Author Topic: North African New Year  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
North African New Year
« on: December 29, 2005, 01:59:21 PM »
The last few times we ran Tunisia, there was clamor for the A5 and for the Spit 5.  Now that the Spit is more like it's historical self (as tested previously against the 109F), we're adding the two in to see how it all works out.

North Africa, as 1942 becomes 1943

Pressed between the veteran British Eighth Army on the
East, and the green but eager U.S. forces on the West,
the Afrika Korps fights the final delaying action.

Allied Forces (Bishops)

On Land:
 Boston
 C-47
 Hurri I, IIC, IID
 P38G
 P40E
 Spit 5
 M3
 M8
 M16
 Ostwind
 Panzer IV

On Carriers:
 F4F
 Dauntless

Axis Forces (Knights)
Bf-109E
Bf-109F
Bf-110C
C. 202
FW-190A5
C-47
Ju-88
Stuka
M3
M8
M16
Ostwind
Panzer IV

Fog is set at 12.5 miles, the max
Fuel is 1.5 burn rate
Low-altitude ack is .5, puffy ack is .25
Friendly collisions are off.
Killshooter is on.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
North African New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »
Thanks OM  Looks Good.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

storch

North African New Year
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:54:48 PM »
would you consider leaving out the HurriIIc.  It will be a HO'n HurriIIc fest. otherwise the set up looks fine. Thanks OM.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
North African New Year
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »
HO'n HurrII is a good counter to the HO'n 110:aok

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

storch

North African New Year
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:20:41 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
HO'n HurrII is a good counter to the HO'n 110:aok
it's the 110C4 not the HO monster.  aside from that I seldom HO and when I do I lose.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
North African New Year
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 05:48:49 PM »
KILLER SET-UP!

This is a really good match-up both in the air and on the ground.

!  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
North African New Year
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:00:41 PM »
Originally posted by storch
would you consider leaving out the HurriIIc.  It will be a HO'n HurriIIc fest. otherwise the set up looks fine. Thanks OM.
The HurriIIc seems to fit in the timeframe of this setup, and it doesn't seem to be too fast for this planeset. And if the Hurricane-pilots have no other moves than the HO, you should have no problem evading those and getting to their tail to shoot 'em down.

Setup looks good to me. :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
North African New Year
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 07:04:01 PM »
looks good :aok

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
North African New Year
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:13:19 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
The HurriIIc seems to fit in the timeframe of this setup, and it doesn't seem to be too fast for this planeset. And if the Hurricane-pilots have no other moves than the HO, you should have no problem evading those and getting to their tail to shoot 'em down.

Setup looks good to me. :)

Yep but the watermelon part is that Hurri2Cs take ALOT of MG151s.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

storch

North African New Year
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »
not just that, the hurri was relegated to the ground attack role by this time during war because it couldn't compete with the opposition fighters.  sadly in it's HTC representation it is almost the epitome of a late war frontline fighter.  The same may also be said of the Bf110s especially the C4.  I would say substitute the mossie for the much overused woobiecane and you will have a better representation of the spirit of the times.  you will also see an important fighter/bomber that is little used in the CT.  The spitV is great the way it is now.  We have choices in the allied inventory that are seldom played, the mossie being one of them.  to be a nit picker this set up in it's current iteration will be a hurriIIc vs a Bf109F one.  The CT staff has the ability to change the dynamics by eliminating an overmodelled and overused plane and ending up with an interesting and challenging week for both sides.  You could by the same logic eliminate the overmodelled Bf110C4 and substitute the 190F8 in it's stead, it would have the same basic bomb loadout and not be the uber fighter it never was.  just a thought.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
North African New Year
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »
not just that, the hurri was relegated to the ground attack role by this time during war because it couldn't compete with the opposition fighters.  sadly in it's HTC representation it is almost the epitome of a late war frontline fighter.  The same may also be said of the Bf110s especially the C4.  I would say substitute the mossie for the much overused woobiecane and you will have a better representation of the spirit of the times.  you will also see an important fighter/bomber that is little used in the CT.  The spitV is great the way it is now.  We have choices in the allied inventory that are seldom played, the mossie being one of them.  to be a nit picker this set up in it's current iteration will be a hurriIIc vs a Bf109F one.  The CT staff has the ability to change the dynamics by eliminating an overmodelled and overused plane and ending up with an interesting and challenging week for both sides.  You could by the same logic eliminate the overmodelled Bf110C4 and substitute the 190F8 in it's stead, it would have the same basic bomb loadout and not be the uber fighter it never was.  just a thought.

To borrow a line from Saving Private Ryan........ " Now thats how you complain" Good points , and well presented. Storch has some good ideas here. The only thing I don't agree with is that every Allied flyer will be in a HurriIIc. I know I won't and I know a few others that won't. I don't like flying RAF stuff.  Plus not everybody gravitates to the perceived uber picks. Although I agree enough will to make it bothersome.:aok

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
North African New Year
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 09:31:43 PM »
The CT staff has the ability to change the dynamics by eliminating an overmodelled and overused plane and ending up with an interesting and challenging week for both sides.

I'm curious, how do you know the Hurricane (or the 110 for that matter) are overmodeled? You throw that term around a lot and I never see you back it up with any evidence. How exactly is it overmodeled?

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
North African New Year
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 11:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I'm curious, how do you know the Hurricane (or the 110 for that matter) are overmodeled? You throw that term around a lot and I never see you back it up with any evidence. How exactly is it overmodeled?

Hmm lets see. I was told the Hurri was made outa wood and thats why it can take so much damage, yet at the same time Iv lit them up many times and they burned for 2mins+. As for the 110s both are way over modeled. They both turn way to good, and as crumpp said before why if the 110s were that good did they even try to make other planes. How it is now the C4 can out turn a spit5 with ease and give the spit1 a run for its money, and the G2 can out turn pretty much any plane in its time frame.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

storch

North African New Year
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 11:49:12 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
empirical evidence?  I have none.  historical evidence ok here is what I believe from reading many different books.  by 1942 the Hurricane was completely outclassed as a fighter and was relegated to the ground attack role.  it was a 1935 design entering squadron service in 1937.  during the BoB it was assigned the important task of primarily dealing with bomber interception because it could not effective deal with the Bf109E.  while the hurricane did down more German A/C than the spitfire did during the BoB was primarily due to it's greater numbers at that stage of the war.  does that sound like the HTC hurri to you?  it doesn't to me.  The Bf110 while much maligned for it's performance during the BoB was actually a pretty good all around fighter excelling in bomber interception as a night fighter.  however there was no way it could turn against single engined fighters.  does that sound like the HTC bf110 to you? it doesn't to me.  If we were to consider the modelling presented by HTC as representative of these aircraft then we can conclude the both the RAE and RLM made considerable errors in not selecting these designs for further developement and cancelling other designs like the spitfire and the 109s.  let alone ever even consider the 190.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
North African New Year
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 11:54:22 PM »
Originally posted by Larry
Hmm lets see. I was told the Hurri was made outa wood and thats why it can take so much damage, yet at the same time Iv lit them up many times and they burned for 2mins+.

The Hurricane was a tube steel frame with canvas skin, shells go through, not explode on the outside like a stressed skin.

How it is now the C4 can out turn a spit5 with ease and give the spit1 a run for its money, and the G2 can out turn pretty much any plane in its time frame.

Want to test the theory?