Author Topic: Ch Products set-up...relearning  (Read 495 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Ch Products set-up...relearning
« on: December 28, 2005, 10:10:47 AM »
For Christmas, my wife gave me a CH products FighterStick and Pro Throttle.

Yesterday, I installed them and went  through the long process of setting up all the buttons for functions. I was previously using an X45 set-up and I have to now memorize the different button functions and locations. With two 8-way hat switches, I set up the one on the throttle to provide up views. All of these changes mean that there will be a learning curve.

Added to this is the distant position of the hat switch on the stick itself. It's about 1.5 inches higher up than on the X45, and quite a stretch to reach. Again, this will take some getting used to. I was wondering that if I disassemble the stick, maybe the hat switch can swap location with the castle switch below it... I should probably e-mail CH products and ask if this is possible (are the thru holes the same diameter and will the wiring allow the re-location?).

I have had the Pro Pedals for about 6 months, so this completes the change-over.

I'm not sure I like the feel of the stick, with its two distinct axes of motion, giving  it a more notchy feel. However, the stick is more precise than the X45 as the travel is nearly doubled. Getting used to nearly double displacement of motion is another factor that will take some time.

I wish the throttle had a tension adjustment as it is TOO easy to move by accident. Besides, I'm preconditioned to a throttle that moves in an arc, rather than simply sliding fore-aft. Again, more muscle memory required.

With the X45 system, I could fly a P-38G with the stick full back on the stops to the right-rear with a bit of top rudder and hang there in an impossible turn like a UFO... I imagine it will take some practice to do that with this new set-up. Flying is not a problem, but flying at the absolute limits will take some time to re-master with this set-up.

I just took a week off from AH2, my schedule this time of the year is very busy. Plus, what little time I did have I spent playing with Wings Over Vietnam, which I found quite entertaining.

Well, I will fly offline for a few hours and get some experience with this new set-up and then head to the TA for another 10 hours or so before venturing into the MA.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »
WW,
Alot of us use the 8 way on the throttle for main views.  I use the pinky sw on the stick to modify all views up (kp5).  I use the stick 8 way for autopilot functions.  I can sympathise with the RElearning curve.  One squad night a month, I fly from Guam with a MSFF2  twisty stick. BIG difference and so easy to overcontrol the MS after getting use to the Fighterstick's long throws.  I love the CH gear now that I have been using it the last 3 years.  GL
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 12:11:45 PM by DAVENRINO »
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 12:12:27 PM »
If you have TRACKIR, I can give you my CH profile.  I use the hat switches for trim etc... now.

balsy

Offline Shaky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 02:38:11 PM »
I used the throttle hat for a bit, couldn't shake 15 year old muscle memory so I had to put them back on the stick.

I used layers of duct tape to build up the hand rest of the stick about 3/4 inch in order to reach the 8 way easier...works fine. Try it, it may help retain some old instincts.
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »
Hi Widewing. Ive just had my fighterstick apart to do some minor fixes. The 8-way hat switch body has a slightly wider diameter than the two other 4-way switches on that top panel, so i dont think it would be an easy swap. I do agree it is set a bit far up, but you will get used to it, as you will with the weak springs and long throws.
I couldnt imagine using anything else, i love my CH gear.

FWIW - i also have an old game-port F16 combat stick (which is a smaller, less featured CH stick) which only has a 4-way hat switch (perhaps due to a limitation of gameports), but the only diffference between it and the fightersticks 8-way is the little grey plastic cap which fits over the top of the hat switch assembly. Apart from that, they're identical in every way. Theoretically, if you had a combat stick with the 4 way, you could get a fine rats-tail file and file out the cap a little to allow the full 8 ways (so that you can actuate two switches simultaneously eg up and right).

I was wondering if you could do the same to the smaller 4-ways on your fighter stick?? Its a serious mod, which may not work and may stuff up one of those smaller 4 ways. Prob not worth trying, given the risk.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 11:14:37 PM »
I made the switch a year ago.  To make it even harder on myself I switched about a week before last years KoTH TOC, which I regretted.  Initially, it did feel like a strech to get to the stick hat, but now it feels as natural to me as any other stick ive used.  The articulated X and Y axis took some adjustment to get used to, but I came to like how it limited inadvertant mixing of inputs.  I did use the pinkey button as a view toggle between 45deg up views, and 90degs.

I made a small plywood mount for the throttle which is fastend to the side of this office chair at seat level.  It projects just forward of the edge of the seat enough so that the grip is right where my hand would naturally fall with my arm on the arm-rest.  I could imagine if the throttle was in a higher position, it would be a little akward to operate.

As someone who is mainly in the 38, I used the 3 finger buttons on the front of the throttle to select engine 1, both, or engine 2.  Ive found it a useful setup, and thought Id mention it.

Overall Id have to say after getting familure with the setup, that it is the best Ive ever used, and it was worth the adjustment time.

Offline watanna

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 08:51:32 AM »
A setup that I use that seems to work well is hat on stick for 360 views.  On the throttle the three buttons on the front of the throttle the 2nd button I set for up and the 3rd for down.  Seems very simple and gives instant access to all possible views.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 11:04:39 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I made a small plywood mount for the throttle which is fastend to the side of this office chair at seat level.

Offline watanna

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
MURDR  great idea.  Thanks for the pic.  On my to the basement to fire up the old tablesaw.