Author Topic: Why Always Top Speed?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Why Always Top Speed?
« on: January 05, 2006, 01:21:09 PM »
I have a question.

It seems that a vast majority of discussions about perking planes, or unperking them, or which plane is better, etc, the top speed of the plane in question is used as part of the reasoning, for or against.

So the question is, why do we talk about top speed and not acceleration to the AVERAGE speed of what the typical furball runs at?

For example (Forgive not using actual numbers and simplifying the acelleration comparision to linear acceleration from 0 to S-Max)

Plane A: S-Max at 0 ASL = 385 MPH, Time to S-Max = 2 minutes, or +3.21 MPH/Second
Plane B: S-Max at 0 ASL = 360 MPH, Time to S-Max = 1.25 minutes, or +4.8 MPH/Second

Now, if the average combat speed is 300 MPH, it would seem that Plane B holds the advantage most of the time.

If both starting at 0 MPH, Plane B will reach 300 MPH in 62.5 seconds, while it would take Plane A 93.45 seconds to reach that same speed.

During initial entry into a fight, many planes are at or near S-Max, but it doesn't take many turns to find most well below 300 MPH and barely above the tree level.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:55:00 PM »
Because only top speed allows you to run away and save your perk points by flying conservatively.  Accelerating rapidlly to a mediocre speed does nothing to save your perk plane from fresh fighters that are just arriving at high speed.  In the mid-range speed aircraft you can be chased down and killed even if your fly conservatively.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »
The acceleration definitely matters if you plan on staying for a turn or two, but its irrelelvant if you're doing a pure BnZ flight -- as many MA'ers do. When it comes to diving in and running away, top speed becoimes the dominant stat.

PLus, its easier to access than acceleration time. Never underestimate the power of laziness when it comes to arguing....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:29:06 PM »
Partly because in a given situation the plane with more E can attack the plane with less E at will.  The low E plane can only defend and try to reverse on the attacker.

Partly because acceleration and top speed are closely related.  

Acceleration is a function of EXCESS thrust (that is the amount of thrust left over after compensating for drag) vs. weight.  In you example you gave, plane A has more excess thrust then plane B at any normal combat speed.  Another example of this would be the P-51D and the Spit IX.  The Spit has a better power to weight ratio, and better climb rate so you would think it would accelerate faster.  If they were to drag race down the runway the Spit would smoke the pony.  But if you start the two of them at 250mph on the deck the P-51 will reach the Spit's top level speed first, and then keep accelerating!  

Also a lot of fights result in a dive to the deck as the loser of the maneuvering battle attempts to escape.  In these situations the airplanes generally reach about the same speed in the dive, and then decelerate to their max speed - the faster plane will almost always win these kind of chases (either escaping or catching the target) if the dive started from a relatively even E state.

So basically the higher top speed gives you the initiative to start the combat by attacking, and the performance to escape if necessary, or catch anyone who tries to flee from you.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
I think the ability to engage and disengage at will, coupled with overall usage stats, should be (is) the basis of perkage.  YMMV, I have too many perks to spend anyway.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 02:51:11 PM »
Partly because acceleration and top speed are closely related.

Um, not really. However... Climb rate does equal acceleration exactly.

The two dominant stats in the MA environment are, top speed and climb rate. Having an advantage with either over your opponent provides for straightforward tactics to give you the kill. You can exploit either for a net gain in energy during combat. I.e. Roping or circle climbing in a plane with superior climb, or extending in a plane with higher top speed will quickly give you the E advantage over your opponent.

Turning ability is great but does not typically give you a net gain in energy during the fight. I would not call turning ability, roll rate, or any other performance measurement dominant stats. They help, but they do not allow you to dictate the terms of the engagement the way speed and climb allow you to.

g00b

Offline Sable

• Copper Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 03:17:36 PM »
Originally posted by g00b
Climb rate does equal acceleration exactly.

At a given speed and altitude.  Look at my example - what is the Spit IX's sustained RoC at 350mph and 0ft?  How about the P-51?  

A big top speed advantage will yield an acceleration advantage in the meaningful range of the airspeed indicator.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Why Always Top Speed?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »
Because the PERK the XXX Plane preachers want you to fly their way....and fly what they want you to. As if that wasnt enough. HT then decided to decide for us (When ) it was OK to fly what we want to. ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 06:34:08 PM by Mugzeee »