Author Topic: Is there a speed limit with ord strapped on?  (Read 286 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Is there a speed limit with ord strapped on?
« on: January 01, 2006, 09:32:53 AM »
Is there a speed limit for planes with ord strapped on?

Or, would a wrong "attitude" of the plane during bombing run and such hurt or damage the plane - like, going into a deep negative Gs or turning, swaying, rolling, being upside down when bombs are released?

Offline justin_g

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 07:44:27 PM »
Absolutely. Thats why divebombers had any centreline bomb on a swing-arm, to clear the propellor when its released in a near-vertical dive.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:28:41 PM »
What about speed limits?

To be frank, the reason I'm asking this is because of the 400mph+ suicidal jabos we see in the MA. If a typhoon or a P-51 strapped with 2K ordnance comes at over 10k, it's practically unstoppable. Not only is the dar range inadequate (if we actually detect a con within dar range, the chances are that con (if it is a jabo) is already starting an attack run and speeding up), but even if we detect its position at alt the Typh or P-51, or any such similar plane would just go into a straight dive to the target - by the time an interceptor reaches within 400 yards the jabo is already releasing bombs.

Can a plane strapped on with such external ordnance just dive upto great speeds without any problems?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 10:32:42 PM »
I think currently the only limitations are drag-based. Any given bomb subtracts "x" mph from the plane's current speed. However, if you're diving from 15k you can still break 550mph before dropping (in AH, I mean).

Offline SMIDSY

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 03:47:58 AM »
WWII bombs were by and large poor in terms of airodynamics. thus they had a very low terminal velocity in relation to their mass. but there is no absolute speed limit if you have ord mounted on hardpoints, it mearly slows you down slightly. the main limiting factor to speed is the sheer mass of the bombs, not the airodynamics. (i actually remembered some stuff from physics class)