Author Topic: Roll V Turn!  (Read 1212 times)

Offline tallyho1

• Zinc Member
Roll V Turn!
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:09:54 AM »
Hi guys,

Merry xmas and all that! I am moving from my spit to a dora or 109 and so need some theoretical advice on the different flying methods!I need some help getting my head around turn and roll - well its practical use in the MA!

Before you start I do know how to turn and roll a plane, but both seem to do roughly the same thing but just use a different method!

What and how should you use roll in both attacking and defending situation?

Also which one changes direction the quickest?

Now I've really confused you, any help woul be most appreciated!

Tallho

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Roll V Turn!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 05:14:09 PM »
Originally posted by tallyho1

Before you start I do know how to turn and roll a plane, but both seem to do roughly the same thing but just use a different method!
Tallho

turning and rolling are different things. Rolling is getting your plane to rotate around the 12oc/6oc axis (direction your plane is pointing). Turning is changing the direction the plane is moving. Note: planes dont always move in the direction the nose points (slipping, spins, etc). Rolling just rotates the plane and doesnt in itself cause the plane to turn. In order to change its course (to turn), the most effectve way is to roll so that your wings are no longer parrallel with the ground and add some up elevator and some rudder in the direction of the turn.

I think perhaps i am misunderstanding your question??
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline tallyho1

• Zinc Member
Roll v Turn
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 05:19:11 PM »
Hey there mate,

Many thanks for the reply, that does kind of help - however would a good rolling plane be able to change direction faster than a good turning plane?

Also how does this help in the MA in an offencise or defencive situation?

Thanks

Tally

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Re: Roll v Turn
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 05:53:09 PM »
Hey there mate,

Many thanks for the reply, that does kind of help - however would a good rolling plane be able to change direction faster than a good turning plane?

Also how does this help in the MA in an offencise or defencive situation?

Thanks

Tally

absolutely. As rolling your plane is the prerequisite to turning it (the most efficient way to turn it at least), the longer it takes to roll into the correct angle for the up-comming turn, and thus the longer its going to be untill your actually turning. So yes, a fast-rolling plane can change direction (note i didnt say 'turn') faster than a slower rolling plane. Roll-rate is all but totally independent to sustained or instantaneous turn rates. Roll-rate dictates the time it takes to set up the change of directions from your last course, but not how fast it will do the actual change of course - this is where a planes turn-rate is the factor to consider.

So to recap. A planes roll-rate has nothing to do with its abililty to turn, only how fast it can set that turn up. Turn-rate has nothing to do with how fast you can set that turn up (roll-rate).

FW-190, the tempest, the spit 16 all have phenomenal roll-rates, but only the spit 16 has a excellent sustained turn rate. Turn rate is a complicated issue, as some planes turn better than others at different speeds, and then come worse at other speeds - and is well beyond the scope of my waffle on roll-rate.

In terms of how to use roll-rate as a defensive maneuver, the simplest example is the sissors. A plane which can change directions one way then back again rapidly has a distinct advantage in the sissors.  Offensively, following someone through a sissors a superior roll-rate will also pay dividends and lead to more opportunities for a snap-shot. Roll-rate helps gunnery too :)

The 190 IMO has the best roll rate in the game, and its under-appreciated by most people.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: Roll V Turn!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:48:25 PM »
What and how should you use roll in both attacking and defending situation? Also which one changes direction the quickest?

Those are very good questions, and the answers are not clear cut.

The most obvious application of roll rate in both attack and defense is the ability to stay in the plane of motion of the bandit, that is to keep your lift vector parallel with the bandits, in order to take a shot. Of course, that isn’t strictly necessary, but it does make the gunnery problem easier, and most pilots will try to get in plane, by rolling their lift vector until it lines up with the bandits and then pull lead for the shot. The roll rate advantage is important in that respect, because the while the attacker is trying to get his lift vector lined up with the defender, the defender will be trying to avoid that, and the aircraft with the better roll rate should prevail. Here is a diagram so you can see what I mean.  

Another way that roll rate can be used to defeat turn rate is anytime you are able to maneuver out of plane with the bandit. The extreme example shown in the next diagram illustrates a situation where one aircraft has pulled into the vertical, while his opponent has stayed in a horizontal turn. The pilot in the vertical can use roll rate to defeat turn rate by rolling so that his lift vector points far enough in front of the bandit so that when he pulls down, he will be on his high six. This works because even aircraft with a relatively low roll rate, still have a roll rate several times higher than any other aircraft’s maximum instantaneous turn rate.

Lastly, no discussion of roll rate would be complete without reference to Colonel Boyd’s OODA loop, because in answer to your question, roll rate can also be used to defeat turn rate when the disparity is significant, (also in real life when the stick forces are significant and pilot fatigue is a factor).  The OODA loop was the idea of USAF fighter pilot and highly thought of tactician Colonel John Boyd. His OODA loop stands for Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act... this being the decision process that a pilot goes through in solving any given BFM problem during an engagement. For example, if you see you opponent change his flight path with an aileron roll, you are in the “Observe” phase of the loop. You then need to comprehend what effect your opponents changes will have on the situation, so now you are in the “Orient” phase. Now you need to make a decision from the many options available, and while doing that you are in the “Decide” phase. Finally, you need to execute that decision with a maneuver of your own, so you are in the “Act” phase of the loop, and so it continues.

A pilot who consistently completes the loop faster gains an advantage that increases with each cycle. Because the gains are additive the slower pilot becomes increasingly slower by comparison and therefore less effective until, finally, he is overcome by events.

So how does this theory apply to roll rate and turn rate? For example there is a large variation in roll rate for some WWII aircraft and so those that have higher roll rates allow the pilot to complete the "action" phase more quickly, thereby allowing him to stay inside his opponent’s Boyd loop. This can be very powerful. For example, it is possible to defeat an aircraft with superior level turn performance, from a neutral position and ending with a guns solution, by using just a roll rate advantage. When inexperienced pilots see this, they are amazed that they have an aircraft that can out turn their opponent, yet they can't kill it. The reason is that the pilot of the aircraft with the superior roll rate can use maneuvers that take advantage of the roll rate and increase their advantage incrementally every time they use it. Here is a concrete example.

Suppose we have Aircraft A and Aircraft B and suppose that the Aircraft A can turn at 18dps and has a 2dps turn rate advantage over Aircraft B that turns at 16dps. Normally, 2dps would be considered a decisive advantage in Air Combat, so Pilot A would be expected to win. However, suppose pilot B had a 120dps roll rate and that Pilot A has a 60dps role rate. Now consider what happens in a turn…

A and B are turning hard for 10 seconds say, and so pilot A gains 20 degrees on pilot B and thinks he’s winning the fight. But now B rolls 120 degrees and then continues turning. To follow him pilot A will need to roll for 2 seconds, but pilot B actually completed his 120 degrees roll in one second, so he was able to continue his turn for a full second while pilot A was still completing his roll, at 16dps that means pilot B just gained back 16 of the 20 degrees. Ok, I hear you thinking, Pilot A is still 4 degrees ahead, all he now needs to do is keep turning for the kill. Not so fast… The moment pilot B sees pilot A complete his roll and begin to turn into him again, pilot B repeats his previous 120 degree roll in another direction and now gains another 16 degrees. At the end of that pair of maneuvers, pilot B with the inferior turning aircraft will be 12 degrees farther around than his opponent, and he will gain another 16 degrees every time he does it. Of course, I only picked those numbers because they were easy to work with, they aren’t important, it is the principle that counts. As Boyd said "Time becomes the critical determinant of combat advantage".

After all that, we have still only been discussing the “Act” part of the cycle. When you consider the other parts of the cycle, there are other factors that have an effect on the outcome. For simulation pilots the “Observe” phase is influenced by the viewing system used, the icons, radar, and even the game resolution all provide different visual cues. Their interpretation can lead to different perceptions and estimates of the combat situation. So “Orient” is about understanding what you see, and different levels of comprehension will compel pilots to make different decisions. Inexperienced pilots are more likely to use pure "G for brains", and pull directly into the bandit, while pilots better versed in the subtleties of air combat are likely to have a more complete three dimensional perspective, and thus be able to find more efficient solutions to BFM problems. So the “Orient” phase is about understanding the situation you are in, the implications of the bandits actions, and what you need to do about it, and there may well be several options. That of course leads to the “Decide” phase, and has other influences, for example how many solutions there are, how much fuel or ammo you have remaining, the proximity of other aircraft… and so on. Each phase takes some time and Boyd’s proposition was that the successful pilot will be able to process his OODA loop more rapidly than his opponent. In his own words the successful pilot would "get inside his adversary's loop", thereby forcing the opponent to always react defensively. Boyd once said while describing what it was like to operate inside his opponent’s OODA loop: “It’s like they’re moving in slow motion.” And there are many who can confirm, that is exactly what it is like to fight new pilots online…

Hope that helps...

Badboy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 10:51:16 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Roll v Turn
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 11:28:16 PM »
Originally posted by Spatula
FW-190, the tempest, the spit 16 all have phenomenal roll-rates

Ummm, the Tempest rolls like old people screw...

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Roll
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 09:01:57 AM »
Great write-up, Badboy!

The Corsair "out-turned" the A6M by using the verticle and the Corsair's good roll rate in the Pacific....

Rolling...a change of direction, which....can be used horizontally, or vertically.....to deadly effect.

Often, when you think you've been "out-turned ", you've probably been " out-rolled"....
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline tallyho1

• Zinc Member
Roll v Turn
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 04:26:42 AM »
Thanks guys,

Now just have to try and put it into practice! Watch out you nits and bish's lol!

Tally

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 07:13:26 AM »
im a little late, but i made a film (pretty bad, but shows the vertical scissors perfectly) a while a go, and it was my first, so don't expect anything fantastic, but you might see how roll can be used.

overshoot vid

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 10:40:17 AM »
In Robert Johnson's book, Thunderbolt!, he described an incident where he "outturned" a spit using the roll rate of the jug.  Not sure if it is made up (I believe Martin Caiden co-wrote), but for an aircraft that could hardly get out of its own way (according to the book), use of roll could out maneuver a better turning plane.  I believe actually executing that is far more difficult than discussing it.  It is for me, anyway.:(

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 10:12:46 AM »
A bit fuzzy on the details, but IIRC Johnson was returning to base with a British Spit5. Basically, he jumped the Spit5 without telling him first. The Spit pilot quickly caught on and decided to play along with the 'game'. The Spit outturned the P-47, Johnson ran (or 'extended'), and then went into a series of maneuvers and basically roped the Spit5. There was certainly more than one occasion during the mock combat that the Spit could have shot his P-47 down, but of course, no shots were fired.

No disrespect to the late Mr. Johnson, but my impression is people exaggerate this particular engagement too much, holding the P-47 in higher regard than it should be.

Offline BGgetmo

• Zinc Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 04:06:55 AM »
Originally posted by Pooface
im a little late, but i made a film (pretty bad, but shows the vertical scissors perfectly) a while a go, and it was my first, so don't expect anything fantastic, but you might see how roll can be used.

overshoot vid

Awesome!  Truly awesome Poo, that helped me understand how a FW "turns" with my N1K2-J. Thank you.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »
Poo Really great job on the film  well done !! Helps alot

Badboy, Also Very Informative write up and illustrations Thank You

~S~ Sir
RaVe
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:05:24 PM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 05:10:08 PM »
ah, thanks

its the first film i ever made, and so was a little cheezy, and was made a while ago, when i hadn't quite mastered how to do it right. this was months and months ago. if any of you want me to come and show you in the TA properly any time, i'd be happy to do so. i like passing on my skills :)

it is less a move than a way of thinking, because you have to watch the other guy, anticipate where he's going, and react and lead into that situation, so you know what he's going to do before he does lol. watching his plane can show you exactly what he's doing, so you combine rolls and barrels to get around on him. if anyone wants to try it out, i can take them to the TA, film it and make a far better film, more informative, if anyone has time or is interested?

Offline bsdaddict

• Silver Member
Roll V Turn!
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 05:41:51 PM »
Originally posted by Pooface

overshoot vid

Link's dead.  I realize that you posted that a while back, any chance you (or someone else who downloaded this vid) could post it again somewhere?  thanks...