Author Topic: Serious wing loading  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2006, 02:51:02 PM »
and neither do we need the F14 tomcat.

Only time will tell through trial by fire, if this "Super Tanker" is a well suited replacement for our Carriers first line of deffence.

Even the Jolly Rodger paint looks out of place on the Super Tanker. :(
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »
I'm not impressed with ANY of the paint schemes on the new super hornets... They look butt ugly comapred to some of the legacy hornets' paint schemes. Maybe they just need time to find some that don't make my eyes bleed.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:24 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Didn't the JSF used to have a wierd nose scoop instead of cheek scoops?? I remember seeing pics of the plane with a different configuration, but it was some time ago.

You are probably thinking of Boeings X32. And yes.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:05 PM »
Didn't the JSF used to have a wierd nose scoop instead of cheek scoops?? I remember seeing pics of the plane with a different configuration, but it was some time ago.

that was the Boeing effort at the JSF competition.  One smurfy, smurfy aeroplane.

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 02:57:08 PM »
You might have seen the BOEING X32 prototype, which was god-awful...

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/USAircraft/JSF.html

And was awful to reconfigure for VTOL.  Needless to say, they Lost that contract.

No self respecting zoomie would ever pick somethign that ugly

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 03:01:42 PM »
was always partial to the F16 ....

as a kid :rofl

shows how old all these planes are.

i will say the F16 SOUNDS sweet in person.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »
The -16 is deafening... Saw one at an airshow ages back as a kid and the shriek was astoundingly loud (just on spool-up, too).

Ah, yes, that WAS the Boeing plane I was thinking of. Doesn't the F35 have VTOL (or STOL) capabilities, as well?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 03:13:20 PM »
I doubt it was as loud as this. :)

Low pass

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »
One version does...There are versions for each service that needs em....

Air Force (F-35A)

Marine Corps STOVL (F-35B)

Navy (F-35C)

There are also international configurations for the RAF and others

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 03:17:35 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus

Low pass

OMG that gives me a hard on....I need to get to an airshow...

I love the sucking/squealing right before it goes over head, followed by the roar

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 03:17:40 PM »
I didn't think the euros would touch the F35 with a 3.3 meter pole. I thought they wanted to use their beloved Eurofighter and their tornados/jaguars/etc. ?

Offline Casper1

• Nickel Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »
The Europeans are actively involved int he procurement/production of the JSF.

Probably not as much as they want to be, but they want it for sure...

Britain's Blair writes Bush on F-35 engine deal: British Prime Minister Tony Blair has written to U.S. President George W. Bush to try to save a multibillion-dollar contract to develop an engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Pentagon's costliest warplane program, people familiar with the matter said on Tuesday. "A letter went from the prime minister to the president shortly before Christmas," said a person who asked not to be identified because of the matter's sensitivity. At issue is a Pentagon plan, reported last week but in the works for more than a month, to kill a $2.4 billion General Electric Co. -Rolls-Royce Plc contract to develop an alternate turbofan engine for the fighter. Pratt & Whitney is building the engine that will go in the first F-35s, a family of single-engine, radar-evading aircraft being built by Lockheed Martin Corp. Proponents of an alternate engine have cited potential savings through competition. They also describe it as a hedge against having to ground the fleet in case of engine trouble. But developing a second engine has boosted development costs, something the Pentagon is under pressure to pare. If upheld by the White House and Congress in budget wrangling, canceling the project could mean tens of billions of dollars in extra sales over decades for Pratt & Whitney. Saving the alternate engine program "was the purpose of (Blair's) letter," another person familiar the matter said. The White House did not return a phone call seeking comment. (Reuters)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Serious wing loading
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
I didn't think the euros would touch the F35 with a 3.3 meter pole. I thought they wanted to use their beloved Eurofighter and their tornados/jaguars/etc. ?

The British are helping develop it.  BAe Systems (British Aerospace) and Rolls Royce are partners in the project.

UK Involvement
The programmme to fulfill the Harrier aircraft replacement is known in the UK as the Joint Combat Aircraft (JCA) programme, lead by the UK Ministry of Defence Procurement Agency JCA IPT.  In September 2002, the UK Government announced that the STOVL version of the JSF had been selected to meet the requirement to succeed the RAF and RN Harriers.  The UK has been a full collaborative partner with the US since the Concept Demonstration Phase of the JSF programme began in 1996. United Kingdom technology figured heavily in the JSF design, and UK test pilots and flight engineers were instrumental in demonstrating that technology. In the UK alone, the Lockheed Martin JSF team will create approximately 3,400 jobs during System Development and Demonstration (SDD); and during the 30 year production and support phase 8,400 direct, and many thousands indirect, long term, highly skilled, highly paid jobs will be created. The production of the planned 2,593 UK and US aircraft will generate more than £20 billion for UK companies during System Development and Demonstration, and Production and Support. Current international export projections for an additional 2,000 to 3,000 aircraft could mean an extra £24 billion for UK companies over the life of the programme. Additional long-term UK business opportunities exist through major roles in spares production, design evolutions and upgrade programmes.

http://www.lockheedmartin.co.uk/products/jsf.html

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline navajoboy

• Probation
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.uknightedstates.net
Serious wing loading
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus

Low pass

yeah seen a fly over like that at the Minot AFB's  Northern Neighbors Day .. anyways it scared the crap out of my 4 year old son.
Stovpipe aka Navajo
Uknighted 357th FG - JG26
-+= Foreign Relations Minister =+-
http://www.uknightedstates.net

Offline BBQ_Bob

• Silver Member
      • http://uknightedstates.net
Serious wing loading
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 03:44:33 PM »
Originally posted by Casper1
........I love the sucking/squealing right before it goes over head.........

I need a cigarette. :aok
UKNIGHTED Propaganda Minister
"There are no Hells Angels in the MA, never"

"they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."

For a good time ~~ www.uknightedstates.net