Author Topic: Whats going on in Canada?  (Read 4341 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Whats going on in Canada?
« Reply #255 on: January 14, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
Exeter
Ah yes, Exeter - I know it well. It's in Devonshire! ;) Do you fly in there when you visit your friends for the shooting party?

ASTAC said "You ever stop to think that our gun culture was a result of the tyrannical oppression of Britain over the American colonies? That maybe our second amendment was a direct result of the fact that every citizen needed to be armed to win and keep our freedom."

No, I don't think Britain had anything to do with it. Remember, in the 18th century, Britain owned a third of the world and had the most powerful navy in the world. In the last few centuries, numerous former colonies (I was going to say dozens, but I haven't counted them all) in addition to the USA have gained independence from Britain, but none has spawned a gun culture on such a huge scale as can be seen in the USA. I think your gun culture has more to do with cowboys and indians. The indigenous red indians were booted off their own land and banished to reservations. Understandably, the indians were pissed off about that, and so the new settlers had to protect themselves and their property. Still, you have to admit - it's a cracking sig! :cool:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2006, 09:40:57 AM »
No beet... our gun culture has more to do with our enlightened constitution that guarnetees that some petty governement can't tyranize the people...

besides spelling out human rights that the government can not infringe on it is a dicument of limited government.  You can't have limited government without the right to keep and bear arms.

england did indeed inspire our gun culture...  We used a lot of english law to form our government... it was good law but had no guarentees... the rights of the people came from the government... rights that english people thought they had could be taken away at a moments notice by kings or politicians.   All the brilliant thinking that went into english law was simply a waste of time... there are no guarentees.

english and colonials all just assumed that under british law they wouls never be disarmed...  the very first thing that started the revolution was that.....

Brits demanded that the Americans disarm...

The last thing the brits asked the Boer to do before they invaded them was.... to disarm.

So yes... the distrust of the imperialistic and decietful brits and their useless laws did indeed have a great deal to do with the gun culture in this country.... you just about guarenteed that there would be a constitutions with amendments and... that the one second only to free speech would be...

The right to keep and bear arms.

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2006, 09:45:34 AM »
and your sig?   if says pretty much that..

"yeah... we still have the same amount of homicides per capita as when we actualy had free people but now, more of em get stabbed to death and... Americans seem to kill each other at a few more per hundred thousand than we do.  we kill each other at about 1.5 per 100k like allways and they kill each other at like 5 per 100k or so and dropping"

Least... that's the way I read it.

lazs

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
No, I don't think Britain had anything to do with it. Remember, in the 18th century, Britain owned a third of the world and had the most powerful navy in the world. In the last few centuries, numerous former colonies (I was going to say dozens, but I haven't counted them all) in addition to the USA have gained independence from Britain, but none has spawned a gun culture on such a huge scale as can be seen in the USA.

If my memory of history serves me, I think that the difference is that the USA is the only one who took its freedom from the crown, the rest were given theirs by the crown.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2006, 10:00:12 AM »
The boers allmost did... they kept their tradition of gun ownership also... they were a very limited government and they learned from the gentle minstations of the brits that.... free men needed to be armed.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2006, 05:05:54 PM »
The right to bear arms did not necessarily have any positive bearing on those nations who gained their independence from Britain or other countries. In countries like Zimbabwe and South Africa, it was legal to purchase and own guns. But that was no protection from the fate which awaited those countries. Zimbabwe (formerly Southern Rhodesia) declared UDI in 1965, and became an independent state in 1980 under Robert Mugabe - it's been downhill ever since, with most of the indigenous white population having been forced to leave, having been dispossessed of their property in Mugabe's "land grab" campaign. South Africa became independent of Britain in 1910. But despite the public's right to purchase and own guns, crime has spiralled out of control. Tens of thousands of indigenous South Africans have given up their right to own guns and have sought refuge in Britain.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »
Beet..look wher eyou are talking about..a place that has never got away from the tribal mentality. They can't even run a country between themselves because of tribal fueding.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
Beet..look wher eyou are talking about..a place that has never got away from the tribal mentality. They can't even run a country between themselves because of tribal fueding.
I was making the simple point that guns are not the panacea to all ills that some people would like to think. As a matter of fact, Zimbabwe and South Africa were highly civilised in their day. In Zimbabwe, the indigenous whites had a very high standard of living - with homes on 3 acre plots, large houses with separate pavilions, swimming pool, several servants... When the whites were forced out, it was bad news for the blacks who were left too. Suddenly they had no jobs, later they would have no food...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »
beet... in south africa people with bigger armies and bigger guns took away the ability of the south africans to keep order.   and look how it turned out?   real paradise there now eh?

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Ah yes, Exeter - I know it well.  

You know it well? Excellent.

Then you should be able to answer the question that you dodged regarding carry on baggage:

What is there on the US list that is prohibited here that would be allowed as carry-on baggage in the UK?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2006, 12:37:47 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
You know it well? Excellent.

Then you should be able to answer the question that you dodged regarding carry on baggage:

What is there on the US list that is prohibited here that would be allowed as carry-on baggage in the UK?
Oh I doubt that there's much! The power of the FAA fiefdom extends globally!

Are you returning to Devonshire any time soon?