.XX) everything was fine..

Well, i guess It's back to original toshiba drivers for me :( ..

Offline terricola

• Zinc Member
your not alone
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 06:28:53 PM »
I blame GForce cards.
I have GForce Go 6200 (128MB) on a laptop and get the same problem, exept that my problem started as soon as i got the laptop. All other 3D games run fine though.
Try going into the video settings of AH, then uncheck "optimize terrain" and "optimize textures". That helped get rid of half the problem. Now the computer still goes really slow sometimes, but doesnt try to catch up. The result: I dont see any warping on my screen, but everyone else sees me warping like hell every 15-20 seconds..

Although problem doesnt seem to happen in single player mode, thats becuase if the computer does slow down, it has no reason to try to catch up.

I have been playing with settings for the last 3 days and so far, the best is changing those optimizing settings.

Offline Callisto

• Copper Member
Re: your not alone
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 11:18:33 PM »
Originally posted by terricola
I blame GForce cards.
I have GForce Go 6200 (128MB) on a laptop and get the same problem, exept that my problem started as soon as i got the laptop. All other 3D games run fine though.
Try going into the video settings of AH, then uncheck "optimize terrain" and "optimize textures". That helped get rid of half the problem. Now the computer still goes really slow sometimes, but doesnt try to catch up. The result: I dont see any warping on my screen, but everyone else sees me warping like hell every 15-20 seconds..

Although problem doesnt seem to happen in single player mode, thats becuase if the computer does slow down, it has no reason to try to catch up.

I have been playing with settings for the last 3 days and so far, the best is changing those optimizing settings.

Yep.. noticed the exact same thing. My FPS also shoots up to 99 FPS while game goes into slow mo.. then it FPS drops to 25 and it starts to move super fast, feels like 700mph lol... Still using 81.xx drivers i got from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ .
So far for me AH2 worked the best with  old original Toshiba drivers, but those old drivers give me other problems.
Let us know if you find something out.