Author Topic: for the newbie, rookie, non pilot  (Read 880 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
for the newbie, rookie, non pilot
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:26:07 AM »
how about some guys posting non-tech, pilot speech fighter tactics that the newb's,rookie, and non ex fighter jocks can use!! use E, save E, hook this, spit that, let's get simple here. some of us were grunt, mechs, whatever. seems we give a lot of info to a very few, the rest take a look and say wtf and leave. let's give them things they can easily grasp and use.  a 60 year old shut in, and a grade schoold/highschool player may be turned on to the game by the graphics and excitemnt, but if the learning curve is to huge they ain't going to waste the time joining the family of fanatics that we have become. give em enough to make em fun to play tag with!!!!!! AND THAT MY RANT FOR THE YEAR (swear to god it is man):furious

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 07:03:41 AM »
:huh

Actually, I am/was one of those know-nothing-non-pilots. I had to learn all those term as well, when i started playing AH (my first flight sim btw). And all that in a foreign language none the less.

Yes, AH has a rather steep learning curve, but hey, its a SIM, not an arcade ego-shooter-click-n-boum.

Some advanced stuff about air combat *is* difficult and needs lots of technical terms related to air combat.

My advice would be: as a *newbie*, start with the basics. Find it at http://www.netaces.org - lots of articles there explain the basic workings of flying/air combat. Check out http://www.SimHQ.com for more advanced articles. And, by all means, if you dont understand a certain word/term/article - ASK for explanations. Youll get it, im sure.

Think of it like learning to drive a car. Do you thing your teacher could help you without using termas as 'street' 'steering wheel' 'clutch' 'gear shift' 'turn' 'indicator' 'gasoline' and the like?? So how do you expect people to teach you air combat without using terms as 'Energy' 'Spitfire' 'turn rate' 'aileron' 'trim' etc?

So, i guess what i want to say is: to learn Air Combat, youll have to be willing to put a little effort into it.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:12:06 AM »
Maybe you want to check out this game....

Forgotten noobs

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 07:26:44 AM »
Well said Schatzi!

Fact of the matter is each person really ends up teaching themselves.

Yes they have a little help along the way in some cases.
But learning to understand the terms, then the concepts, then put it all together is up to us.

Either you care enough to do it, or you don't.

This is a good thing, AH community is big enough, we don't need it full of people who don't care enough to give it their best.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Maybe you want to check out this game....

Forgotten noobs
[/QUOTE

Queen takes pawn!

Max]

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
Something like this post I made for new players?? http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167443

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 01:39:57 PM »
Oh Schatzi

Forgotten noobs

Thats a classic

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »
Maybe we should start here. Some of it might get silly...but there are some real AH Lingo terms here.
The un-official complete guid to Aces High Lingo

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
well at least one got it
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 11:45:06 PM »
Thanks mugzee! The point or RANT i was trying to make is that a lot of the so called experienced players here get to technical/jargo heavy with the newer guys. Give them simple ways to defend/defeat an apponent of similar or slightly better skill. Mugzee's link was nice, he should re-post that every few months or so as there were even a few i didn't know or remember right offhand.  I've been playing for 3 years solid here now, at least 2 days a week and i've seen a lot of the new/young guys get totally turned of within a day or so because of the lack of help in getting into the swing of the game. They either leave or become 2 week B.S. talkers that ruin a lot of others fun. It's up to the senior guys to show the noobs that this game can be fun, addictive, and easy for an inexperienced player to get a grip on.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 03:57:10 AM »
Actually you have a point there.

The problem is much easier to explain the complicated problems when:

1. defining and specifing a specific vocabulary

2. explaining the stuff in that vocabulary

So basically what you want is not people who explain it directly in common language but places to learn the specific language and then learning the stuff. Let me give you an example:

When you meet another pilot in a plane that is constructed to do air to air combat and he is trying to come and fight with you you fly into his direction, but try to pass him with a diffrence in altitude or side by side distance. Before you pass him you turn in his direction, then you turn up and pull on your stick to get your plane turn upwards and then into the other direction. Now when you fly upside down you roll your plane around by 180 degrees and turn to the direction of your enemy but keep your alt or eaven climb.

Then you climb in a circle and try to get above him with more altitude and the same speed.
When you get to a position above him and behind him you loose altitude and turn hard so you get behind him and shoot him down.

Or

When you merge with another fighter pull an immelman and then a climbing spiral. When you see you have more E than him attain a high six position and use the E advantage to get directly onto his 6.

Explaining the concepts, moves and vocabularys makes explaining the whole fight strategy not only easier but possible, since no one will really understand it if you explain every detail together with the whole, most people will loose the focus and overview.

PS: try to put paragraphs or eaven empty lines into the posting and it will be much easier to read.

See: The problem is much easier to explain the complicated problems when: First defining and specifing a specific vocabulary then explaining the stuff in that vocabulary So basically what you want is not people who explain it directly in common language but places to learn the specific language and then learning the stuff. Let me give you an example. When you meet another pilot in a plane that is constructed to do air to air combat and he is trying to come and fight with you you fly into his direction, but try to pass him with a diffrence in altitude or side by side distance. Before you pass him you turn in his direction, then you turn up and pull on your stick to get your plane turn upwards and then into the other direction. Now when you fly upside down you roll your plane around by 180 degrees and turn to the direction of your enemy but keep your alt or eaven climb.  Then you climb in a circle and try to get above him with more altitude and the same speed. When you get to a position above him and behind him you loose altitude and turn hard so you get behind him and shoot him down. Or when you merge with another fighter pull an immelman and then a climbing spiral. When you see you have more E than him attain a high six position and use the E advantage to get directly onto his 6.Explaining the concepts, moves and vocabularys makes explaining the whole fight strategy not only easier but possible, since no one will really understand it if you explain every detail together with the whole, most people will loose the focus and overview.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 06:11:36 AM »
Very good point Schutt!

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »
OK I scored 7800 on  Forgotten noobs my first time playing Schatzi. Does that mean I am ready for AH yet?;)
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 03:04:07 AM »
Originally posted by SLED
OK I scored 7800 on  Forgotten noobs my first time playing Schatzi. Does that mean I am ready for AH yet?;)

:lol    WTG!!

To be honest, i rarely make it above 5000..... and ive never gotten that §"$%&§$%&4 BnZ Luftweenie at the end of level. f**** cherry picker!!!!!!!!
So: ready for AH..... not sure, but i decided to play it anyway ;).

:D

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
Next time you go in for surgery you want the Doctor to say 'OK, person with the white mask on, pass me that sharp thing, I got cut thru all this stuff to reconnect the goesinta back to the goesouta'?

Some thing are technical in nature and to understand the last chapter in the book it needs to be that way.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54